VSI Tampa General thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by time4wine, Nov 15, 2011.

1. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Um, This means WAR?

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows what this means. It's all very depressing.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    2 teams fishing in the same pro soccer pool -> more money to the sinkhole :mad:

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much yeah. FCTB is only going in to year three and while I am the first person to criticize I can't see this move by USLpro as anything other than an attack on the NASL. If they can slow down FCTB's growth until the owners give up, or even better kill it right away, then USLpro probably stands a good chance of killing the NASL along with it.

the only thing that could make tomorrow's press conference any more ridiculous is if they announce plans to pursue MLS.

I'm obviously just wishful thinking, but I'd certainly prefer that to having two rinky dink lower division teams fighting tooth and nail for measly scraps of attendance.

Maybe this USLpro team will have alot of money behind it, which looks very possible judging by the folks attached, and do things right.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ... but sooner or later they will discover that road games in Antigua and LA are just a waste of money

7. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Yep, this seems like war. Wonder if they'll try to get the Rowdies name and really turn things up. Wonder if USL has any other plans to attack other markets. SAn Antonio perhaps?

8. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    San Antonio has already been in the cards for a while. The group that runs the SA Spurs is looking to put a USL-Pro team in Alamo Stadium. Maybe with the NBA about to implode, they might turn their attention more to the soccer team.

The next question is whether we will see another USL South Florida rumor pop up like late last year. I could see the USL looking to put teams in Miami, or as crazy as it sounds, the Atlanta area.

A war being fought by two blind guys over a tiny sinking island.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    and the winner will receive the privilige to keep on losing money :D

10. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    There's also the possibility the Spurs group might go full blown MLS. Since the Scorpions will probably implode on their own. Interesting couple of weeks coming up in all divisions of US soccer.

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    This instability is doing a lot of harm to US soccer

12. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    No doubt. Seems like leadership in USSF would rather have chaos then stability. They don't seem to want to make decisions to benefit the growth of soccer in the us, no matter how they try to spin it.

1 person likes this.
  13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like USSF set any kind of standards for USL and you will see how Holt and Co. deal with that:D

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great more infighting keeping American soccer down. Will USL either fold or accept the fact it's 3rd string already...

15. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    The infighting is unfortunate, but will happen as long as the clowns atop the USSF continue to do whatever the hell they do. Oh I know what they do, help US soccer with the World Football Challenge. :rolleyes:

16. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Any way we could demand change and demand that the USSF to consider taking the USL sanctioning away temporarily until the USL stops this Vendetta and starts focusing on improving their own situation.

17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree count me in.

18. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they think this would improve the league's situation. It's not like they're putting a USL-Pro team there for this season.

Obviously they think there is an untapped market inside of Tampa. I don't know if FCTB really has any reason to worry, but it's an interesting move.

19. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    You have appoint but at the same time there are some many untapped markets that USL-Pro could go for.

If they plan on keeping LA Blues around they better look at SF, SD, Oakland, Sacramento, Reno, LV, Pheonix, and Tucson. So yea.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots of untapped markets, but those markets need owners.

It's easy to point out there are markets out there; it's a different thing to actually find an ownership group.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody answer this question for me why now? how come they didn't want a team when after Mutiny folded?

22. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    If I remember correctly FCTB was supposed to be USL before they defected to the NASL in the Traffic - USL feud.

Looks like justified payback to me.

23. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I"m the only one that looked up Vision Pro's web site to see what they are all about. Their bottom line goal is develop youth players into pro players. They're an academy. So really they aren't looking to develop a club and move up to the NASL or MLS. They are primairly looking to develop players. Previously alot of players that they have gotten are those that may been in English clubs and didn't make it for some reason.

So my take is that they are probably looking from a business side to cover most of their expenses of running the club. In addition, it sounds like they get funding from currnet pro players and even the PFA in Enland. So they are probably going to have a young roster with a mixture of internationals and some promising US players. So they are probably going not have a large payroll since their players are mostly looking at this as stepping stone to more better pro career.

MISSION STATEMENT

To develop a world recognised brand and product that is recognised internationally for identifying youngsters with football ability (the “Football Students”) and provide them with an opportunity to develop those skills in a first class football, academic and residential environment, with the ultimate commercial objective of securing the youngsters a playing career in the professional world of football.

STRATEGY

There are two specific commercial components to the VSI business being:

The VSI Football Business
    to develop, operate and manage wholly owned academies that identify and nurture young football talent (aged 16+) who have the aspiration and ability to potentially secure playing contracts with professional clubs. Each selected youngster will be granted a scholarship (Football Student) and be coached and educated by highly qualified coaches and tutors in a residential environment and at the cost of VSI. It is the intention, where possible, to sell or place VSI Football Students with professional clubs on the basis of retaining future commercial value in the player and in line with current legislation.

The VSI Asset Based Business
    the identification of enabling led development opportunities that allow VSI to develop its facilities in line with its commercial template. Unlike other academy businesses, the variable in the VSI model is the key requirement that demands each identified and developed facility must have multiple commercial revenue streams, thereby not relying on player sale fees as the core revenue source, a formula which clearly is not working. VSI will actively pursue and identify first class location opportunities that provide enabling developments whereby through planning gains the business will not own only the core sports based facilities but also all / some of the other commercial facilities identified and needed in that specific location. This in turn will drive the various commercial revenues that underpin that VSI business. In some cases this might involve acquiring and developing existing academy businesses but only after a full commercial feasibility study has been completed.

http://www.vispro.co/about-vsi/who-we-are/our-business

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well here they say something else:

Is Tampa Bay big enough to support two professional soccer franchises? That question will arise in 2013, when United Soccer Leagues is slated to bring a team to Hillsborough County.

"We certainly recognize that there's another professional soccer team that plays out of St. Pete," USL president Tim Holt said. "I would reiterate that this is a Hillsborough County soccer initiative. We think the support for a pro team within Hillsborough County and, to some extent, the neighboring counties — southern Pasco and Pinellas to some extent — is enough to make this sustainable.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/socc...gs-team-to-tampa-joining-fc-tampa-bay/1202111

and

USL News Release
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011
    TAMPA, Fla. – USL is pleased to announce that VisionPro Sports Institute (VSI) has chosen to establish an international youth soccer academy in Tampa. As part of the new project, VSI will also operate teams in the PDL, W-League and Super-20 League starting in 2012, with a USL PRO franchise scheduled to begin play in Tampa in 2013.

http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/home/579849.html

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's honest about this, he may be banking on the fact that most Hillsborough residents won't bother to go across the Howard Frankland.