Vitoria SC x Sporting CP | Liga NOS 2017/2018 | 3a Jornada

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by OndaVerde, Aug 16, 2017.

1. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    [​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG]

Date: Saturday August 19
    Time: 6:15 p.m. Local Time | 1:15 p.m. ET | 10:15 a.m. PT
    Television: Sport TV 1
    Acestream: ArenaVision 17
    Web Stream: TBD

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Guimaraes won their first game 3-2 at home and lost 3-0 at Estoril last game - they obviously have issues at the back... so expect a world-class performance from their GK and defense to shut us out :ROFLMAO:.

What I'm hoping for:

Patricio; Ristovski, Coates, Mathieu, Coentrao; William (while he's here let's play him), Bruno Fernandes, Gelson, Acuna, Dost, Doumbia

What I'm expecting:

Patricio; Piccini, Coates, Mathieu, Coentrao; Battaglia, Adrien, Gelson, Acuna; Podence, Dost

heavy1981 and vilafria repped this.
  3. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol you're hopeful lineup is what I'm looking for too, and probably many others. Rodrigo and Adrien at the same time is redundant IMO. I want Bruno to start in the mid field. The attack needs it. William is the best pairing but if not I'd go with Battaglia. Adrien has been horrendous. Up front I'd make the switch with Doumbia for Podence as well, Doumbia provides some presence and aggressiveness that Podence hasn't. Podence has been great in the opening parts of games then disappears. Might be used best as an impact sub. I also don't think his type of player is necessary up front with Bruno and Gelson.

And then Ristovski for Piccini is no brainer, unless Ristovski isn't ready... which is be surprised if he wasn't still. I'm beginning to question whether Piccini is even a better option than Schelotto

4. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    #4 nelly29, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Ristovski MUST go in....he is physically ready as he was playing in important games for his team last weekish....I don't care if he can't communicate with anyone on the team....Give him a smart phone with google translate and get him on the pitch :D
    Piccini is a goal against waiting to happen

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Battaglia is a destroyer, William is a much better passer and playmaker - they're just two different types of midfielders. If JJ wants to use Battaglia as a DM he'll need to train and teach him a lot, because right now he fits in as a box-to-box naturally. In which case he needs a more creative player ahead of him (not Adrien).

natenate101 repped this.
  6. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

My ideal pairing is William + Bruno for that exact reason. The offensive creativity/playmaking would be welcome. It'd be like having two release valves in the midfield to spring an attack after recovering the ball. Where you would lack a bit is the relentless attack to get the ball back I guess. Which is why I think my secondary preference would be Rodrigo/Adrien + Bruno Fernandes with a lean towards Rodrigo because Adrien is below form right now. Rodrigo + Adrien is my absolute last preference.

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Saturday game needs to be a lucky game day .

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    One thing's for sure, we have a lot of options in midfield at the moment and it's a good headache for a coach to have. We had a similar problem when we had William / Adrien / Joao Mario and it was JM who ended up playing as a "false winger"

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Just looking at the head-to-head stats; this fixture has been bad news for us in recent times, another reason why I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar midfield of Battaglia - Adrien to be defensively strong.

Last year we drew 3-3 on Matchday 7 in that infamous collapse when we were 3-0 up - this pretty much started our downfall last season.

Before that in JJ's first season, we drew 0-0 at Guimaraes, which was the start of our title loss since a win would've had us at 4 points ahead of Benfica before that home loss (1-0) against our rivals.

Season before that (Marco Silva) we lost 3-0 - our last win there in the league was a 1-0 with Leonardo Jardim, and that was Slimani in the 89th minute.

vilafria repped this.
  10. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That infamous 3rd and tying goal were Soares pushed our defender from behind with two hands on that free kick to head the ball in, all while Artur Soares Dias(was looking right at him).

I remember like it was yesterday.

vilafria repped this.
  11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    SCP confirm that William is injured and out of the match tomorrow. In which case, my hopeful line-up changes:

Patricio; Ristovski, Coates, Mathieu, Coentrao; Battaglia, Bruno Fernandes, Gelson, Acuna, Dost, Doumbia

12. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Petrovic is in the squad list this week. My 'expected' lineup now includes him lol

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ristovski not called

14. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Oh man I didn't even notice Ristovski not on there :/ Rough stretch here for Piccini with no real backup. Unless we get some Bruno Cesar RB action

15. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Ugggggg more Piccini this week

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Pre-match press conference

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Starting XI:

Rui Patrício; Piccini, Coates, Mathieu, Coentrão; Battaglia, Adrien, Gelson, Acuña; Bruno Fernandes, Bas Dost

Here we go again...

18. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, no real changes seems odd. Would think Bruno Cesar would get some minutes, or Jonathan Silva.

19. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    At least he's being consistent this year. I guess.. ..

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    OH MY WORD WHAT A GOAL BY BRUNO FERNANDES

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Bruno almost made it 2-0 with another amazing first time shot