VW Jetta question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by CG, Jul 6, 2005.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I have a 2001 VW Jetta. About a week ago the check engine light came on and then a readout on the dash that says "Emissions test!". In the past few days the car seems to have lost some pickup. Can anybody tell me what might be the problem? Also, would you recommend taking it to the dealer or just a regular mechanic?

2. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    i've had the check engine light come on in 2 different cars and each time it was just some kind of sensor that needed to be replaced. it wasn't super expensive.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    could be a sensor somewhere in the exhaust system.

if its malfunctioning, it could be reducing the engines output.

4. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the top of my head, sounds like your catalytic converter. But honestly it could be anything, take it in to your dealer ASAP.

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Before taking it the dealer make sure your gas cap in in good repair and on tightly.

Bad gas caps and charging people for services they don't need are a mechanics dream.

Gas caps effect the emissions system.

You could always do what I did when I was back in college and on a tight budget. That is put a pic of the girlfriend in front of the check engine light, turn up the volume on the stereo, and ignore any strange noises that might be coming from the engine.:p

Seriously, I hope it turns out to be inexpensive quick fix for you. :)

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I called the VW dealer to ask them what it might be and the first thing he said was to tighten my gas cap. He said it would take a few driving cycles to see if the Emissionsn test light went away. Glad to see all mechanics aren't cheats.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    If you're thinking of doing anything on your own, find a error code reader that you like. YOU can nab one for yourself for the price of taking it once into the shop for a diagnostic. This lets you read the error code yourself, reset it, etc. It shoudl help with the trouble shooting. I don't know about VW's (crazy german engineering) but sensors usually aren't too spendy so they'd be a good place to start in playing parts roullette.

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    theyll pull a code for free at places like autozone.

(edit: pull a code; figure out what the error code is.)

that way you dont need to spend the $50-$150 (cant remember just how much it is) on an OBD/OBDII reader.

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    True. But I think that's being too scroogish. Surely the trime going to / from is worth something. More so, if you're trying to figure out what is wrong with your car, you probably shouldn't be driving it.