Visiting Away Support Info/Advice

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by Joedogsweetman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, my flight is an odd one, arriving at 12:30AM at PDX and staying at the hostel just north of the stadium. My original plan was just to take the Red Line back and forth when getting there and leaving, but that obviously has to change now. Is the cab service there fairly cheap and painless?

2. Shiver_Me

Shiver_Me Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be at least $25 from downtown to the airport. Don't know how that rates as cheap/expensive as far as cabs go.

3. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never really taken a cab so I would assume normal(but still expensive for me personally). Really have no option though so I guess it isn't that bad.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    There is a 24 hr Downtown shuttle for $14 one way or $24 round trip.

http://www.bluestarbus.com/downtown-shuttle-schedule.php

The hotel Deluxe stop looks to be the closest to where you are staying. You need to call ahead or make an online reservation

They also do an airport shuttle to your door. Call for rates.

5. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it all figured out guys, thanks. Can't wait to come see the stadium and it's nice refurbs plus share a few brews.

6. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    It's too late to be useful to SKC fans but any future away fans visiting Portland should have this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=100887964645662474994.00048ee2fa17274f64a65

It is 100% content from Timbers fans, not-for-profit oriented (i.e. there's nothing we stand to gain from it except exposing visitors to the best soccer related stuff around town) and has more content than any other soccer related guide to Portland for Hotels, Viewing Locations, MLS fan-friendly establishments and other soccer related spots.

7. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Hi, fellas.

I'm coming for the LA Galaxy match. I'll be with my 17-year-old son. I'd like to have some nice local brews before the game. what are the best places near the stadium where my son and I can get a bite, a few pints for me, and be in the thick of the pre-game action?

Thanks.

8. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Visitors! There is an app for you now!

Timbers Offer Free Meridian Mobile App to Visitors at JELD-WEN Field

Umm, cool?

9. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    For any Toronto fans visiting this weekend, you might want to take some time to visit the Oregon Brewers Festival: http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

It is generally a good time, and it can be a good way to get some craft brews before the game on Saturday.

10. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know at least one TFC fan who made it to the brewers festival last night. He was in good form by the time he got to Last Thursday singing chants at strangers! :D:cool:

11. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Canadians aren't used to strong beer.

12. aperfectring

aperfectring Member+

Jul 13, 2011
    Hillsboro, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Shush! I'm trying to milk some extra entertainment out of them!

13. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    This seems like a good enough place to ask this. Are any of you Portland supporters marathon runners? I'm heading up for the Portland Marathon a week before the Dynamo game and spending the week between up there. I also plan to be running in my Dynamo jersey, which is a tradition I have from marathons of years past. I expect I'll probably be easy to pick out of a crowd, but at least my feet will be Timbers supporters. :)

[​IMG]

14. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me. I will be right there with you doing the marathon. Well, not a marathon runner, since this will be my first.

There was a Timbers Army Hood to Coast Relay team so I do not doubt there are several others out there.

You planning on any local travel or just seeing Portland?

15. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah, an old high school friend's got a winery in Yamhill (as does everyone in Yamhill apparently) and my wife and I are going to be staying with his family for the week. I think we're heading down to Bend mid-week to see what's going on over there. Congrats on getting this far with your training. I'm sure your race will go well.

I'm not sure what to expect from the weather, though. My past experience has been mid-summer and it was pleasantly warm and not a drop of rain while I was there. That doesn't sound like the Portland of legend.

16. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not dreary yet! Occasional rain in September but probable rain in October, gets more breezy and colder. November can be the pits. You can expect possible rain but certain it will be 60 degrees or colder once the race starts warming up to somewhere between 55 and 75. Whatever the weather holds. This year it didn't really rain one drop from July until last week, which is very typical.

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know HJ -- there is Orange spraypaint.

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to you treefellers for this most helpful thread.

A few of us Orange bleeders will be up to enjoy your hospitality for the game.

One question. Would the Bitter End be a good place for about a dozen of us to gather before the game? Or will that offend some TA sensibilities and start a TA v TA war?

Just remember: A man has to know he had a choice before he can enjoy what he chose.

19. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    You're very much welcome to drink at the Bitter End.

20. Old Growth

Old Growth New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Coeur D' Alene, ID.
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My daughter did it last year, I remember it was really rainy, looked like a drown rat by the end.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an appreciated invitation we are wanting to accept.

If anyone from Timbers Army disagrees and thinks our orange presence could instigate trouble then please post something.

22. SMP_PDX

SMP_PDX Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I doubt anyone disagrees. As long as there are no jackass, the MO is to drink beer and have a great time at the game, and of course you don't decide to wear a Flounders jersey...it'll be good!

23. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It's not an invitation, just show up and have a good time. There are lots of other pubs around as well.

Since it's a Friday game and gates open around 5:45 I'm not even sure how many TA will be there.

24. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Good deal. This will be my first true traveling game(Can't count Dallas). This game and the experience of the support you guys bring is what made me plan this one. Can't wait to chat with you guys and see the game!

25. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I enjoyed running with you for a while in the marathon. Portland is a nice city with a great race and the weather was just fine for running. I hope you met your goal and I'll see all of you on Friday.