Visions of MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Mr. Knowledge, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    ...just listening to some Bob, Visions of Johanna...day after turkey day...should be studying evidence and corporations, but rather i will waste some time on big soccer.

here are my visions of MLS...

-----EASTERN CONFERENCE-----
    ATLANTIC DIVISION
    NE Revolution
    Metrostars
    FC NYC
    Philadelphia Athletic
    DC United

MID-WEST DIVISION
    Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    Kansas City Wizards
    Detroit Express
    St. Louis Americans

-----WESTERN CONFERENCE-----
    WEST DIVISION
    Real Salt Lake
    Colorado Rapids
    FC Dallas
    CAF Houston Caballeros
    CD Alamo City

PACIFIC
    CD Chivas USA
    LA Galaxy
    SJ Earthquakes
    Seattle Sounders
    Portland Timbers

-I'm not a single table proponent (like many out there), as I like the idea of fostering regional rivalries, and I think divisions help that.
    -As far as scheduling...let's go with 2(h) and 2(a) with teams in your division would be a start. that's 16 matches right there. a home and away with the other division in your conference. that's 10 more matches. one match against the remaining 10 teams, totaling 36 matches or 1 match against 4 or 6 of the other teams based on some strenght of schedule formula (to keep the total to 30 or 32 matches)
    -I think Chivas and Galaxy is going to be a great rivalry. If turns out to be, I think a 2nd team in NY or Chicago at some point wouldn't be a bad idea.
    -Given the size and diversity of the markets, I think it is inevitable that the league expands to Houston, Philadelphia and Seattle at some point.
    -Detroit, San Antonio, Portland and St.Louis have all been mentioned at some point (to varying degrees) on these boards...they fit well into my divisions so i picked them.
    -btw, i just pulled the the expansion team names out of the air...the first thing that came to my mind (im sure most of them have been tossed around before).

i really gotta study...the business judgment rule and the duty of care are calling my name.

2. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you left out teams from the southeast, i dont think mls would leave out a team from that region. i see charlotte, atlanta, or florida getting a team by 2010. i think the mls should expand to 22 by breaking it into 2 12 team divisions. no promotion/relegation. just purely for the sake of expanding.

i dont care what teams are in what division but i see it being:
    (existing 12)
    west
    la galaxy
    san jose
    cd chivas
    real slc
    colorado
    fc dallas 96
    east
    kc wizards
    dc united
    chicago
    ne revs
    metrostars
    columbus

(expansion 12)
    east
    nyc (empire fc)
    philly (philly union)
    atlanta (ac atl)
    miami (rebirth of the fusion?)
    charlotte (inter-carolina)
    rochester (rochester rhinos)
    west
    detroit (detroit city)
    houston (club houston)
    portland (portland timbers)
    seattle (seattle sounders)
    las vegas (vegas)
    phoenix

playoffs would happen seperatly in each division. there would be a "mls cup" for both divisions seperatly. the winners of each division cup would meet up against each other for the champions cup. there could be promotion/relegation but it wouldnt make since because it wouldnt mean anything because each division would be equal in parity. this brings the league total to 24 teams. again this is a long shot but this is how i would like to see it.

3. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's mine!

Boston FC
    Hartford City FC
    Providence FC
    Metro Stars FC
    Cosmos FC
    Philadelphia FC
    DC United FC
    Rochester FC
    Chicago FC
    Columbus Crew FC
    Los Angeles FC
    San Jose FC
    Chivas FC
    FC Dallas 96
    Denver FC
    Seattle FC
    Portland FC
    Real Salt Lake City

MLS renamed "The Soccer League"

No playoffs and Promotion/Relegation will exist.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Soccer league? Wouldn't it be the "FC" league

5. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The terms are interchangable. FC sounds more professional in my opinion (as 'soccer club' seems to be a youth soccer term).

I'd have called it the "Football League" but there's already one of those.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

The names are fine, pretty good even (as compared to the other plan currently in this thread). As I seem to be the only one who advocates non-traditional team names while everyone else would like to put an SC or whatever the other two letters are in front of the city name, this is a fairly reasonable compromise.

Eventually, though, MLS will have to bring in a Canadian city or two into the fold. Whether it's in the next expansion round or the one after that, Toronto or Vancouver will be in the league mix. mls2atl is also right, a team from Florida or Atlanta would spring to mind for further expansion, which is why a 24-team league would be preferable. I think the problem with that is inter-conference play would make the season too long. Might have to mean an eastern team and a western team can only meet in the MLS Cup.

