W-League ranked #2 in world

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by NORML, Jan 5, 2005.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/89692.html

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

Some of the "Top" listings by that Women's Football World Dot Com are a little loopy.

Putting Charlton AC above the Arsenal team that dominated the Ladies Premier League last year (and who is only 3 points behind them in the table this year, with 3 games in hand???)

Putting Daniela in the top 20 players ahead of some other of the Brazilians who have out-played her in the past year???

Well, at least they do not have Heinrichs listed among the top coaches! :D (and they have a bunch of useful links to other women's football related sites)

3. larz

larz New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    It's an interesting concept to rate quality of leagues worldwide but what is the criteria? Seems subjective. Who is judging how well organized the league is, the commitment of the players, the ability of the players to work full time jobs and play pro or amateur league. It's a bit of a stretch to stagger the list of leagues as one would be be better than another. All the players, coaches, team benefactors and officials put forth the same effort so I don't see such a ranking as accurate.

Sounds like BS marketing propaganda.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team Rankings

I wonder how much the ranking will change, what with New Jersey first losing Pichon, and now Kelly Smith has re-signed with Arsenal.

5. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Re: Team Rankings

You never know who the Wildcats might sign or get to come play. After Euro's most of their seasons are over.

They should have Heather O'Reilly (Not much of a loss if Pichon does not come back) and Naimo is very highly regarded as a coach

6. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team & Player Rankings this week

This week they have 5 Euro teams listed first, then 6 W-League teams, followed by Arsenal (now 7 spots ahead of Charlton - wonder if the signing of Smith is responsible for that?)

And I'm not sure that any keeper should be ranked ahead of Bri, much less one from a country not listed in the top 20!

7. Tom Swift

Tom Swift New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I know the L-League is still struggling, but I think FC Nippon Beleza should appear somewhere in the top 20 rankings. They have almost a dozen players from Japan's national team.

http://www.l-league.jp/teams/l1_belaze.php

TS