Waffles!

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by el_cuscatleco, Jul 21, 2010.

1. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Right so i was doing some shopping yesterday and out of nowhere i got the urge to buy some waffles (very much an impulse purchase :rolleyes:). Now i can't recall ever having them before so i don't really know what they go down best with. The pack says they are good with either jam, fruit, honey or syrup but i just wanted to get the opinions of some experienced waffle eaters as to what you think is best (for breakfast).

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually butter and syrup, for brekky, but for a snack, peanut butter and grape jelly can be great between two Eggo waffles.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Melted chocolate and ice cream is best. But if you're having them for breakfast I'd recommend fruit and maple syrup.

Now I want waffles dammit.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The topping is down to personal preference, but the most important thing is to make the waffles from scratch. Makes a huge difference in taste/quality and its fairly easy to do (after you buy a waffle maker). Just takes about 20 minutes or work and a large bowl to make a dozen or so at a time.

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    packaged waffles are a crime against food.

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca

Is maple syrup expensive in Australia? Do you have maple trees?

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frozen waffles are a completely different animal from regular waffles.

I like frozen waffles toasted (very toasted) with just a bit of butter. Regular waffles I usually eat with butter and syrup. But some sort of fruit jam or jelly would also be good.

8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in Australia ( and Saud Efreeka ) imitation maple syrup is marketed as maple syrup.

oh, the horror!

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Yes, and no. I buy imported from Canada. It's a little extravagance of mine.

Not as far as I'm aware. Imitation brands call it 'pancake syrup' or 'maple flavoured syrup'.

Pretty sure that sort of false advertising would have Consumer Affairs on your back.

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes, that must be expensive. Maple syrup is really expensive even here in the US.

Lucky for me, I only make pancakes at home a few times a year.

11. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wikipedia says so, but there's no citation, so it's probably anti-Oz propaganda.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm the same, thankfully don't use it too much. But I got addicted to the real stuff when I taught skiing in Canada. It's an illness, don't judge me. :(

Honestly, I doubt many Australians would know the difference between maple syrup and 'maple flavoured syrup'. But the real stuff has the Canadian 'certified pure' stamp on the back, so if you know what you're after it's easy to tell.

13. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Yeah, it's not cheap here in California. But not too bad, I think it's about $10 for a 250 ml bottle.

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the mix we use:

[​IMG]

We make these once or twice a month -- whenever my four year old requests "awfuls" for breakfast. They're very good. Of course, this mix is probably not available in much of the US, much less outside the US, and you have to have a waffle maker, but once you make the investment, these beat the hell out of Eggos.

15. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some folks like to combine chicken and waffles. I like it, too, but since I don't like bones, I'll stack buttered Eggo waffles, alternating with breaded chicken patties, and cover the stack in imitation maple syrup (Mrs. Butterworths or the like.)

16. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roscoe's has a store in Long Beach. Roscoe's was named in the top 5 for chowdown places on the Travel Channel or Food Network. They perfected chicken and waffles.

17. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We usually eat waffles only with powdered sugar and save maple sirup (Thank god I have a host family in MA sending me regular supplies, almost impossible to get here and if you do, horribly expensive) for pancakes.
    Speaking of which, traditionally Germans eat pancakes with sugar, cinamon and apple sauce. It's awesome, try it!

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Pretty much anything tastes good with apples and cinnamon.

But chicken and waffles? That's ghastly! Heck chicken and anything for breakfast is gross.

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know nothing! :)

lotsa folks eat hot meats for breakfast. even steak. how is fried chicken, hot, crisp, juicy, worse than sausages or ham steak?

waffles is just your basic starch. it's short term engernie food. your protein lasts till your mid-day meal. that's why you needs your chicken or other meat.

a cheese omelette is a good substitute, but it's just a substitute. it's a bench sitter compared to chicken and waffles.

20. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    So just as an update, i went with the trusty banana and honey combo. Had two waffles (toasted), which was pretty filling so today i just went with one, cut it in half and tried something different (strawberry jam on one and marmalade on the other).

The feedback has me wanting to try them with maple syrup though, so might go out and buy some today to see what all the hype is about. :D

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are different grades of maple syrup.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many Americans know the difference, either.

23. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that's available at IHOP.

24. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the mid-80s, i used to have breakfast at The Potholder Cafe in Long Beach almost every morning, two pancakes with a side of applesauce. i'm not a big fan of cinnamon, except cinnamon buns. their pancakes were the bomb.

25. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about this but I think that chicken and waffles is more of a lunch or supper thing than a breakfast thing.