Vote For Jamil's Goal

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    I guess the professional players around the world are uneducated about the game as well because there are dozens of quotes using these terms.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Show me two.

3. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Here are two, one from a player and one from the league. These are only the first two I found. There are plenty more.

see link:
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/pressbox/gamerecaps/gamerecapstext.asp?gameID=221

http://www.geocities.com/rwknouse/newsarchive1999.html
    League defends referee's call

"The Miami Fusion complained that D.C. United's second goal in Saturday's 2-0 Eastern Conference playoff win was offside. No way, said Esse Baharmast, the U.S. Soccer Federation's director of officials. He supervises Major Le ague Soccer officials. "I looked at the video, and he (Jaime Moreno) was a good 2 yards onsides when the ball was released," Baharmast said. Baharmast said the play could have looked offside because Moreno was ahead of a defender when he received the pass . "That's not how you judge offsides. It was a correct call," he said, defending the work of referee Tim Weyland. Baharmast said officials get a lot of flak because players and fans assume the official is wrong. "It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy." Bah a rmast was the only American referee in the 1998 World Cup. This has been a tough year for MLS referees, according to Baharmast, but he said the four playoff games so far have been well-called. "There have been mistakes but, all-in-all, they've been good m atches."

4. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    A geocities is not a reliable source of information and for the Fire page, it was an interviewer who probably misquoted the player. Onside is the term and onsides is what 3rd rate sports journalists would use".

I'll semi-accept that. Now find me a credible source (any soccer-news site) that uses offsides and i'll cut you some slack. It's also right about time for you to get back to losing-land and pray you still qualify for the playoffs.

5. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

LAW 11 - Offside

Offside Position

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

he is nearer to his opponents goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

he is in his own half of the field of play

he is level with the second last opponent

he is level with the last two opponents

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalized if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

interfering with play

interfering with an opponent

gaining an advantage by being in that position

No Offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

a goal kick

a throw-in

a corner kick

Infringements/Sanctions

For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the opposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IBT, you're an expert in minutiae. I remember such a discussion once before and you are right. Hats off to IBT, everyone!:) I wonder how many people knew that?

7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that the majority of the people here knew that. Were you being sarcastic Albany? :confused:

That's one of the things that people who are just learning the laws like to throw in peoples faces to make it look like they know everything.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who? Me? Sarcastic? I thought I was just trying to give IBT some props. I don't usually. ;)

9. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Or trying to give the DC illegal a hard time.

Well.. That and the fact that I cannot stand it when people say "offsides". Its just wrong.