Virgin plans oil refinery

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Ian McCracken, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry...not that kind of virgin, but Virgin Airlines owner Richard Branson. It's high time new refineries were built in the US, although reading the article it doesn't appear all that likely to occur here.

Virgin plans oil refinery
    September 14, 2005

THINK you are upset about high gas prices? Maverick British entrepreneur Richard Branson is so furious he wants to build his own oil refinery.

Like the rest of the airline industry, Mr Branson's Virgin Atlantic Airways has been stung by higher jet fuel prices and was forced to raise fuel surcharges for the second time in four months.

Hurricane Katrina sent oil prices soaring to $US70 a barrel because it shut several US Gulf Coast refineries, which turn crude oil into products like diesel, gasoline and jet fuel.

"If we don't start now to get more refineries built then fuel prices could literally rocket to $US100-$US200 (per barrel of oil) and the world economy would come to a grinding halt," Branson said in an interview on financial news network CNBC overnight.

Mr Branson did not say where he wants to put his refinery, but some analysts said he should not look to the US, where no one has built a refinery in 29 years.

"My immediate reaction to that is: Not in the US," said Paul Flemming, oil analyst at Energy Security Analysis Inc. "That's definitely more pie in the sky than anything."

In the US, getting a permit could involve years of navigating local, state, and federal regulations and protests from environmental and community groups, analysts say.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great if he did invest in a refinery, I would also like to see him invest in alternate fuel as well, with a long term investment frame of mind.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is Branson, I am surprised, shocked actually, that he isn't going into the natural gas business... more profit in natural gas than oil...and more off-shore gas platforms are being installed... the oil business has a lot of upstart speculators while natural gas seems a better bet!

4. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A couple of days ago they had the head of Air Canada talking that each $1 increase in oil cost them huge amounts of money.

Although I forget the actual number, it was at least $20 Million.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    This is the part of the story that makes me queasy. One of the major issues in this country is our desperate need for more refineries, specifically refineries that can handle "sour" crude that is more readily available.

7. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Being he owns an airline, I am sure he wants a chance to get cheaper fuel prices for his business.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if enough of these people get together they will find a better cleaner fuel solution?

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Damnit, I haven't seen a virgin getting oil-pumped since that time I parted ways since €30.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Are you sure that's oil ?

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Man oil, yes.

Couldn't tell you whether it was crude or not, though.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How can you tell?

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Refined oil pumps easier - more fluidly - I've been told.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense ITN, but Branson knows how to make money. If he's going into a certain area, I'm willing to be he knows he can make a tidy profit.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he could put it in the Virgin Islands. Or he could just buy an Island and put it there.

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand how refineries aren't being built in places like California or New Jersey, but why aren't they being built in Texas or Alabama or Louisiana? Mexico is always an option.

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Google Arizona Clean Fuels, there's a car dealer in Phoenix who has been trying for 15 years to get a refinery built in Arizona, using all sorts of different crude/product combinations

here's one reason why investors aren't jumping on it, no matter what you do there's the impossible to placate nimbys. The investors must reckon that their $2 billion is better used elsewhere.
    http://www.refineryreform.org/spotlight_yuma_az.html

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arizona seems an ulikely location to build a refinery. Don't you want to build the refinery as close as possible to where the oil is located?

21. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Last time I looked, in the late 90's, the scheme was to use an empty crude pipeline going from the central valley of California to El Paso. Cheap but dirty crude, low transportation cost, and convert it into gasoline, diesel and jet fuel for the local users.

Now it looks like they're proposing some sort of pipeline from Mexico, that seems more expensive and dubious.

The fact is that they're competing with refineries that have very low capital charges, they're all paid off and held together with duct tape. The returns from a brand new $2.5 billion clean and spiffy refinery don't get investors very excited.