Visiting Sao Paulo and surroundings

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by arthur d, May 19, 2011.

1. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I'm going to Ribeirao Preto in Brasil for work again and have about 2-3 days spare for sightseeing. Last time I rented a car and spent 5 days in Rio and Paraty (*), which was very impressive, but this time I am more stretched for time and would like to stay around Sao Paulo. Does anyone have any recommendations what to see in Sao Paulo or within a few hours drive from it? I'll be travelling in January 2012.

(*) Paraty was particularly nice, and I can strongly recommend this pousada:
    http://www.pousadamagiaverde.com.br/index.html

2. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's hot all the time in Ribeirão Preto, I can tell because my family is from there ;)
    Well, Ribeirão Preto is more like a "non-metropolitan" city you know, it's good to live but not so good when it comes to night fun and stuff like that...
    I recommend you to visit Campos do Jordão city (it's a beautiful and reminds me of Switzerland, no joke) and the city of São Paulo is always a good option (You'll find restaurants from all countries, the São Paulo's night is one of the best in South America, you can visit clubs, malls (Bourbon Shopping Mall is the biggest Mall in Latin America), you can have a lunch in one of the many "Churrascarias" we have (There's nothing like the brazilian barbecue), etc...

3. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Muito obrigado!

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Really depends on what kinds of things you enjoy seeing. City of Sao Paulo has a little of everything. The good thing about Sao Paulo in January is that a lot of people are on vacation and traffic in the city is "bearable".

5. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    I'll be working quite hard for about a week, so a nice relaxing beach wouldn't do any harm (I can rent a car and drive somewhere as well if it's not too far). Apart from that, I like a lot of different things... food, art, nature, architecture, football obviously...

6. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well this won't be your first time around here, but let me warn you if you plan on visiting the capital:

Be prepared to meet the 'ocean of cars!' :eek: Seriously, traffic is crazy around here.

Advice: use your feet and the subway as much as possible, and avoid using your car between 7:00~9:00 and 17:00~20:00, those are the worst hours to be on your car, by personal experience from a guy born and raised here.

7. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Visit the Football Museum in the Pacaembu Stadium.

8. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Thanks! The football museum sounds good.

Any advice on nice beaches? I heard good things about the area around Ilhabela. What is Sao Sebastiao like? Some sources say that the water is quite polluted around there.

9. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ubatuba, Ilha Bela, Barra do Una, Maresias... I recommend you to avoid Praia Grande, Santos and Guarujá. Ilha bela is beautiful, about São Sebastião, dunno. I don't remember the last time I was there, guess everything is different nowadays.
    Some pics os Maresias, Ilha Bela and Ubatuba:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hear Maresias is very nice nowadays. Very popular destination for people from Sao Paulo. If you go to the beach definitely go to the north part of the state.

In Ribeirao Preto you need to drink a beer (or Chopp) at Pinguin.

11. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good call.
    To make things clear to our visitor:

Beer -> cerveja
    Draft beer - > chopp

12. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Thanks again! This is actually my third time in Ribeirao Preto and I've had a few chopps there already. Good stuff! Ribeirao Preto seems to be very good for beer in general, I had a few other good ones there (Eisenbahn?, Colorado? - not sure about the names).

The beaches look beautiful, I'll probably check out Maresias.

13. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Colorado is a brewery from Ribeirão Preto. They have won some international prizes.
    Eisenbahn is a brewery from Blumenau, in the state of Santa Catarina.

http://www.cervejariacolorado.com.br
    http://www.eisenbahn.com.br

14. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    OK, that explains the German name, I guess there are a few people of German descent in Blumenau.

I general I was pretty impressed by the quality of the beer in Ribeirao Preto, that was something I didn't really expect.

15. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most beer in Brazil must taste like water to you. It's our culture to like really light pilsens.

The small breweries, like the ones mentioned, produce higher quality beers and have diversity. Only through them we can find brazilian stouts, ales, wheat beers and etc.

16. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Brazil and Singapore/Malaysia are possible locations for our study trip. I've a few questions and I will be incredibly grateful is some of you are willing to answer them. There is some interesting information already in this thread, so I thought I could better use this one.

1. What's the level of academics in Brazil? The University of Sao Paulo is ranked as the best university in Brazil. Are there other good universities in the same region? The field of study we are interested in is health sciences / biomedical engineering.
    2. What is the level of the health care industry in the region around Sao Paulo.
    2. What are great things to do Sao Paulo in April/May for a bunch of students? The group will consist of 30 people.
    3. How safe is Sao Paulo at night? Can you go out in the city and have a drink?

