Wagner, Solo and Slaton to France

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Dandal, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    In what Foot Féminin calls "un grand coup" (link) Aly Wagner, Danielle Slaton and Hope Solo has signed for french side Olympique Lyonnais (currently 3rd place in the franch league).

The french league is mid-season now, next gameday this weekend. Wagner and Slaton seems cleared to play already on friday, but since Solo played in the swedish league 2004 there is some bureaucracy to deal with before she is eligible to play.

I'm not that familiar with french women's football, but this must be a really great catch for Lyon, maybe even deciding for the championship?!

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What is the expected salary for these players?

3. morecoffee

morecoffee New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I did not know the French even had a league. So why would Pinchon be playing for the 2nd tier W league when she could play pro in France???

4. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Pinchon is playing in France, for the current league leaders Juvisy. It seems like she returned from US in october, but I'm not done checking yet.

I have no idea what it pays to play in France, but if the rumour that Solo didn't sign for a 2nd season with swedish Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC because they couldn't reach an financial agreement, Lyon must be paying more than $2K a month. On the other hand Solo might just have been thrilled by the opportunity to play with Wagner?

5. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, in case you didn't know, "l'OL" as Olympique Lyonnaise is nicknamed is a BIG club with HUGE resources, one of the top men sides in France. If they want to pay they can.

6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Pretty much every European country with any quality on their women football have one (all eight partcipants in the Euro2005 have) , mostlyamateur or semi-pro.
    What I have heard the french leauge is pretty much a 2nd tier leauge. But this could be signaling a serious try to improve its quality, at least from some teams.

7. larz

larz New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    the pay in this league is practically nothing. Players have to have a second job or they will never be able to afford living expenses.

8. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    One reason - Playing with KELLY SMITH

Before Kelly was hurt, they tore through W-League teams like a jet stream thru tissue

9. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Hope Solo has already been playing with a swedish team ...

10. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Ok, some more news on Wagner et al from Foot Féminin (link). They have not yet arrived in France. First game will be the home game on January 23 against Hénin-Beaumont.

Lyon's coach Farid Benstiti says they are expecting one or two more players to sign within the next days (french transfer period ends January 31). Benstiti's ambition is to secure the championship for Lyon with victories in the matches against top sides Montpellier and Juvisy last weekend in January and the first in February.

There is already an american citizen with Lyon, forward Tara Flint, last club stated as William & Mary Tribe Athletics, joined the club last year. As far as I can tell she's not in the starting selection, but has found time as a late sub.

And btw, this is really pushing my highschool french to it's limits. Anybody here that actually understands the language enough to translate?

11. Sabes

Sabes New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Nantes, France
    Hello,

I'm the French webmaster of www.foot-feminin.org

I write to you to confirm the American players in OL (Olympique Lyonnais). They are finally 5 players (Slaton, Wagner, Solo + Lorrie Fair and Christie Welsh). All players arrived this week in Lyon. Wagner and Slaton should be play in the Domestic Cup the next sunday vs. a second level team Marseille.

I don't know how many earn each player but in France, the soccer is always amator. The teams help their players to find a job and sometimes they work in your team.

Sébastien Duret
    sebastien.duret@foot-feminin.fr

12. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sabes, merci for the info. Interesting to see Christie Welsh listed as going to France. I thought she was going back the Sweden. What is the style of play for the league? Is it a physical league?

14. ansonfan

ansonfan New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Luckily, I can read French fairly well and, if you do understand it, foot-feminin is one of the best women's soccer sites on the planet. They cover all the international teams and competitions as well as club play. When I want info, I go there first.

I think it sucks that all these people who should be able to play here are having to go to Europe to find teams. USSoccer had better get off its butt and work at getting a league - WUSA or whatever - reorganized. The USWNT relied on the overwhelming talent of Hamm, Akers, Lilly, Scurry, etc. for years but with them leaving there is no way we will keep up with Europe and the rest of the world without an A League for women. I mean, Mexico will have a women's league before the US does again?

Regarding Pichon and the USL, summer is off-season for Euro leagues, so her being here in the USL had nothing to do with her French play. If I recall, many European players in the WUSA like Prinz with Carolina could not join the squads here until there clubs at home had finished.

As for Kelly Smith, she recently rejoined the Arsenal Ladies with whom she played before. According to their web site they were really glad to have her back. Julie Fleeting of Scotland and the San Diego WUSA franchise is also with Arsenal.

15. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    What Team would NOT want Kelly Smith, She is simply amazing on the ball. Watching her makes all the other players on the Pitch seem like they are moving in slow motion.

IMHO She is the absolute best midfielder in the world

16. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    and she plays with great style as well.

17. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    i thought Christie Welsh plays for Pia Sundah's team in Sweden ..

18. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So did they, I think :)