Volley

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Sep 20, 2002.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Okay my dribbling skills are coming along and now I think it is time that I really start to practice my volley. Last practice we did some volleying and I really sucked at it so I really need to practice it. So, how do you guys practice your volleying by yourself?
    Or with one partner?

2. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Use a wall or juggle is my best advice since this is basiclly wahta volley consists of practice locking you ankle as well.

Once you get good you can very you volleyed shots and make tehm bend and dip as well as being a line drive shot you can get nasty outside of the foot spin with a volley with practice

3. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Hey how old are u hambone? Anyway, I just juggle, then put a ball about 2 feet higher than the other ones, pull back my leg, and kill it.... It should make u feel comfy wit it, and it's fun

4. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I am 15, why do you ask, I guess that is how i shall have to practise, but I was also trying to talk about side volleys.

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    just wondering, cause you said before yu could juggle to over 1000 and that's a lot.

6. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh I see, thanks.

7. zozojar

zozojar New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    Charlotte
    Side and front volleys use the same basic motion.

There's a way to juggle to mimick this motion. You want to juggle the ball straight up and down, well above your head. Point your toe and lock your knee at about a 30 degree bend. Strike the ball at waist high with one leg motion (i.e. no independent knee or ankle motion... don't "snap" your knee at the ball). Use your laces and try to move the ball straight up and down with no spin (you shouldn't be chasing the ball around and you shouldn't be counting touches). It will feel a little wierd at first, so I often tell kids to let the ball bounce between juggles into you are comfy with it.

Remember volleys are all about getting a solid touch on the ball. Once you've gotten good with the basic motion, you can loosen your knee and ankle a bit and get a bit more velocity on it.

8. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I don't know how advanced your skills are, but I started by simply having someone toss me a ball from about five feet away. Just tap the ball back to their hands at about waist level. First use the side of each foot, then the laces of each foot. Later, to practice shooting, go to a baseball backstop and have them toss the ball from a side angle. For this it helps if you have at least two or three and an training partner who can throw you decent services. When all the balls are used up, RUN to collect them. What I always stress is "Game situation, game situation..." When you're winded from running after balls and then have to make a difficult volley, its a better simulation of what you'll be doing in a game.