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paganitzu repped this.
  18. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry, but I don't live in São Paulo and his questions are very specific.
    About going out at night, it's pretty safe if you stay away from the bad neighborhoods and move around by taxi.
    The city has great bars, nightclubs and pubs.

Paganitzu repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Paganitzu,

I did not go to university in Brazil, so my knowledge of Brazilian universities is very limited. USP – Universidade de São Paulo – and Getúlio Vargas are two of the finest universities in all of Brazil. I have no knowledge about the strength of these two institutions’ health sciences/biomedical engineering departments.

I would speculate that health care for those who are able to afford it is good. I’m not familiar with Brazilian health care, but I do know that the level of care available to the lower-middle-class and the underclass is not enviable. Public hospitals/clinics tend to be understaffed and underequipped. Those who have enough money to pay for private health insurance plans get care, as far as I know, that is comparable to what is available to the US middle class (which doesn’t say much because ObamaCare is making things more expensive, more difficult to get, and of lower quality). Relatives of mine who are well-off all go to private doctors/dentists/hospitals and they are willing and able to open their wallets for what they get, but their cases are not indicative of what the average Brazilian has access to.

São Paulo is a very large city with a vibrant nightlife, thousands of bars and restaurants, some museums, etc. It is a sprawling city (think of Los Angeles) where you will need a car to get around.

Here’s a random list:
    - Parque do Ibirapuera. Just a park.
    - Terraço Itália: a restaurant in a high-rise building which offers a 360-degree view of the city.
    - Museu do Ipiranga: shows statues and art from Brazil’s imperial period.
    - Pico do Jaraguá: a hill that offers good views of the city.
    - Pacaembu and Morumbi stadiums: soccer matches may not be offered while you’re there, but look for tours. Pelé’s career includes many games at Pacaembu (and Pacaembu houses the Museu do Futebol), and Morumbi is the home of São Paulo Futebol Clube.
    - Mercado Municipal. Think of any major city’s main market. You’ll find pasta, smoked meats, exotic fruits, raw poultry/fish/beef/pork, and other goodies. You MUSt try a pastel de bacalhau (codfish dumpling) there.
    www.mercadomunicipal.com.br
    - Museu de Arte. If you like art, check it out.
    - Avenida Paulista is the main throughfare of the city. It’s quite safe to walk there during the day and generally at night. Tons of bars, shops, restaurants.

Given you’re young, you will enjoy the more hipster/upscale neighborhood of Vila Olímpia. It is also the center of many financial offices. Nearby neighborhoods like Chácara Itaim, Itaim Bibi, Brooklin Novo, and Cidade Jardim have restaurants and bars worth checking out.

As for safety: use common sense. If you’re clubbing in a dance club in Vila Olímpia, or if you walk out of a restaurant located in Jardins (a wealthy neighborhood), the odds are you’ll be safe. But São Paulo is a VERY large city with many neighborhoods of varying socioeconomic status. I advise you not to walk alone at night, say, in Santa Ifigênia.

It is unfortunate that a historic area of the city known as “Zona Central” or “Centro,” which once housed the city’s financial district, is also one of the more dangerous ones. It doesn’t mean there are daily murders or gang robberies, but it does mean that there is a higher incidence of petty crime and street dwellers. During the day, you should be fine, but at night, be careful. I’d actually recommend you guys get a hotel/accommodations in areas like Vila Olímpia as it’s a safer area.

While there is safety in numbers, do realize that there is, in South America, generally a higher risk of petty crime that you may not be used to if you come from North America, Europe, or certain east Asian cities. South American “criminals” often associate foreigners with money (dollars). Don’t be flashy. You may wish to leave expensive jewelry/watches at home. Not that there are no Brazilians who can afford and wear four-figure watches, etc. There are many people driving BMWs and Mercedes in São Paulo. But people like that are locals who know where to go and where to stay away from. You’re coming in as a foreigner who doesn’t know what locals know.

