Violence In Soccer

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Sober Tom, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to write my mid-term research paper for college, and i've decided to write it on the violence that occurs at matches throughout the world. I've read a few books already on it, but I need some more diverse info(not just english/euro stuff). Can anyone give me some links or references?

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say if you read any of the plethora of hooligan books on the market, bear in mind that much of what is written within their covers is bordering on fiction. They are written to make money, not be serious journalism. Although a bit out of date now Bill Bufurd's among the thugs is a better effort as it is from an impartial American's viewpoint. But even that fails to a large degree as he goes out specifically looking for trouble and then claims it normal when he finds it. It'd be like going deliberately into the roughest bars in town and claiming that all bars are full of drunks having fights.

3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    You wanna do some good...try writing a paper on how the media has overblown violence in soccer.

4. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what I'm doing...problem is, all the books seem to border on fiction. If I can find some evidence that contradicts it and states the facts, than that helps out my argument.

5. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    Yes, the media has overblown this whole violence thing. I'm so sick of Americans reading the paper and saying, "See, look soccer is a violent sport." I try to explain to these people that it's the greatest sport in the world but then their like, "Well, I'll just watch my baseball." or something like that.

The media is brainwashing everyone to think that a riot happens at almost every game which is NOT true. It ticks me off when there is such little info on international matches around the world in American media yet when some disturbance happens somewhere at a soccer match and they have a huge article on it with pics. Until this gets at least balanced out, Americans will never like international soccer as a whole which is sad.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider researching the violence that erupts at other sporting events (in the US especially). Bring up Michigan State's semi-annual riot, or the injuries coming from rushing the field and tearing down goalposts. There is plenty of action in the US.
    Maybe a soccer violence vs sport violence in general?

7. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    put a .com after my user name and then click on miscellaneous, then u.s., then academic study. there you'll find a site called futbolero. contact the webmaster. if he can't point you in the right direction, no one can.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know several people in "the media" and we always have discussions about why only bad stuff pops up in the news. It is hard to cover good news. There's no capitivating sound bytes or dramatic footage. It is so easy to capture people's imaginations with the extreme, no matter how seldom it really occurs.

I read this book called "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" a few years ago and that was one of its primary arguments. TV and most other forms of media dealing with negative or sensational things obscure reality. I know you are looking for books, but in some ways the same goes for it.

9. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Please make the point that every weekend there are tens of thousands!!!! matches played around the world without incident and that the american "media" only shows us the "one" game where something bad happens.
    Here is a link showing some data to back up your argument (1:500.000 soccer teams, 300.000 profesional clubs, etc.):

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/23523_E.html

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What EXACTLY do you want to write about?

11. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to write about how violence in soccer is projected throughout, not only the american media, but media around the world as well.

However, I want to make it abundantly clear that incidents at matches are very rare.

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Aha.

Well I can tell you some stuff about the Dutch media. We've had a real media offensive against fanatic football fans in The Netherlands. Ofcourse it won't be 100% objective but I can try.

The statement that violence is very rare at football matches is not completely true although it depends on what you call 'rare' I guess. There's a lot of clubs that have virtually no incidents at all and there are plenty clubs that have several incidents each season.

13. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This might help, if you look at Russia and Japan in World Cup of 2002. I used search at espnsoccernet.com. Then I typed in Russia Versus Japan World Cup 2002. It list several articles and incidents. The Russia riots following lost to Japan were somewhat something of fierceness. I read. Russians found Japannesse Music Student and beat them up. Little international/national switch-a-rue.

http://search.soccernet.com

14. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A good follow up article is dated 07 Sep. 02. The Russia Versus Ireland game is list at above link via search on page of second.