Wake - UNC (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Carolina, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    Good win for Wake 4 - 0. First half was fairly evenly matched with Wake taking a 1 - 0 lead on a header off a nice cross from Steve Curfman.
    Carolina had several breakdowns in the back in the second half to take themselves out of it.

2. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Don't be fooled by the final scoreline in this one, though Wake deserves full credit for a convincing win. I had my doubts about UNC's chances before the game, but I thought the young guns would pull through. Wake proved to be too much, and in the process showed they are a real contender for ACC and national honors.

Got to the game a little late and didn't see Wake's first goal, but from what I understand it was a classic cross and finish. Both teams played well in the first half, with Wake having a few chances and UNC hitting the post once. Watson was giving the Wake defense some problems in the 1st half, yet Storey was taken out and didn't play the second part of the first stanza. UNC lacked anyone to pair up top with Watson, as Dixon Soffee tried mightily to complement Watson, but he's just not a striker. Heels definitely missed Corey Ashe who was out with an ankle injury suffered before the NCSU game--he was walking with a considerable limp as the teams left for the lockers at half time.

The 2nd half saw UNC come out inspired as they had several chances in the first 20 minutes. To be honest, the Heels should have scored once, if not 3 times. I've been a huge proponent of Storey's ablility to change games without scoring, yet he didn't look himself tonight. He had two great chances in the 2nd half--one a quasi 1v1 with Hesmer and the other a low cross, both of which he put about 20 yards over the goal. A great striker would have made both, and Storey needs to make at least one of them. Harrington (who was quite impressive on the ball) had a golden opportunity on a ball that bounced around the box and came to him. He teed it up for what seemed like an eternity and hit a volley from 10' that sent Hesmer diving wildly and would have had him beat if it was not for the Wake defender who jumped in front and deflected it away.

At this point you wondered when UNC would finally score. They were completely controlling the game even down 1-0 and looked composed and confident. Then, the mistake in the back. On a through ball in the box, McGinty shielded Jeremiah White, thinking Ford Williams was coming to pick it up. As White applied pressure, Williams thought McGinty was going to kick it wide. The slight hesitation allowed White the millisecond he needed to stick his boot in and score from 6' out. A complete breakdown. And after this UNC was done. It wasn't long before White scored again. At 3-0, Wake was in complete control and scored again in the last 2 minutes after all was done except the crying.

I'm convinced that if UNC finishes any of the 3 clear chances in the 2nd half, it's a different game altogether. I don't know if they would have pulled out a victory, but Wake was not 4-0 better than UNC. That being said, both teams are good and will look to have promising postseaon runs. For Wake this is a great momentum builder. It will be interesting to see how the very young UNC team handles the adversity.

-------------------------------------------------
    A few thoughts:

--why did Storey come out in the 1st half(he also came out with about 15 left in the 2nd). UNC has a much less potent attack without him and Ashe

--What a difference a year makes...Last couple years UNC was the much more direct team, booming balls to Kneipper. This year they play to their strengths by playing on the ground and using Storey, Waston, Ashe, Harrington, etc. Wake is very direct, sending through balls to White and Sealy. Yet, they are very effective because they don't just kick and run...it is a controlled, direct attack with great supporting players like Moose and Bastidas.

--Great crowd, about 3,800 paid with many more enjoying beer, bbq, and the free view on the hill. Spry Stadium is one of the best places to watch a college game in the country. The area is nice, the stands are close to the field, and the pitch is flat and big. A great night and a great crowd...largest regular season crowd in Spry history!

3. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    C24, no matter how many pretty words you put around it, 4-0 sounds like a good spanking to me. I could probably go for 2-0 and even might fall for 3-0 as being close, but 4-0 falls out of my range of trying to explain how close it was. I don't want to take anything away from UNC, because I know they are a good team, but Wake clobbered them last night. This makes things really interesting at the 2-4 spots in the ACC standing.

4. HereInWinston

HereInWinston New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Giving credit where credit is due

Been lurking for a while and have decided to finally get into the mix. I'm very familiar with ACC soccer because I work at Wake Forest.