I’ve looked up some English-language resources and here’s what I found.

http://wikitravel.org/en/São_Paulo
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel_Guide-g303631-Sao_Paulo_State_of_Sao_Paulo.html
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g303631-Sao_Paulo_State_of_Sao_Paulo-Vacations.html
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g303631-Activities-Sao_Paulo_State_of_Sao_Paulo.html

This is a very introductory list. São Paulo is just too huge for a short visit. Its sheer enormity is daunting. Even when I lived there, I only hung out in certain areas. And every time I visit, I tend to go where I’ve already been. My own relatives and friends are always learning of new places to check out, and there are neighborhoods/areas they’ve rare if ever ventured into (not even due to safety – it is just too far for them) and other areas they haven’t been to in years, in some cases 10 years or more.

There should be plenty of English-language information online, ranging from restaurant/bar websites to museum websites, etc. Tourism is huge in Brazil and Brazilians welcome foreign visitors and do what is possible to make their visits easier. Have fun!

Paganitzu repped this.
  20. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

1. hmm for that field of study I suppose your best FREE options are USP and Unicamp (http://www.fcm.unicamp.br/fcm/), both of them are excellent. If you are willing to pay the fees, you might want to check UNIFESP (http://www.unifesp.br/) and Santa Casa (http://www.santacasasp.org.br/porta...e-ciencias-medicas-da-santa-casa-de-sao-paulo).

2. Well public hospitals are always VERY crowded, I wouldn't suggest you to use them other than in extreme emergencies. We have soem EXCELLENT paid ones though: I can personally affirm that Beneficência Portuguesa is a top grade hospital (http://www.beneficencia.org.br/Default.aspx), same for Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein (http://www.einstein.br/Paginas/home.aspx , perhaps the best one but it is VERY costly), Sírio Libanês (http://www.hospitalsiriolibanes.org.br/Paginas/default.aspx, same as Albert Einstein: absolutely top grade, but very costly) and Hospital Santa Catarina (http://www.hsc.org.br/site/portal_hsc/pt/contato/como_chegar/como_chegar.aspx, that's where I was born ^_^)

2 (?!). Can't help you on this one, I'm the "home->college->home" kind of guy, you may even call me anti-social :p

3. I guess that the key here is to watch your surroundings and use your common sense. There are some very dangerous places, but there are also some that are perfectly fine. Use your common sense, don't go around flashing your possessions, if you are going alone or with just a few people you might want to use taxis until you get more used to the place, if you are moving in crowds it's okay (and much cheaper) to use the subways.

Paganitzu repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Not familiar with it but I just read 6 of the best 10 universities in SA are in Brazil. I know a couple of good Engineering ones in the State but not in Sao Paulo. I know USP is ranked the best but not sure how it compares to Singapore and not sure about your field.

2. There is probably big differences in where you go. Sao Paulo has very good doctors and private clinics. Albert Einstein and Sirio Libanes are great Hospitals.

3. Going to a soccer game and general cultural sight seeing. The food market in the city center is cool. You should have the Mortadella sandwich with is famous. Not sure about seasonal specific. Sao Paulo has great dinning and night life. Just stay in the Vila Olimpia, Jardins, Pinheiros area. I would not go towards the "old" city center at night (don't cross Avenida Paulista).

4. Sao Paulo is dangerous during the day and at night. But the most that might happen is being mugged. Violent crimes are more specific to bad areas. At night, if you are walking between bars, make sure it's a busy area and don't wander off. Comparing to Singapore, it's not even close as I hear it's very safe given the strict laws.

Paganitzu repped this.
  22. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Thank you all so much!

In a life sciences ranking, the University of Sao Paulo is ranked 50th. That's quite good, but the universities in Brazil can't compete with Singapore.

According to the wiki page University of Sao Paulo does have some engineering degrees?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_São_Paulo

What are according to you good engineering universities in the state of Sao Paulo? Do you know some medical devices/pharmaceutical companies in the state of Sao Paulo (or in Brazil)?

To make clear, we are not going to study in Brazil. We are going to visit universities and learn about the research they perform. The duration of our trip is three weeks. We are going to represent our own university, Eindhoven University of Technology. We are also going to visit the industry (medical devices/pharma) and maybe an academic hospital.

Sao Paulo was picked as one of the locations in Brazil. We are planning to visit at least two cities/regions.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unicamp (Campinas) and USP - Sao Carlos are the ones I am familiar with. Campinas is less than 1 hour away from Sao Paulo (with no traffic). Sao Carlos is around 3 hours away (easy bus ride).

I am not sure about your 2nd question.

Paganitzu repped this.
  24. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Thanks! We decided to go for Singapore/Malaysia

But if we had to chose a location for a vacation Brazil would have 'won'.