Visiting Goodison

Discussion in 'Everton' started by gosya, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    So, after years of watching from afar, I've decided to visit Goodison and take in the Merseside Derby on Novermber 23rd.

I ahve several logistical questions that I hope locals (and those that have visited) can answer for me:

1. If buying tickets through brokers, are websites (similar to StubHubi n US) trustworthy?
    I was thinking primarily
    StubHub UK: http://www.stubhub.co.uk/everton-tickets/everton-liverpool-goodison-park-23-11-2013-4308362/
    and 1st4Football: http://www.1st4footballtickets.com/...ton-vs-liverpool-tickets/liverpool-14016.html

2. Which stan d should i buy tcikets in? Normally, i understand that Gwladys Stand has the most ardent supporters. Hiowever, for the Derby, I asusme the atmosphere will be godo throughout. Am I right/wrong? Should I go with Main or Bullens, and get a better view, without losing much in the atmosphere?

3. What's the best way to get from Manchester Airport? Taxi? Are there buses/trains?

4. Which area of Liverpoool is best to stay in for hotel? City Center?

5. Is best way to get form hotel to Goodison va taxi?

6. What's the best Everton-supporter pub for pre-match drink/food?

7. Would you recommend taking taxi to Anfield and then walk form thbere to Goodis0n (might was well see both grounds)?

8. What other things would you recommend I see/do in Liverpool? I assuem there is something good Beatles-related:)

Finally, 9. Is anyone else who's opn these boards planning to attend thje match? If so, would love meet up.

I know this is a long list of questions, and I don't expect one person to answer all of them (although that would be great:)). Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
    Michael

2. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will be interested in the responses here. I will want to follow the suggestions when i go too

3. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1. If buying tickets through brokers, are websites (similar to StubHubi n US) trustworthy?
    I was thinking primarily
    StubHub UK: http://www.stubhub.co.uk/everton-tickets/everton-liverpool-goodison-park-23-11-2013-4308362/
    and 1st4Football: http://www.1st4footballtickets.com/...ton-vs-liverpool-tickets/liverpool-14016.html

Sorry I don't know what's good. I do know Derby tickets will be rare and expensive

2. Which stan d should i buy tcikets in?

Gwladys or Goodison road side (Goodison road is side that the benches are on). The other two sides get a fair bit of sun. However, if you are up high enough the roof will take care of that. I highly suggest that wherever you find a ticket, you double check it's not in the liverpool away section.

3. What's the best way to get from Manchester Airport? Taxi? Are there buses/trains?

there is a train station under the airport. it's over an hour driving from Manchester-Liverpool so a taxi would cost a fortune. A private car service is cheaper but you'd have to research a few and book it probably the day before you need it to pick you up. I know getting a car from there to my Grandmas was about 30 pounds, but I don't know if that was a special rate as she knew the driver ALSO it was about 5 years ago, so inflation....

Anyway take a train from Manchester airport to Liverpool Lime Street Station. Looks like there's no transfer these days, or you might have to transfer at Manchester Piccadilly, which is just one stop out from the airport. it's about 15 pounds for a single, 18 for a 1st class.

I would suggest city center as a lot of the cultural things are there although I'm sure wherever you stay there will be a pub within walking distance. If you are adventurous you can learn about the local buses. it's not the best system ever but there are a lot of good ones around. Many originate from outside Limestreet Station at the bus transit hub.

Depends where you are staying. I took a bus from Lime street straight to the park end corner of the grounds (the players parking lot is on that end but it's still "the grounds" :)) Buses are cheap and quite reliable. A lot of people take them, and in my experience are only too happy to help you get where you are going, so long as you don't mind a bit of ribbing if it's a dark side supporter who helps you --- On that note, I'd suggest finding someone in an Everton top and asking them on Derby Day!

Right on Goodison road, at Gwladys street end. you'll find THE pub to go to. There is also a chip shop along there as well... there is a lot of good activity and fun on Goodison road before the game.

7. Would you recommend taking taxi to Anfield and then walk form there to Goodis0n (might was well see both grounds)?

A bus would be cheaper but yes, if you want to see both, you might as well get it done that day. The stadiums are separated by Stanley Park and it's not a long walk through. Just check google maps to see the paths through the park.