I did not graduate from Wake Forest, consider myself to be a pretty objective observer.

I was at the WF-UNC game last night. I attend all Wake Forest's games.

I'll give you that Wake Forest is not a team that is four goals better than North Carolina every time out. But they obviously can be.

What makes Wake Forest so good is their backline. They just don't give up good chances very often. I think Carolina had three legit scoring chances last night.

Wake Forest had more chances and obviously did a better job of finishing.

Aside from the Curfman to Szczypiorski goal, Wake Forest's goals weren't the most beautiful. But they all resulted from Wake Forest capitalizing on UNC mistakes.

Young teams make mistakes. Veteran teams capitalize.

That's why Wake Forest was the better team last night (by four goals, no less) and that's why Wake Forest is the better team overall. I'd say if those teams met 10 times, Wake Forest would win 7 times out of 10.

Also, don't discount Wake Forest's 27-game unbeaten streak at home (regular season). The Demon Deacons almost always play really well at home in front of those big, big crowds. Almost 3,900 fans last night.

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Frito-- were you even at the game, or are you making your assumptions based entirely on the final scoreline?

Wake was the better team last night, and very well may be much better overall. They are definitely more experienced, and it showed.

Don't forget, folks, that Wake beat UNC 4-2 at Spry in 2001...and then UNC won the NCAA title. I'm not saying that UNC is winning the championship this year, only that one game does not make a season. Wake gets up for the UNC game every year, and they didn't disappoint last night. I think they are one of the top teams in the nation...up there with UCLA and Maryland as a legit title contender.

6. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I have NO idea what game you were watching Cantona. The first half was very even and in the second half Wake clearly controlled the game and capitalized on some complete gufaws by the UNC defense.

4-0 probably is not reflective of the play - perhaps a 2-0 scoreline to Wake would have been. But then again when you make the types of mistakes the UNC defense made with J. White lurking around, 4-0 is not an unfair result.

Make no mistake, this Wake team is good. And they seem to be gaining strength as the season progresses - something that has normally played the other direction for them in the past.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    cantona can't help it...he bleeds tar heel blue, plus, his last name is Bolowich.

For those of you who saw this match, can you tell me who was in UNC's starting 11, and what position they played?

Thanks

8. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Footy Mundo--

Read my post...it's clear that I said that Wake dominated the last 20 minutes and were the better team. The game would have been drastically different if UNC puts in one of their 3 clear chances at the beginning of the 1st half. But they didn't and Wake rolled, which I admitted to.

UNC started the 2nd half like this:

Williams

McGinty Merritt Porter Fumo

Harrington Rhea Shull Allison

Storey Watson

Though Shull and Storey were taken out about halfway through each half. Storey looked nothing like he usually does. Don't know why Shull came out either.

9. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Oh yeah, LDB, almost forgot

Your boy Odgers came in as a central mid in the 1st half, and as a sub for Shull in the 2nd.

After Wake got up 3-0, Merritt moved forward and Odgers went to the back .

10. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Thanks cantona. My guess is that Odgers is playing by default because Elmar has no other options. My guess is he'll have some more midfield depth next season, as well as depth in the back. Doesn't UNC already have commitments from two U-17's, one mid and one back?

I've always said that Storey has world class speed, but the guy is not a finisher. Against NC State, he had a sitter and hit it 5 yards OVER the crossbar. He's an athlete who just happens to play soccer.

I won't see UNC again until the ACC tournament, but it sounds like Wake really handed it to 'em. Wake is very good, and I believe the Deacs depth is second to none in the nation. The only team I've seen that comes close to their depth is Maryland.

Was UNC's backline exposed badly by Wake in this match? I can't say I'm really surprised, since UNC is starting four guys in the back who are all converted defenders. Fumo, Merritt and Porter are all mids, and McGinty is a forward/mid. Is UNC's inability to recruit defenders a sign that there aren't many good defenders out there, or, are all the defenders going elsewhere?

11. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Some of Wake's goals were a matter of exploiting a mistake and then punishing the defense without mercy for said mistake. And some of the mistakes were pretty bad.