Virginia, Carolinas, Georgia, the SE and Nascar

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by worldcup76, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's completely out of context!

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Way too many pro players played pro ball in the South - which I'm defining as Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia south of NoVa - to think that the sport isn't very popular there at the youth level or that there isn't a soccer culture in the south.

This obviously doesn't automatically mean that MLS teams in the South will get great fan support but it certainly shows there is an interest in and understanding of the game in big parts of the South, particularly NC and GA.

CURRENT MLS PLAYERS (apologies if I left anyone out)
    Corey Ashe - Virginia Beach, VA
    Darrius Barnes - Raleigh, NC
    Wade Barrett - Virginia Beach, VA
    Evan Brown - Raleigh, NC
    Ray Burse - Prospect, KY
    Ricardo Clark - Jonesboro, GA
    Adam Cristman - Richmond, VA
    Sam Cronin - Winston-Salem, NC
    Brian Edwards - Charlotte, NC
    Jason Garey - Gonzales, LA
    Michael Harrington - Greenville, NC
    John Michael Hayden - Louisville, KY
    Will Hesmer - Wilson, NC
    Mac Kandji - (went to HS in Charlotte, NC after coming to the US)
    Boyzz Khumalo - (went to HS in Bardstown, KY after coming to the US)
    Brad Knighton - Richmond, VA
    Michael Kraus, Memphis, TN
    Jonathan Leathers - Athens, GA
    Justin Mapp - Brandon, MS
    Clint Mathis - Conyers, GA
    Richard Mulrooney - Memphis, TN
    Logan Pause - Hillsborough, NC
    Anthony Peters - Baton Rouge, LA
    Eddie Robinson - Greensboro, NC
    Clyde Simms - Jamestown, NC
    Carey Talley - Cordova, TN
    Wells Thompson - Winston-Salem, NC
    Lawson Vaughn - Marietta, GA
    Josh Wolff - Stone Mountain, GA

CURRENT EUROPE-BASED PLAYERS
    Grover Gibson - Fredericksburg, VA
    Joseph Lapira - Lake Charles, LA
    Etchu Tabe - (went to HS in Milledgeville, GA after coming to the US)

RETIRED (I'm sure I've forgotten some)
    Steve Jolley - Virginia Beach, VA
    Jason Kreis - Mandeville, LA
    Jason Moore - Snellville, GA
    Ross Paule - Germantown, TN
    Eddie Pope - High Point, NC
    Henry Ring - Franklin, TN
    Jonny Walker - Memphis, TN
    John Wilson - Seneca, SC

Plus there are a lot in the USL-1 and many more elite college and YNT players in the pipeline from the South.

Note also that this list includes no Hispanic players despite the fact that large areas of the South have large and growing Latino populations. Once those players start making there way through the ranks - and it's a matter of time before they do - even more players from the South will be in the pros.

3. ZACicker

ZACicker Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Hartford Expansion Possibility?

I'm sure overlap is fine except that the races tend to happen on Saturday/Sunday afternoon (and are all day events due to tailgating) when the MLS games are going on, so it's a logistical issue of not being able to attend both, since they both run during the Spring/Summer/Fall weekends.

I believe Nascar runs from Feb-Nov, and MLS March-Nov [give or take a week or whatever]. Although I certainly don't see much interest in soccer from motor sports people I know. They watch football/basketball in the winter, but when the race is on it's the thing to watch [that is just my personal experience with numerous family/friend Nascar fans in rural KY so take it with a grain.] During the summer baseball is still a big deal in some circles, but I do see alot of soccer popularity in Louisville on campus.

4. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing soccer is different than watching soccer. There are pro players that admit not even liking watching the game as a spectator. Just because a bunch of players come from some place doesn't mean that it will be able to support a team.

Besides, that's just a list. It's not statistically valid. The states you listed contain nearly a fifth of the US population. If you can show me how that area has more players proportionally than another area of similar population then you may have something. I'm sure that you'll find an impressive number of players from California as well, but that's most likely due to that being the most populous state than anything else. Well, here's a standard for you, based on 2008 estimates those states contain 18.35% of the US population. If you can show me that those states account for more than that amount of US players currently pro, then you may have a valid point.

And even then, like I said, there may not even be a huge correlation between pro soccer player development and pro soccer team fan support.

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I didn't take the list as trying to prove some proportional statistic, but rather there are a lot of soccer players who have come from the South.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

But NASCAR doesn't have a home/away schedule like other sports do. People in the South may travel to Talledega or Atlanta (and maybe Bristol), but they won't go to Dover or New Hampshire; they'll just watch it on TV. So, if the race is on Sunday (and since most MLS games played on Sunday aren't shown on free TV anyway), they can go to the game on Saturday (if it's close), or watch it on TV (Saturday, Thursday, whenever). Not saying that's what happens, but they have the option.

And I thought stereotypes were supposed to be bad.:(

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love these threads because they offer an opportunity for some provincials to show their ignorance and bigotry.

And by "provincials," I mean "Northeasterners."

8. ZACicker

ZACicker Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quite a few will travel to several races a year though. And the races aren't cheap. I went to a Busch Race [it's like the Division 2 of racing with the Sprint Cup being 1] and it was like 100$ not including parking and concessions. 100 for a mid level seat to a second tier race! I could probably drive to 2 Columbus games from Louisville and sit lower deck with parking for less that! The Sprint Cup races are even more expensive. Plus all the tailgating/parking/etc. Going to one race could equal going to several games if you're getting cheap seats [upper deck or behind the goal or whatever]. Even a few races could equal out to the amount of an entire season ticket set.

As to watching on TV, I guess but like you said finding games is difficult if you don't have MLS Direct Kick, FSC or a local affiliate finding the games can be tough. Money for those things might be redirected to the above hobby. Don't underestimate the passion and money that is poured into being a NASCAR fan. :)

9. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I really think that NASCAR is the dumbest "sport" that Americans watch. Now that is my opinion and many people like watching NASCAR and I know a few that live all the way up here in MN. I do however think that using the fact that 100 of thousands of people who go to NASCAR events and saying that soccer can't work there is complete horse****. I want a MLS team in Minneapolis just as much as you guys want a team in ATL or other cities and just as much as Northeasteners want more teams to fill their already filled up area. NASCAR nowhere rules out MLS, the fans that watch NASCAR can choose to either watch it or not, but just because they watch another sport doesn't mean they wont watch soccer.

Also using the SEC or ACC arguement is crap as well. I go to my college's football games and I'm yelling and making as much noise as I can, but I'm really not a fan of american football. If MLS had a match on the same day I would go to that and be just as rowdy. I don't know how mant people down south would skip out on their fooseball to watch soccer but I'm guessing it is more than people would suggest.