Visting Seattle / Sounders Game Info Thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, May 4, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can try Fado. It looks like Fuel is showing the Mariners game, but they might have something up as well.. American Outlaws are going to be at Atlantic Crossing.

2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok thanks. will try to find out where these places are in downtown. catching bus 522 from Kenmore.
    goodluck sounders today!!! hope they beat the goats

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlantic Crossing is actually up in the University district, so not downtown. Fuel and Fado are in Pioneer square, which is just south of downtown and north of Century Link.

4. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks yoshou. you are always of great help whenever I visit seattle.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm going to be in your fair city in October. Never been before, probably never again. Any recommendations?

6. SoccerDad206

SoccerDad206 New Member

Apr 8, 2013
    San Salvador, El Salvador
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather gets pretty bipolar this time of the year so make sure you carry a small umbrella with you because one minute it's sunny next thing u know its raining. Check out a Sounders or Seahawks game the stadium is electric nothing like it.

7. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Eat at the Palace Kitchen, not at the Space Needle. (The view from the top of the Columbia Center is better anyhow and it's only $5 to go up, if seeing the lay of the land is your thing. M-F business hours only, though.)

Take a ferry to bainbridge island (as a foot passenger you only pay westbound), walk into town and have lunch (Marche is good) and come back. Much better way to see the sound than those stupid Argosy cruises.

Do not ride the ducks.

Avoid the pioneer square area after dark (though it's quite safe several hours before and immediately after games, lingering more than an hour past the final whistle is a bad idea.) Avoid the area around 3rd & Pine at all times.

Go to a game, or not. It's fall, if you're going to melt in the rain, sit in the club seats or the upper deck on the west side (prevailing winds being what they are, the roof provides better coverage there.) Delicatus is a pretty good, mostly under the radar place to fuel up before a match (sandwich shop with a bar in back.)

JasonMa and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 10 years removed from the Puget Sound area, but has it really become that bad? It wasn't great when I used to catch the bus up Queen Anne there in the mid-90s but I felt safe enough doing it even late at night. I know with the shift of the shopping area out of Westlake that whole area has gone downhill but I didn't realize it was that bad.

9. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't know, I think it looks worse than what it is. There's just a lot of homeless, panhandlers, and some drug dealing right around there. Ok, maybe it is kind of bad, but most of your more violent crime is still in the central district and south Seattle.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #85 terrier, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Westlake's actually fine - going upscale even - but on the block in each direction from the intersection of 3rd and Pine, it's pretty much all people looking to score.

I don't want to make it seem dangerous - it's okay to walk through that intersection as long as you're aware of your surroundings (not staring at your smartphone) - but you will surely see deals go down or going wrong (there's always someone yelling at someone else, often across the street, etc) or smell something stronger than pot being smoked. I just avoid it.

Edit: What Seaball says is right, it's not generally a violent area.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh yeah, if you don't have time to take the ferry, then take the water taxi to west seattle and eat at Marination Ma Kai at the dock on the other side. That place is seriously tasty (spicy pork tacos, aloha sliders...) and has a great view of the city.

12. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many thanks for this thread. I'm coming up to see the game this Sunday; first time seeing a game in Seattle (or anywhere else in MLS besides LA for that matter). This thread is extremely helpful for first time visitors!

MoosefesteR and phoenixhazard repped this.
  13. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you coming up with a contingent of people? doesn't seem like many Galaxy supporters will be there Sunday, I will be though and another guy from the forum.

14. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No contingent. Just me and my girlfriend. We'll probably keep a low profile.. :) How about you, you gonna be wearing your Galaxy colors and mix it up with the home supporters?

15. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, always do when LA comes to town. sitting in the away section? myself and friends will be there.

btw, if u've never been to seattle go to elysian and get their great pumpkin or night owl pumpkin beer, without a doubt some of the best in the world. in fact beeradvocate.com rated it the best pumpkin beer in the world at one point

16. MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Seattle
    If you plan on going to Elysian before a game, you better reserve a table...

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't know you could even do that
    i honestly perfer elysian brewery on cap hill, less crowded. not a pregame thing tho

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they opening the upper deck for the playoff game??? I looked on ticketmaster and it didn't look like it.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful on such short notice. Maybe if they make Conference Finals or if host MLS cup.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  20. 75grand

75grand New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Coming to the game tomorrow night. First time seeing a game in Seattle. Any good restaurants to visit that serves vegan food?

21. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1/2 of them, it's seattle... :p

in all seriousness, if you're willing to venture away from the stadium Wedgewood II on cap hill is brilliant thai food. it's a favorite of all my vegan friends. and if there is any food seattle knows it's probably asian or seafood (and u dont eat this)

22. wscottl

wscottl Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SE PA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any updates for a first time visitor? We are flying in Thurs to do the tourist thing before the the Union match. Not expecting much from the match, hope the sights make the trip worthwhile.

23. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Everything I posted last year is still valid, I think.

Also, go to the Pike Place Market first thing in the morning, preferably on a weekday (even when I lived in Seattle I went there all the time for a "walking breakfast." It's not just a tourist trap.) It's much more pleasant before it gets crowded. The Crumpet Shop is particularly good for breakfast - 1 eggs, peppers, english cheese and 1 maple butter is my standard order. Best tea in town.

24. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been meaning to go to the crumpet shop for quite a while now, sounds good

25. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be visiting Seattle next week. Any official USA-Belgium viewing parties in downtown?