8. What other things would you recommend I see/do in Liverpool? I assuem there is something good Beatles-related:)

Well, Liverpool One is the big shopping center. The Albert Docks used to have a more high end store selection (but i haven't been in a while) The Liver Building, A ferry trip across the Mersey and back - they stop in two places on the south bank and then head back to Liverpool (North bank) and just keep doing a triangle. And yes, you are right, there are quite a few Beatles related things. There is the Beatles museum, and a Beatles "tour" IIRC. I'm not and haven't been local for a long time so try: http://www.visitliverpool.com/ for more ideas.

Finally, 9. Is anyone else who's opn these boards planning to attend thje match? If so, would love meet up

Sorry, I'm not even in England. :([/quote]

4. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    on the Everton side of things, you can reach out to the club about a tour of Goodison (not on a game day) and/or Finch Farm. they sometimes run those.

5. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Thank you so muich for the detailed and thoughful responses. I truly appreciate it.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Rocket, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    I saw a match at Goodison a few years back and took a local bus to get to the park, and it all went very smoothly for this Chicagoan.

I got the impression, though, that a number of people took the train and then a shuttle bus. Everton FC discusses this option at its website:

http://www.evertonfc.com/tickets/by-bus-or-train.html

If you have more than a few days in the Liverpool area, you might want to consider renting a car during your visit. Besides making the trip from Manchester Airport to Liverpool very straightforward, there are a lot of interesting day trips you can make from Liverpool. I drove down to Wales to take a look at castles and such, and England's beautiful Lake District area is about a 2 hours drive from Liverpool.

For lots of good ideas on sights to see, check out this "3 days in Liverpool" itinerary at TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g186337-l36-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

7. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Again, thanks for the responses. You guys have been really helpful.

8. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Can only echo what's been said. Derby tickets on ticket selling websites will go for a lot of money because people will pay it.

2. Which stan d should i buy tcikets in? Normally, i understand that Gwladys Stand has the most ardent supporters. Hiowever, for the Derby, I asusme the atmosphere will be godo throughout. Am I right/wrong? Should I go with Main or Bullens, and get a better view, without losing much in the atmosphere?
    I sit in the Gwladys and it's very good for games like the Derby (unless we're getting hammered, then it turns nasty) but you're right, the whole ground will be good on the day.

Train, probably. Quick, easy and not that expensive.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stay anywhere else, to be honest. Everything is on your door-step, then.

For someone who doesn't know the bus system, definitely. Cost a couple of quid.

Plenty of pubs on County Road. Food wise, only really fast-food places near the ground.

7. Would you recommend taking taxi to Anfield and then walk form thbere to Goodis0n (might was well see both grounds)?
    The less contact with their kind the better.
    Go out and get drunk.

Finally, 9. Is anyone else who's opn these boards planning to attend thje match? If so, would love meet up.
    I'll be there. Although plans with the group of lads I go with are usually done on Friday night in the pub.

9. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL unless unavoidable? :)

10. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Unfortunately it can't be avoided on such a day. :(

11. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Did you get a ticket?

gosya repped this.
  12. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    I did. Thank you.

spider_kin repped this.
  13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty exciting match, to say the least. :)

I can't recall watching a more thrilling derby, though that 3-0 win back in 2006 sure was something else.

It's a pity we didn't hold on for the win, but all in all I think it was a fair result, considering that Mirallas should have been sent off for that nasty tackle on Suarez.

I imagine it was rocking at Goodison?

14. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Sorry for the extremely late response. Yes, the atmosphere was incredible through the ground. My seats were in the main stand, and I had good view of the whole match. It was a memorable experience, and I look forward to making it an annual tradition:) I may even consider visiting Anfield for the derby - in the away section, of course :)

15. CobrasCiudadJuarez

Jul 16, 2003
    El Paso
    LOL I said I would go to the Wigan game back in 2011(?) so I can say I had done it and be happy. Yeah, I have also now been to Goodison for West Brom and Aston Villa in January/February 2013 and Crystal Palace.....in February 2014 :(. Already planning my trip for a Europa League game next season.