W-League and WPSL 2012

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by StarCityFan, Dec 21, 2011.

1. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    How do the playoffs work in the W-league and WPSL? I can't find anything about either on their respective websites.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the W-League you have to look at the back of the USL media guide (which is available on the website if you look for it). As I recall, it's as follows:

Eastern Conference: The top team from each division qualifies, plus the #2 team from the division with the best #1 team. Playoffs hosted by the #1 team are a four-team single-elimination tournament.

Central Conference: A crazy number of teams qualify here. I think it's like the #4 team plays the #5 team midweek, then the top 4 play an elimination tournament. This is even crazier because the only good team in the conference, Ottawa, is already seeded into the Final Four as the host. And there are only seven teams altogether.

Western Conference: #2 plays at #1 for the right to represent the conference in the Final Four.

Final Four: Hosted at Ottawa, as previously mentioned, with one representative from each conference plus Ottawa as the host. Semifinals are Friday, July 27; Final and consolation game (if there is one, not sure) July 29.

WPSL: All I know about is the 16-team Northeast Atlantic Conference, and I only know that because the coach of our local team explained it to me. The conference has three divisions. The top two teams from each division qualify, plus the two best wild cards. Then there's a three-round elimination tournament for the right to decide who represents the conference in the Final Four. That'll take place over a couple of weeks in mid-July with the Final Four tournament taking place in Orlando the same weekend as the W-League Final Four.

3. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks StarCityFan....very helpful.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the information I posted above about the Northeast Atlantic Conference is incorrect. Here's the latest info that the Maryland Capitols coach emailed to me:

I still have absolutely no idea how the other three teams in the WPSL Final Four are selected.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Media Guide and the USL playoffs are listed. Go to the USL home page; the top-right-corner-box cycles between various sponsors, expansion opportunities, the Media Guide, and now, the W-League Playoff Center ( http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/playoffcenter/ ). The Center just has one link (at the moment) on the top-right, for the playoff format ( http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/playoffcenter/640094.html ). [the front-page box will add PDL and USL-Pro playoff centers, eventually.]

For the WPSL (basic) league, this article is now on the front page:
    7/12/12
    THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE WPSL SOCCER PLAYOFFS
    http://www.wpsl.info/news/index.php?cat=1&id=1599

I did have a beef with the Midwest getting zero teams in the playdowns (according to the "ultimate guide"):
    MIDWEST (0)
    1. FC Milwaukee Nationals (5-0-0, 15)
    FC Milwaukee was perfect in the Midwest, and finished ahead of Ohio Galaxies (3-0-2), which wasn't on the Nationals' schedule. The Midwest champ is not going to the playoffs.

For WPSL-Elite, this was on the WPSL press release page ( http://www.wpsl.info/press/ ):
    WPSL Elite League Confirms Dates and Times for Championship Series
    WPSL Elite and Sahlen's Stadium Will Provide Live Feed and Updates for USWNT Olympic Match on Saturday, July 28 Thanks to Western New York Flash
    Jul 07, 2012
    http://www.prlog.org/11918335-wpsl-...osted&bc=ffffff&tc=000000&lc=2050d0&mc=606060

The article apologizes for having the Championship game played the same time as a USWNT match at the Olympics.

Womens League Soccer ( http://www.womensleaguesoccer.com/ ), as far as I know, has no playoffs, and the regular season champion is it.

8. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were Milwaukee FC just unable to afford the travel or is the Midwest an "associate member" (i.e. a self-contained league-within-a-league not playing for the national title) situation?

If the latter, why don't they join WLS?

9. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPSL CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND SET FOR PENSACOLA, FLA

Lot of teams not bothering to compete in the playoffs, either partially or fully, even though they have good enough records to qualify: Milwaukee, New York Athletic Club, Spokane, Tampa Bay Hellenic, Florida Sol FC, FC Dallas.

11. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange stuff going on in the Midwest region. FC Dallas claims WPSL said at the general meetings to advance to the playoffs in the region you had to win your division - which they did. When Milwaukee pulled out (allegedly for financial reasons) WPSL changed the format to a 3-team Big Sky South tournament.

Once again - this is what FC Dallas says via their twitter account.

FC Dallas refused (their word) to play Oklahoma FC (who beat American Eagles Thursday in the first round) so WPSL awarded the slot in the national semifinal to Oklahoma FC.

To me it sounds like a big misunderstanding. All of the other regions have multi-tier playoffs...

Even if you truly believe in your principles, it sure is a shame FC Dallas deprived their fans of a home regional final game this weekend and their team a shot to play in the WPSL playoffs.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAMDEN– CFC Passion are proud to announce Joe Finocchiaro as their next head coach for the 2013 WPSL season.Finocchiaro is currently the head coach of the Glastonbury High School girl’s soccer team which earned NSCAA 7th in the nation in 2012. “Joe comes to us with a great resume and lots of success in recent years at Glastonbury High School,” General Manager Robin Schuppert said. “I sensed a lot of passion and dedication for the game when we spoke to him and I think our players can only benefit from this. We’re both new to the Passion, so I look forward to helping each other out and having a successful season together.”Since 2008, Finocchiaro has led his Glastonbury High girls to five CCCN Conference Championships, three Class LL Final appearances and one Class LL Title. Since 2010 he’s coached for CFC and has led his girls team to one State Cup finals appearance and three CJSA Division 1 Championships. As a player, Finocchiaro played in the NJSCCA semi finals with Ulster County Community College and later on played in Division 1 for the University of North Carolina Wilmington. He also played for the Wilmington North Carolina Hammer Heads in the USL. “I’m thrilled to be named the head coach of the CFC Passion.” Finocchiaro said. “I’m excited to compete in the WPSL and I am looking forward to getting started.”Finocchiaro holds a United States Soccer Federation A license. Joe Finocchiaro’s resume
    Glastonbury High School
    -Head varsity coach girl’s soccer 2008-present-5 CCCN Conference championships-3 Class LL Final appearances-1 Class LL Title-NSCAA 7th in the Nation 2012-Assistant varsity coach boy’s soccer 2007-Class LL Final Appearance For more details about CFC Passion please visit our website (www.cfcazul.com), “Like” us on Facebook (facebook.com/cfcpassion), follow us on Twitter CFCPASSION or e-mail us at info@cfcazul.com .

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States