Wages of the top 13 MLS players vs. wages of the top 15 Liga MX players

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 vevo5, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    I hope this is the right forum for it. It has news and analysis. Hopefully, it will spark some discussions.

originally posted by triplet1

http://www.forbes.com.mx/sites/los-millonarios-del-futbol-mexicano/

http://www.forbes.com.mx/sites/los-15-futbolistas-mejor-pagados-en-mexico/

A few things jump out, to me anyway:

-- When this list was first published on May 3rd, 2013, the top paid player in Liga MX was making $3 million (Suazo). In 2013, the highest paid player in MLS (Henry) earned $4.35m, and, today, three players make over $6 million.

-- In addition to Suazo, only three other Liga MX players made $2m or more annually that season.

-- The top 15 players in Liga MX collectively made $26.3 million. By contrast, this season, the top 13 players in MLS make roughly double ($46m) what the top the top 13 players in Liga MX made in 2013, about $24 million.

-- Four of the five highest paid players in Liga MX were not domestic, but rather from South America.

Taking that all in, if the objective was to have a top CONCACAF team with comparable talent to Liga MX, it appears to me for about $6 million, with some smart shopping a team could get the equivalent of a top Liga MX striker, creative attacking midfielder, goalkeeper and, I suspect, central defender -- in other words, a top class CONCACAF spine.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/4/11/5605210/mls-2014-salaries

13 of MLS highest paid player make 40% of the league wages. That 40% will get even higher with NYC FC and Orlando coming into the league next year with their star DPs. MLS takes unbalance to a whole another level. Is this healthy for the league?

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 vevo5, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    One would think that Mexican Clubs lose money from the transfer market (maybe they are), but look at Monterrey from 2013-2014 that triplet1 provided data for (see below), Monterrey actually made $9.65 million. Could it be that Liga MX as a whole actually make money from the transfer market?

One would reason that a feeder league as a whole would make money from net transfer fee. For example, top division from Netherlands, Portugal, France, Brazil, Argentina are feeder leagues that make profits from the transfer market. It's mostly the 8-12 BIGGEST clubs in the world that lose money from transfers.

Anyway, this is Monterrey 2013-2014 transfer fees received and paid:

2014:

Sales: $7.8 million
    Purchase: $16.55 mil

Net transfer fee: ($8.75 mil)

2013:

Sales: $24.1 million
    Purchase: $5.7 million

Net transfer fee: $18.4 million

Overall net transfer fee from 2013-2014: $9.65 million

2014 Activity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexican_football_transfers_summer_2014

Purchases:

Dorlan Pabón (returned from Valencia, see below) –$8 million
    Stefan Medina from National for $4.25 million
    Juan Rodrigo Rojas from U de Chile for $2 million
    Efraín Velarde from UNAM – undisclosed fee, estimated value $2.3 million

Plus 2 more on loan or returning from previous loan

Sales:

José María Basanta to Fiorentina for $3.8 million
    Leobardo López to Veracruz, undisclosed, estimated value $3 million
    Ricardo Osorio to Queretaro , undisclosed, estimated value $1 million

Seven players out on loan

2013 Activitiy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexican_football_transfers_summer_2013

Purchases:

Lucas António Silva de Oliveira – $2 .7 million
    Marlon de Jesús -- $3 million and loaned to Puebla

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...ticias_del_monterrey_rayados-ispyp-874507.htm

Loan in: Efraín Juárez from America

Sales:

Dorlan Pabón (later returned from Valencia, see above) $10.75 million
    Aldo de Nigris to Chivas, $6.75 milloin
    Walter Ayoví to Pachuca, undisclosed, estimated value $1.9 million
    Jesús Manuel Corona to FC Twente for $4.7 million

Three loans out: Héctor Morales, Édgar Solís (loanee returned to Chivas), César de la Peña to Chiapas

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    When I saw the thread title, I someone knew without looking who started the thread.

Huh.

flange, JasonMa, PTFC in KCMO and 3 others repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *yawn*

DynamoEAR and Oobers repped this.
  5. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unhealthy if it is a permanent condition. But a move toward more parity should happen gradually. Loosening Controls on the low end of the pay scale too much too fast just gets you overpriced mediocre players and less return on selling talent MLS develops.

6. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey mods, can we go ahead and just merge this with the Gringo's Wall of Shame and cut out the middlemen?

