Visiting Portugal in November

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by yasik19, Sep 17, 2009.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Hey guys,

Sorry if there's a similar thread on here, but was wondering if you can help me out.

I'm thinking of going to Portugal for 1 week in mid-November, apparently during something called St. Martin's summer.

Since I only have 1 week, but I'm one of those travelers that can walk for 12 hours straight, what do you recommend seeing?

Thanks

2. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    During that time of the year, don't expect summer weather.

I would recommend 2 days in Lisbon for the Santo Martinho festivities(castanhas-chestnuts and new wine), and then head to the northern region. Porto, and the Douro region is a great place to visit, and if you like outdoors you can't miss the Gerez mountains. Also Minho and Tras os Montes are beautiful that time of the year. Algarve is really out of the picture, but depending on the climate sometimes you can still get some beach time, overall it's still beautifull any time of the year.

Enjoy.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i am predicting that Joelzinho is prolly going to come in here and tell him to go as far south as possible

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    My thoughts exactly :D

PassItOn resumed everything clearly but I would add Sintra (nearby Lisbon) to that list. Definitely the most beautiful place you can find in Portugal. It will be grey when you visit, but it's still worth it nevertheless.

Porto has the biggest historical center in Portugal and I'm sure you'll find its decaying beauty quite charming.

Gerês is half portuguese, half spanish actually. I don't remember if all wild species are protected from the public, but I remember sighting a portuguese wolf and being 1 meter away from wild horses.
    That was years ago, don't know if anything has changed.

When it comes to Winter, the North has more to offer than the South. Alentejo isn't that beautiful anymore, Algarve becomes useless and Lisbon offers what any other european capital have.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Thanks to all.

Few more questions (although you can still answer the previous ones too :))

1. What weather should I expect? (F or C is fine either way)
    2. What neighborhoods in Porto and Lisbon should I stay?

It seems that in Lisbon, Alfama and Bairro Alto are the best choices.

6. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal

1. From 5C to 15C. It's not accurate, it's being a little pessimistic but you definitely have to bring warm clothes.

2. If you mean a place to stay. Hmm, in Porto anywhere at downtown because other places might be a little tricky.
    Lisbon I can't suggest you properly, but I'm pretty sure that Bairro Alto is a bad idea.

7. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Don't forget to stop in Conimbriga, and Coimbra on your way up.

Coimbra is a very happening town in the winter with all the university "belezas".

8. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Oh yeah, forgot to state that. Coimbra is known as city of students and academic life. There's always parties going on there if you're into that.

They have also have some interesting patrimony.

9. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Have you ever gone to Conimbriga, just outside of Coimbra?

Beautiful Roman ruins dating back to well in the BC's. My wife's grandfather had to surrender land to the government, because it was part of the ruins.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Go as far South as possible. You will get some 15 - 25 C still in Algarve......

:p

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So back to where to stay in Lisbon? Alfama, Baixo or closer to Marquis de Pombal plaza?

12. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ

I would stay in Bairo Alto, or Alfama. Their are some cool inexpensive Residenciais close to Castelo de Sao Jorge.

13. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There are some hostels in the area too I believe.

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the Algarve is my answer.

Unless it's sight seeing you're after.

And if it is Futebol you want the biggest derby is on the weekend of the 7th. Braga vs Guimerda.