News: Vincenzo Bernardo signed with FC Hoechst (Austria, 3rd Div.)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by giorgiochinaglia, Jan 31, 2011.

1. giorgiochinaglia

Mar 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this report on SoccerItalia.info (the same guys of Adu's news.Who the hell are these people in Italy?).
    It says that Bernardo officially signed for austrian club FC Hoechst. He already went through medical. No info aboutthe legth of the contract and the money.

After Adu in Turkish 2nd division, I would have not thought about something worst. I really don't understand the path ofthese guys.

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted an article in the other Bernardo thread that says he signed through the summer.

3. giorgiochinaglia

Mar 11, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is pretty sample. They have no other offers.

5. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    True and he can't rely on his Napoli youth career anymore. That only works for so long and he's been out of the Naploli system for what 2 years now?

He needed a club to start his senior career and get actual first team experience. He found it in the Austrian 3rd divsion with a club that was recently promoted and will probably be relegated again.

Youth team experience only gets a player so far. It works for probably a few months to a year after they leave but after that teams are going to want to see first team experience. Scoring a lot of goals at youth level is fine but it doesn't exactly translate to first team football success.

I believe he said in the podcast interview he had offers from Austrian 2nd division teams but ended up choosing Hoechst.

He said on twitter that the first game after winter break March 18th will be on tv so there will probably be a stream.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vinny has actually been getting some first team playing time.... He's been mostly coming off the bench for the Hoechst, who are dead last in the Regionalliga West (third tier in Austria).

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He scored in a cup game for them recently but I don't think he's scored in the league. I think Hoechst have picked up 4 points since his arrival.

http://www1.vsport.at/153.0.html

8. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Jersey's Vincenzo Bernardo ends Austrian sojourn, eyes possible MLS contract

"The Austrian lifestyle is pretty calm, so it wasn't too difficult to adapt here," he said. "Living in a small countryside town like Hochst was a very interesting experience. I got to see a lot of farm animals, which was very cool for me since I was raised in North Jersey and lived in such a busy city like Napoli for the past three years. Overall, I really enjoyed my six-month stay and I definitely have some memorable experiences that I will take with me."

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Why is it assumed anyone who doesn't play in Europe can come back and have a MLS contract handed to him. There's a reason why he says he can't talk about which MLS teams are in contact with him because its zero. Didn't he already trial with a few MLS and USL teams and didn't get an offer?

12. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Kansas City and San Jose. He went to the Philly Union/Harrisburg City open tryout, Harrisburg City wanted him to play with them (USL-Pro) but he went to Austria instead. He also trialed with Rochester Rhinos.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good luck to the kid. His website says he is in the u-23 national team pool. Is everybody who is under 23 and american in that pool?

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He self proclaimed himself a U23 US National Team pool player despite the fact he has no team is 22 and is hanging out in his parents basement.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just wanted to chime in and confirm what others have insinuated in this thread, the kid is a head case. He doesn't have the talent to get an MLS contract, really.

I really don't want to rag on him, but after talking to him a few times, it is obvious that he has a massive ego.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I too am not big on ripping on those humble players who try to pursue their dreams and may not quite get there. That should be celebrated. But in every interview he always talks about big things like the National Teams, Napoli first team practices, all the teams that want him, how everyone starts in low leagues and then succeeds. How about editing your website to a more thoughtful moderate tone. I found this on the site:

He has caught the eyes of scouts and opposing managers alike, netting 7 goals over this time-span. His latest strike was during a 1-1 draw in the Austrian Cup versus SC FuBach. The match ended in penalty kicks, and saw FuBach come away as winners. Although a disappointing defeat for FC Hochst, Bernardo continues to impress abroad, and is showing the football world his tremendous potential.

17. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I love Bernardo. His threads are always providing nice comic relief.
    Those are the first threads that I click. Seriously.

18. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    the league website says he scored 1 goal in 11 matches. I am assuming that his 7 in 17 includes exhibitions, maybe cup matches.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is probaly not gonna be much better than Santino Quaranta but at someday there will be another great Italian American.:D

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Austria has a very long winter break about 3 months so towards the end of the break they play a lot of friendlies. He did score 1 league goal and 1 cup goal I think the rest are in the friendly matches.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Santino has accomplished way more than Bernardo. They're not even in the same league.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no question.

Vincenzo Bernardo has never been anything other than a fabrication by his PR people. I don't know why it pisses me off.

Comparing Santino Quaranta to Bernardo is a massive insult to Santino. I don't know why Santino's name came up. He's played over 150 MLS games, won an MLS Cup, won a USOC, won a Gold Cup with the USMNT. If I remember correctly he kicked one of the penatly kicks that gave us victory over Panama in the 05 Gold Cup final. Before his drug problems, he was a very good player indeed.

Can we all just wake up and realize we're talking about a mediocre player in the Austrian 3rd division? Who is he impressing? Scouts from the Moldovan 4th division?

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry I just used the first name that came to mind. I should've just said that at this rate he is not gonna be much better than a reserve player for Sporting KC or something.

24. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    You mean Vincenzo himself? It is pretty obvious that he is the one updating that thing. :)

25. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that the Regional Liga didn't even pick back up until mid-March...unless it's the PDL no way did they play 17 matches in that short a time frame.

He claimed 8 goals in 18 matches on Twitter earlier. I'm somewhat skeptical regarding his own claims of numbers.