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    If the league and/or its teams gain the value they are looking for out of those signings, then yes, it's fine. You can't just look at costs. You need to look at benefits.

henryo repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Healthy for the league? Probably ... They get a lot of mileage by pimping the top 12 or so names in the league ...

Healthy for quality of soccer? No way ... In order to fit these fat cats under the cap we still have to endure too many mediocre players in any given MLS match who could easily be upgraded with a little more even distribution of wages ...

AlbertCamus repped this.
  9. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    With all due respect, if I had thought this appropriate for N&A I would have posted it here myself. Keep in mind, without any analysis, it's just a data point -- and a 2013 data point at that. We're talking about the analysis in "The Road From Here", and Mods, if you are willing, I would prefer to keep the conversation in the existing thread rather than duplicate it here.

It's an interesting point, one I think that is worth discussing, but it isn't "news" IMO and shouldn't be in N&A.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not so easily, unless you increase the number of imports. But you don't want to overdo that and kill incentive to develop homegrowns, which I think is the best long term strategy for improvement in quality and marketability.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. While DPs do eat up a fairly healthy percentage of the cap it does seem like teams have figured out how to work in DPs while still maintaining a quality team. It's gotten to the point that a team that doesn't have a DP is thought of as not even trying for a championship. I'm also not sure how an increase of about $40k in average salary* is going to have that big of an impact on quality..

* $3,100,000 salary budget / 20 on-budget players = $155k average salary, $1,970,000 non-DP salary budget / 17 players = $115k

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You're measuring teams with an internal measuring stick. Sure some MLS teams are going to look great relative to other weaker MLS teams.

What I'm talking about is the quality of soccer in general ... If you went to any of the 99% of managers around the world in any league that aren't subject to MLS rules and gave them $15,000,000 budget almost none of them would decide that the most effective way to build the best team is to sink $12-13,000,000 of that into 2 players ... It just makes no sense from a competitive POV ... Sure most of those managers will skew their wage scale towards a handful of game changer attackers, but they're not going to pay one starter 50X more than another starter ...

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $15m isn't the measuring stick you should be using. $15m is not MLS's salary budget, $3.1m is and certain teams use DPs to go above that with $387k of their salary counting against the budget.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

How many international spots do we have these days ... 8? Imagine if all 8 of those were actual valuable players worth $200,000+ instead of what we have now where there are several international spots are essentially wasted on mediocrity ... And it's not like there isn't a pool of non MLS American/Canadian/green card holder players out there too that could be targeted ...

I understand this is a pointless argument. I get the concept of the DP. It's an arrangement meant to free up the big spending rich owners while still protecting the interests of the cheap K-Mart owners ... Personally I think this is an interim arrangement ... Eventually the salary cap in this league will be high enough that we won't need loopholes to sign top global talent ... Maybe not James Rodriguez type players but I envision a league in my lifetime where an average MLS team can make a play for a $3,000,000/year player within the salary cap ...

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Then what are we talking about exactly? ... If we're ignoring the extra spending outside the salary cap then we're talking about something different ... not what I thought the opening poster was talking about ... I thought we were specifically talking about the top DPs and the wage imbalance ...

Talking about this issue amounts to basically criticizing the DP rule and its application ... so explaining how the rule works is not exactly an argument for it ... Not to say that there aren't valid arguments for it ... but there's definitely valid arguments against ...

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with your line of thinking is that if the DP rule is eliminated, then that money does not become available to use on other players, that money just goes away and you are left with pre-DP MLS. Now, if you're arguing that MLS should increase the salary budget, that's an entirely different subject..

The wage disparity in MLS is an issue and it is a cause for tension within MLS lockerrooms, so that's a valid criticism, but if you're argument is that the DP rule is holding back MLS from increasing the salary budget, I'm not sure that is true.

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    That's exactly what I'm arguing ... I've been around MLS since '96 so I know better than to expect a salary cap tripling overnight ... but I would hope that in the league FO their long term goal would be to raise the cap as aggressively as possible because soccer is a team sport and the quality of the product is only as good as your weakest links in the chain. 12 mega stars won't gloss over the quality of the other 99% of players in the league ... I recognize how far MLS has come in quality and I appreciate the hard work ... but it's hard not to wonder what else those tens of millions could have been spent on ... I'm entertained by the likes of Dempsey and Bradley being in MLS but I could easily do without them if it meant 10 more Higuains and 10 more Valeris and 10 more Mauro Diazes.

18. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a $100-$200k a year league. The DPs are there to appeal to the 90% of Americans who know as much about soccer as an apple does. There are more and more cases where they're being used as a loophole around the salary cap, but it's still a $100-$200k a year league with some names that the average Joe knows.

