Wags in the news

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
  2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Told you that kid had work rate and stanima.

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And apparantly a sense of humor too.....Ron Burgen.....that's pretty funny....but did he really think anyone would know who David Wagenfuhr was???

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty darn good 5K time.

5. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Yes, it's a good time but, what killed me was that the girl that won the women's race almost ran faster than I ever did when I was in the Marine Corps. I think I beat her by just a couple of seconds.

6. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
  7. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yea I found it funny he felt the need to use a fake name as well. An MLS rookie who never saw the field probably is not very recognizable. And I doubt the organizers would care if they knew who he was, which I highly doubt. good to see he is in tip top shape though

8. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    mebbe he used the pseudonym in case he didn't do well (not having raced for many years) and didn't want to drag down the name of soccer---totally unfounded worry. Congrats!

Toni Nhleko crossed the finish line in 17 hours 03 minutes and 04 seconds, seated in a sedan chair carried by John Wagner, Mike Jeffries, Colin Clarke and Jenny Craig :•} Wish he HAD used a pseudonym.

9. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    speaking of "in shape" I remember that Bruce Arena's much dreaded "beep test" endurance drill showed
    Frankie Hejduk, Landon Donovan, and Chris Armas to be the fittest of that batch of nats (that was quite a while ago now)---

---who are the fittest of the current bunch---and who are the 3 fittest members of Futbol Clube or is "Clube" portuguese? Dallas no-apostrophe 96 Tex Toros? most likely Wags will be in there?

10. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I say Wags, Stone, and Reyes.

11. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zé Bill again.

12. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    *stifles laughter*
    good one! consider urself repped. ;)

13. nk1soccer

nk1soccer New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    FYI...it was not David Wagenfuhr...it was Jordan Stone pretending to be him...check the picture in the newspaper...

14. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    Wags ran the race and Stone is retiring. I think you got your stories confused.

edit: You said newspaper .. not internet site. Nevermind. I don't have the paper.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The photo department is seperate from the writers.
    Davis (or whoever) writes a story and sends it in.
    The headline guys put a headline on it.
    The picture guys go look for a picture labeled "wagenfuhr" and put it in.
    In this case they may have a pick of Stone with a wagenfuhr label.

Unless the picture is of Stone running in the race with a bib on...

16. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    so...let me try to understand....Jordan Stone maintained that he was David Wagenfuhr during a face to face interview with the DMN's Collin County correspondent?

...and the "paper" DMN had a photo of Jordan ID'ed as Wagenfuhr?...while Wags was on a three-state crime spree?...pushed over the edge no doubt by MLS' pay scale?...and he's gonna split some of the proceeds with clean-living Jordan Stone?...then show up Nov. 1 at the mini-camp grinning like Mr. Cheshire's cat?

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What probably happend was that Wags ran, and the DMN printed a pic of Stone, ID'd as wags by mistake.

then again I didn't see the article.

18. SocFanMan2

SocFanMan2 New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Omaha, NE
    Only caught the article from the link - showed it around to some of the Creighton soccer folks who all commented that David has a great "wicked" sense of humor. I was told that Dave has set or was close to setting some fitness records at Creighton that were held or are held by their cross country runners. One guy in the training office there told me that when people say he can run forever, it's not figurative - it's a literal statement. Not only can he run forever, he's pretty darn fast, too. Great to hear that he still has a sense of humor - you guys will love him, once you get to know him. Even though Creighton is having a great season, several guys have commented about how much they miss him, his leadership, his locker room presence and his steadiness on the field.