Wake vs. UNC Preview

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LuvDaBears, Oct 23, 2003.

1. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    A big ACC match this Saturday night at Wake. I haven't seen the Deacs since very early this season. I know stats can be very deceiving, but the numbers make it look like Moose is having a sophomore slump. Is he being double teamed, tightly marked, etc.? Or, are his numbers just misleading? Also, does anyone know if Solle is injured?

On paper, Wake has a lot more depth than Carolina, but will that matter in this game? I have a feeling this game will be a track meet.

2. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    I've seen Wake a few times. Teams don't seem to be treating Justin any differently, e.g. double teaming him. I'd call it a slump.

Solle played the last two minutes of the NC State game. I don't think he's hurt--he's just not playing. Wake has a lot of depth. When Solle has played he's looked very good. He might just have to wait his turn. (Assumming he can hang in there long enough. ;))

3. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    The Wake-UNC match on Saturday figures to be a battle, and is a match that, as a Heel fan, scares me. It would not surprise me at all to see Wake pull out a big win, leaving UNC at 2-2-1 in the conference.

Wake has a lot of weapons and people have forgotten about them since the beginning of the year when they were supposed to be the clear #2 in the ACC behind Maryland.

Wake students in general absolutely hate UNC. The atmosphere at Spry Stadium is awesome for a UNC-Wake game, with the frat boys on couches at the "street" side providing crass, yet colorful, commmentary on the game.

UNC has yet to step up in a big away game yet this season. They've done quite well at neutral sites, but it will be good to see how the young guns handle a hostile atmosphere. Even more importantly, the result of the game could have some bearing on who gets more home games in the NCAA tournament.

My prediction: UNC 1, Wake 0

The young guns will show their class.

4. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    this game will play a big role in the positioning of these two teams within the acc, and has an impact potentially on 2nd through 4th place in the acc table which leads to who plays who in the acc tournament. there are of course some other games to play, but the results of this one will position the winner to potentially secure 2nd place and the loser to perhaps drop to 4th. stay tuned