Liga MX is a $500k a year league. They don't need DPs to sell tickets (unless maybe you're Puebla). They put teams together that can win with budgets in the $20-30M range. They don't have the issue of the average Jose in Guadalajara not knowing jack about soccer so they need to bring in Cheech to sell tickets and get headlines.

Up until very recently the only MLS that you saw on ESPN had to do with the DPs, Beckham in particular. MLS needs DPs because on a scale of 1-10, American soccer awareness is like a 2 or 3. So yeah, they are healthy for the league.

song219 and Stupid_American repped this.
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And therein lies the problem.. While Seattle, Toronto, New York, and LA might be able to afford $15m in salary, the rest of the league cannot.

KCbus repped this.
  20. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is it? Liga MX is a $500k a year league or $20-30M range league?

$500k a year on average per player x 25 players = $12.5 million a year
    $800k - $1.2M a year on average per player x 25 players = $20-$30M range

21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is healthy for the league at all when 15 of the highest paid player next year (with the additional of Villa, Lampard, Kaka) will account for more than 50% of the total wages.

I agree. And this TFC fan (Super) will agree with you. He wrote this when Seattle added Dempsey:

I think my main beef with the MLS is the DP rule. It made sense when Beckham came out. But now it's just stupid. Again, the fact that Seattle could get themselves 8 $1 mil players instead of Dempsey is shocking. Imagine how good that Seattle team would be? A hell of a lot better than it is today, that's for sure. Same cost. Think about that. It's hard to justify the existence of such a system. When speaking to Europeans it is usually what they are the most shocked by. It's very Mickey Mouse to them. To me, the fact that Garber and Co. would prefer bringing in "stars" instead of greatly improving the league is seriously lacking in judgement. People aren't going to watch the MLS because Dempsey is playing. Maybe the first few games. But it's the quality of play that brings the masses to the game. Smaller clubs will survive. Just like in ANY other league.

Let's stop trying to save the weak teams/markets by holding back the teams that could truly be GREAT in the international community (imagine Seattle, LA, New York, Toronto in the CCL if we had $20 mil teams - spread out on 11 players.. We'd truly be a frightening class of teams). Also, it's the big clubs that win their leagues respect. Not the average teams, or the parity of whatever. That's boring. People want the drama. The show. The big stars. The upsets when the little teams beat the big teams. ALL of this doesn't exist in the MLS. Let's get rid of the salary cap, put in place "don't spend beyond your means" rules in the league - and let's grow this league

==================================

So how long do we hold back bigger clubs while we wait for Columbus to grow? They were averaging 14k attendance the year they won the league. Then 14k the year after. No difference AT ALL. That's the potential in that market. Maybe a little bit higher, but not much. So my question is: how long do we wait for them to become financially competitive to where we can allow other teams to live up to their potential?

That's my point here. If we're waiting for the likes of Chivas and Columbus to grow, we'll be waiting a LONG time. Also, these markets are so weak that they can't handle a year or two of not winning. They have to win all the time to go anywhere. Columbus recorded their worst attendance numbers EVER in 2011 - 12k average. Meanwhile the league and bigger markets are held back in a very serious way. It's insanity! And it's anti-football.

Imagine a 100 meter race with 10 guys, 6 of which go under 10 sec, 2 go under 12, and 2 go at about 20 seconds. For the sake of parity we strap 100 pounds to the backs of the fastest guys - and the result is a race with 10 guys running 100 meters at 20 seconds. There's a new winner almost every race. No one of them MUCH better, and no one MUCH worse. See what I mean? That's the MLS. It's madness - and everyone outside of the league can see it. We choose not to get the BEST possible football on the pitch. That's what I mean by madness!

22. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    To be clear even though I'm a critic of the DP rule, I'm a firm believer in protecting parity ... How big Columbus's potential is in their specific market is not totally relevant because I think the cap will rise and fall relative to the league wide revenue which will be primarily tied to TV and national sponsors.

That's why I'm tolerant of the DP rule as it exists today because I feel it serves a purpose considering the realities of the league. My beef is more the fans who are hoping to expand this system going forward. I think the new CBA and new TV deals are a great opportunity to begin rolling back the DP system gradually to where 10-15 years from now there will be no DPs left at all. The league will be simply strong enough to get top players within their cap ...

25. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, why do you guys always throw this shit on us?

Bubba1971 repped this.