Wade Barrett Interview (soccer365)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Stupid_American, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    beat me to it...I want to know what that song says

3. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    USMNT: Where is Barrett on the depth chart for LB ?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    by caps?
    Hejduk (tho most are at RB)
    Vanney
    Bocanegra
    Gibbs (sometimes CD)
    Convey (has more LB caps)
    Lewis (I think he has more LB caps)
    BARRETT

also, Berhalter and Califf, who are primarily CD's have more caps at LB.

by Sam's Army ratings for devenders?
    He's second to Pope (for what it's worth.)

In Bruce's mind? I'd have to think relatively low until he makes a bigger impact in Denmark.

5. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    One has to think that Barrett might have a better chance to be in the picture of NT right now had he stayed in MLS -

6. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know this was a really interesting article.

barrett claims he simply wanted to try something new...i can certainly understand...having just moved to nashville for the same reason.

as it turns out though...patience may've been the better virtue. good left-footies being as tough to find as they are...a good summer starting in the gold cup and confed cup may've been enough to land him in a bigger club. i guess we'll never know.

7. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On his future with the U.S. National Team…
    "I don't have a position with the National Team right now. I knew that coming here would take me off the "radar" "

This quote at the end of the interview is the most interesting to me. It's strange that he would risk a shot at the Nats, which as cyberthoth pointed out could have landed him a more lucrative deal with a bigger club, just to "try something new".

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm not sure that National Team play, especially over here, is as important as we sometimes think. Obviously, a good showing in internationals can help guys make club moves (Hejduk and Berhalter both got Germany shots as the result of WC run-ups and play.) But once you're floating around the pro leagues, there are a lot of ways to get noticed. If he were kicking butt on a top Danish side, or even kicking butt on a mediocre Danish side, he'd get looks from Germany, Holland and England a lot quicker than he would playing Costa Rica in Miami.

But in whatever case, you've got to be playing very well, or at least have people saying you are.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Very sensible.

10. Wowbagger

Wowbagger New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Denmark
    Don't worry, he will come back, get a good deal from a top german club, and gain his place on the nt... Hopefully... :) Though I want him to stay in Denmark as long as possible. It's been some time since I've seen him play, though, but then again, they only transmit 2 games live every weekend, and I rarely watch games that I know the result off.
    About the exposure you get from playing on a NT: For a non-euro/south america player, the WC finals are more or less the only way to get noticed in the general public over here. Euro players have a natural advantage there, with the European Championship coming up next year, while there's still nearly 3 years 'till next WC. Also, the UEFA qualification matches (for both WC and EC) get more attention (obviously) than the CONCACAF ditto. Too bad AGF isn't playing in the UEFA Cup - that would give some exposure, though the best place to get noticed of all (WC included) is the Champions League. But only one danish team get to play for a CL place every year, and they usually lose the last qualification game.

11. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Yes, and with so many Danes playing in leagues in Europe, scouts must regularly attend league matches to look at talent and evaluate skills.

If only one or two scouts appear at a game, that certainly exceeds the number that would have appeared in San Jose.

And so while it does not appear that Barrett made the move for that reason, it seems as if he would receive more exposure to European clubs playing for AGF than he would have playing for the 'Quakes.

After all, a lot of American players sit by the phone waiting for a call up to the National team; only a few can be chosen. When all is said and done, you have to have a life.

12. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Yes, we're getting to the point where there will be more and more "good" players who aren't getting a sniff with the national team. Don't know what will happen with Wade Barrett, but overall this is a good thing.

My favorite quote from this article:

"I'm a better professional now than I was 9 months ago, and my experiences here have already made me a more complete player."

Well done Arkady.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like his attitude. Sounds like he's having fun. Good for him.
    Staying in MLS and waiting for a better opportunity to showcase his skills may have been the smarter thing to do, career-wise, but Barrett seems to have other priorities. I doubt he will ever regret this move.