Volume in TRE

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by unholyunion, Oct 16, 2011.

1. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense murph, but i must say that anyone who sits in the river end can't really comment on the noise level for the crowd, unless of course it goes deathly ill silent (very few times this year - resultant of 2 goals usually, or a goal that shouldn't have happened). Plenty of times this year people in TRE have said it was a lackluster performance for sound level, yet it was loud and above par from the perspective of the outer rims. This wasn't the worst crowd level this year - but i was too drunk to bring my sound meter to compare.

2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official: [2011 Matchday 33] Toronto FC @ Union - October 15, 2011 p/d/p [R]

Well I can't speak for everywhere in the stadium either, but from 137 I thought the River End was fairly quiet.... which was disappointing... my brother whos only been to a handful of other games commented on this as well ......

(that being said, the other games he attended were the Opener and Galaxy I think)

3. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official: [2011 Matchday 33] Toronto FC @ Union - October 15, 2011 p/d/p [R]

No offense "murph", but I DON'T sit in TRE. By your own admission, you were drunk and not in a position to pass judgement. Were you drunk when you posted this too?

4. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry, thought you were the blog owner. but from how it sounded it still wasn't the quietest game and was average for the year

5. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im going to blame the little bit of wind for this one. Whatever it was it was harder to hear what was bein strted in the middle of TRE thus making thwe outer sections like 135 134 not join in until after the chant was basically over.

6. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apology accepted. I have no relation to the blog owner. I don't disagree that it wasn't the quietest game of the year, but I expected better considering that the stadium was filled to capacity.

Possibly. Last home game of the year is going to attract a lot of casual fans, so maybe that had something to do with it too.

7. ronchito

ronchito Member

May 19, 2011
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I feel like the wind also played a part in the sound being a little less than normal. We got SRO tix and you could barely hear the TRE chants up there with the wind gusting. Halfway thru the 1st half we snuck down to grab some empty lower seats and you could hear them much better, though still a bit dampened by the wind. Even though the volume was less than normal, it sounded like the noise was just as spirited and intense as every other game I've been to.

8. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was quiet enough in TRE that at one point I clearly heard and saw the Bridge-side stands starting up a C'mon the U chant. Which I thought was (1) pretty cool, and (2) kind of embarrassing that TRE was that quiet at that moment.

I'm in 138 btw.

9. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah 127-128 fired it up. Also, may I reiterate that I HATE 4PM starts. Not sure if the original 12PM start would have been any better, but typically the weekend night games bring the most noise.

10. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the 4PM starts, for whatever reason, never seem to feel as electric as the 7pm or 8pm starts.

I also thought the wind played a big part. From where I'm at in 137 I had a hard time hearing the Capos and the other sections, as well, to keep us all inline. Very strange atmosphere, indeed.

11. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the last 2 or 3 night games at home have been flat as well....what's your excuse for that? I was embarrassed for our display vs DC. so quiet...

12. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have some theories, but I'm trying not to post in the chants thread anymore...

13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't need an excuse. In 2 seasons, I've missed only 2 matches. From my perch above the tunnel, I've sung and chanted for 90 minutes of each and every match, without fail. So, perhaps you should be pedaling your finger pointing elsewhere.

14. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He obviously wasn't talking about you personally.

15. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Granted... considering our rivals both contained a section... DC brought drums and actually sang... as opposed to new york..who...stood there.

Columbus also brought drums. They were fairly loud as well and in smaller numbers than DC.

Even still I was able to hear the river end. It wasn't so much loud, as in there was competition..but you still could hear them, it was only a little harder to understand.

16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I obviously knew what he meant, too. His tact, however, in saying people were creating "excuses" is what was at issue here. There are 1000's of reasons why the stadium may be flat, all of them legitimate.

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although this discussion is lame, I haven't noticed any reduction in the "audible reactions to the game" from outside the river end.

18. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't get your panties in a bunch. I dont know you, so in no way would i know your level of participation. From where i am in 139/140, from 138-140 have been for the most part in a state of hibernation. I can't speak on the sections on the other side of 137. Aside from that, there've been long stretches where nothing gets thrown up from the middle, and that stupid *DRUMDRUMDRUM* HEY! "song" is dumb as shit and gets no one involved.

MULTIPLE people have been in and out of our sections the last 2-3 months trying to lead the sections. I did it all last year and beginning of this year before getting fed up with being yelled back at and people giving me death glares. Travis and Andy are in all the time, and it works for about 10 minutes before no one cares anymore or someone gives one of them shit/gets in their face

I've done everything i can as an individual, and so have others. The elders/official leadership need to come up with some strategies to actually get people to want to be part of this group, and not just have the river end be a bargain weekend getaway destination for kids to get drunk and yell shit

19. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm actually more interested in how the team performs than how the fans do......Lets face it, people are there to watch a match not be the performers.....although I do like a good atmosphere at the games... its best in spurts and when it comes from the action on the pitch and not forced and droning on all game long.....from section 114 the atmosphere was fine for me.

20. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was wondering if anyone would bring this up.

I kind of agree. I mean, ideally you want to be making noise the whole game. But I'm not a fan of making any kind of noise just for the sake of doing something.

21. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

as a sidenote since this has somehow become an issue: i've never sacrificed watching a match for the sake of singing/getting others around me singing. I'm just saying, that's what this group is for. It's the main facet of why the sons of ben exist; to support the team in this way. I get if people don't want to do it, just...go and don't do it in some other section!

22. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand what that section is for and I appreciate that sections hard work...... and I agree, if your not gonna participate in what that section is for then get out!! On a side note, some constructive criticism: 1. Get rid of the drum ( sounds amatuerish ) 2. More variety 3. Nothing is better than a song or chant when the moment calls for it..........if your just bleeeting away all game you miss those moments ;)

23. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Suprisingly enoug, scientists have found you can sing, yell, and even jump up and down WITH YOUR EYES OPEN! It's a remarkable thing really, i never knew it could be done. Thank you science

24. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have noticed that the last few games 138 has been really quiet. Most of the section is not singing. I do not know why this is but it is. As for other sections I can not comment. That is not to say that everyone is not singing but at times it seems like 90% are not taking part.

25. AnMaistin

AnMaistin Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I wasn't at my loudest on Sat and I apologize for that. Not sure why I wasn't on top of my game, but I did try to break that funk a few times.

Also I know for a fact that TRE was not good in volume at the last game. My usually sits with me in TRE, but ended up sitting on the Seaport Drive End with his high school team on Sat. He texted me at half time asking why we were so quiet.