Wake vs. Duke (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by LuvDaBears, Oct 31, 2003.

1. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Deacons hammer Duke 4-0. Goals by Curfman, White, Sealy, Alexander. Wake outshoots Duke 17-8. Corners were 7-1 in favor of Wake.

Can anyone explain to me why Ryan Solle is not playing for Wake? He's a U-18 national teamer. Also, heard that David Worthen quit the team recently. How in the world is Wells Thompson starting at Wake, ahead of Solle, and Ryan Alexander? Thompson is nothing but a hack, and a bad one at that.

2. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Can't answer those questions, but Steve Curfman's goal yesterday was absolutely NASTY!

This is a really solid team and they seem to be getting better as the year progresses instead of vis versa. Normally they start to look vulnerable towards the end of the year. Right now they don't.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Should be interesting to see what Wake does in the postseason. Usually they self destruct. My guess is they will follow suit, and blow up in the playoffs. The only ACC team that will do any damage in December is Maryland.

4. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Lineup

Well, when he has played, Ryan Solle has been a center attacking mid position since coming to Wake.

That position has been occupied by four-year starter and assist wizard Vicente Bastidas.

Solle is still a major figure in Wake Forest's future plans.

Wells Thompson has been starting as a right flank mid. That is a position that Ryan Alexander has occupied. But Alexander just hasn't been real effective this year. Alexander lost his starting job to Thompson about a month ago.

As far as Wells being a "bad hack" ... I don't know where that comes from. No one on Wake Forest's team is really physical with the exception of Amir Lowery and Ryan Caugherty (who is coming off the bench now).

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    First of all, Solle is much better than Bastidas, so there must be something going on there. Thompson is a hack, I've seen it for years at the club level, and he's half the player Ryan Alexander is.

Is it true that Justin Moose has not scored all season?

6. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Say what you will Bear, but right now it is hard to argue with success. Here are Wake's October stats.

Record in October 8-0.

Record in ACC in October 4-0

Goals for 30. Goals against 5. Goals for in ACC play 13. Goals against in ACC play 2.

Obviously the coach has done something right the last month.

7. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    You can give the coach the credit, but I would say their midseason decline and then their resurgence could be more closely attributed to Jeremiah White's health.

8. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    White's return has been a big part. Another key has been the play of Steve Curfman. He was worked into the mix slowly after returning from Finland. Now tied for the team lead in assists with 6 (plus 2 goals) and taking all the corners and dangerous direct kicks.

9. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I'll see them next week at the ACC tournament, but what position is Curfman playing for Wake?

10. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    It's never as simple as anyone thinks.

1... Solle is still making the adjustments to being in college. Once he gets those things sorted out, he'll be ready to play.

Even if you don't believe that... why would Jay take a senior captain, a four-year starter with something like 25 career assists off the field for a freshman -- no matter his background.

If you want to put Solle in the lineup for someone else... fine. But not for Vinny.

2... Curfman is playing left attacking mid in Wake Forest 3-5-2. (almost a 3-2-3-2).

3... Ryan Alexander has been ineffective and selfish (on and off the field). That's why we're seeing Wells Thompson.

11. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Thanks Hereinwinston. I'm not saying a senior should be displaced by a freshman...I was just curious why Solle wasn't getting ANY clock over the last month or so. He looked very good early in the season.

Interesting alignment, 3-2-3-2. Is Moose playing like a withdrawn forward in the center of the park? He usually likes to roam all over.

Why did Worthen quit the team?

12. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Moose is playing across from Curfman as the right attacking mid.

The lineup lately has been:

Sealy - Szczypiorski
    Curfman - Bastidas - Moose
    Lowery - Thompson
    Riley - Parkhurst - Saunders

Worthen left because he didn't feel like he would get a chance to play this year. And he was probably right. He's been gone since early September.

As far as Wake Forest picking its play since Jeremiah White returned from the broken cheekbone... well, sort of. You can't understate the importance of Jerry to Wake Forest. But he hasn't been the main reason Wake Forest is playing better.

He missed 3 1/2 games from South Carolina until UNC with an injury. He's still coming off the bench. In fact, he hasn't started a game since South Carolina on October 12.

I'd attribute Wake Forest's offensive output to the re-emergence of Scott Sealy.

But again. . . what makes Wake Forest a national title contender this year (and last) is William Hesmer, Michael Parkhurst, Wiggy Saunders and James Riley. The backline is just very tough to crack. Michael Parkhurst (central) should be 1st Team All-ACC this year.

13. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    HereInWinston--

Know anything about Hugh Cronin from Winston-Salem choosing to go to NC State next year?

Did Wake want him? Why choose to go to Tarantini country?

14. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I hear about some of the guys that Wake Forest recruits but not all.

Don't know anything about Hugh Cronin.

I'm not real familiar with youth soccer. For example, Wells Thompson grew up here in town but I didn't know anything about him until he put on the Old Gold and Black.