So throw in playoffs and no pro/rel and this one's a winner. :)

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if they were trying to sabatoge the league.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Just like scrapping the playoffs.

9. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to work well in every other league. Instead of 2 teams having the largest amount of games, why not let all the teams have the same amount? We could help parity without the d#@$ salary cap.

10. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    FIFA rules state that a league cant have more than 18 teams. So here's how I see it when we finally reach 18.

East:
    New England
    MetroStars
    D.C. United
    Rochestor
    Chicago
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    St. Louis
    Houston

West:
    Los Angeles
    Chivas USA
    RSL
    San Jose
    Dallas
    Colorado
    Seattle
    San Antonio
    Oklahoma

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I heard Japan has playoffs. No, wait...I live in Japan. They do have playoffs.

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. What's this about "every other league" again?

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Let me guess, I'm going to hell if I break FIFA rules.

13. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If MLS wants more than 18, FIFA will grant an exception. Why? Same reason that every rule in FIFA is created...money*.

*synonym often used: "for the good of the game"

14. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    and I could swear I was watching a Mexican playoff game today. But it was in Spanish, so maybe I'm mistaken

15. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it was the Toluca game then yes it was a home and home 2 leg playoff the winner i believe plays the winner of Atlas v. Guatalajara "Chivas" for the apatura or clausura what ever it is this season.

16. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    League or division? I believe that once a league hits 18 it needs to create a second division to hold another 18, etc. The goal, as stated by MLS, is to eventually consisit of a single division of 18 teams. That doesn't mean a single table; we will still organize the teams into conferences. The sheer size of the country encourages that arrangement. If soccer ever really takes off, the issue of a second division -- and promotion/relegation -- will have to be seriously considered. As of now, the USL has reconfigured into a 1st Division and 2nd Division. I suppose that makes MLS our Premiere League.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Yeah, and what do the Mexicans know about soccer anyways? Hah! :)

18. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how can that be true when the epl has 20 teams?

19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other leagues have more than 18 teams, also. FIFA declared that 18-team rule only in the past couple of years, after those leagues were formed. They now use whatever influence they care to (at this point, not much) to try to get the individual FA's to conform. So far, the Football Association, among others, is virtually ignoring the rule.

In fact, I can't think of a country which has conformed to it at this point, which obviously means that the rule amounts to so much pissing into the wind on FIFA's part.

20. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm not sure they are so inflexible that a leage can NOT have more than 18 teams. They just want to keep the number of games to a reasonable level and assume that all teams would play all other teams home and away. With regional conferences (and playoffs at the end to bring the conferences together), that wouldn't necessarily be the case, and the league could grow to larger than that without teams needing to play too many games. I honestly don't think FIFA would have a problem with that, and considering the large geographic area (and wealth and population) of the U.S., a league with more teams divided into regions actually makes more sense to me than a smaller, single-table league.

21. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is one point on which, if all goes well (and soccer does indeed grow as popular as I'm sure we all hope), MLS might go its own way on this issue. If there really are more than 18 cities and owners willing and able to support top-level soccer teams, I suspect MLS might continue to grow beyond 18 teams, dividing regionally (with playoffs to bring the regional tables together at the end of the season) rather than forcing some teams into lower divisions. I just don't think that once the pride of cities and major investors is involved that they will tolerate being relegated (assuming that they are financially successful enough to want to continue).

22. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mine...10 in each division...2 games against division opponents (18) and 1 against other conference (10) and an extra game against two teams from the other conference for a total of 30 regular season games...top 4 in each conference make the playoffs...single elimination playoffs...

WEST -

Los Angeles Galaxy
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kansas City Wizards
    FC Dallas
    Colorado Rapids
    CD Chivas USA
    Real Salt Lake
    Seattle Evergreens
    Portland Pioneers
    Houston Apollos

EAST -

DC United
    Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    New England Revolution
    MetroStars
    Rochester Rhinos
    Miami Sharks
    Detroit Wolves
    Philadelphia Independence
    New York Empire

23. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

My vision of MLS is this:
    - 24 teams, 8-team playoffs, first round is best-of-five
    - regular season overtime
    - no promotion/relegation
    - mandated American football-style field markings
    - goals from outside the 18 count as double
    - every season, MLS draws from a pot containing all the FIFA LOTG that haven't been broken yet, and breaks the one that's drawn
    - plastic horns for every fan under 16

There. That way, in the future, if I've ever said something that's inconsistent with what's here, you can feel free to quote me in your reply.

24. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Personally, I think 24 teams is too many. 18 is perfect. Play each team twice (home and away) for a total of 34 games.

25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's how it should be.