Viewing Locations - Columbia, Ellicott City, Laurel

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by ongreystreet, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can go ahead and ask them what its going to take to get direct kick and then we'll see what kind of support we can drum up in here.

2. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm all about getting a DCU bar in the area...but what are we to do about Saturday. :(

3. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can still go to the other viewing parties or buy it yourself.

4. Troy G

Troy G New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    WMATA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks Dad! Be home at midnight! :cool:

5. coachplayerfan1

coachplayerfan1 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I just called the restaurant, and they said it would be fine but I will have to talk to the manager this evening when I work about getting Direct Kick. Since I have the full season package of it, is it pay per view or do you have to buy the whole package to see just that one game?

6. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen online pubs/bars can buy the entire season, or what is left of it for $100. I imagine the cost per single game PPV is a rip off.

7. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to buy the whole package (which I believe is $100 for commercial establishments). However ask if there is a discount at this point since the season is half over. Obviously if more than 5 of you blow more than $20 each the bar will get it's $ back in one night.

The SEs have people out that way so I'll keep checking here (or shoot me a pm) and I can let our peeps know to help numbers.

K

8. coachplayerfan1

Jun 28, 2007
    I checked-it is now $49 for the half season package, so it's not that bad. How many people would you expect to come out from this area? I'm sure if I let them know that it would be a DCU viewing location in columbia, they would be willing to get it for this game and others too. I guess if it doesn't work out when I talk to them, I can tell them that one of you can call them to make it more "official".

Afterall, I don't know if they will take a 16-year old hostess (me!) as seriously as one of you asking them. :eek:

9. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent a link to this thread to the SE reg captains who are charged with setting up viewing parties so hopefully the people from this area will be in touch.

K

10. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can get this place, how many people would plan on attending tomorrow night at the Victoria Gastro pub in Columbia?

I can stop by there this evening to talk to someone after I get off work, and send a message out late tonight early tomorrow.

11. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Victoria Pub tonight and spoke with the manager, its late notice about the direct kick stuff, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for watching any games there this weekend. The place was pretty cool, they don't have many TVs but if the game is on you could see it anywhere in the bar. I might go bug a few other places in town tomorrow about setting something up in the future.

12. coachplayerfan1

Jun 28, 2007
    So how did it go with the manager? Sorry you got stuck with tori and she tried to sell our beer and wine dinners to you. The other managers seemed interested when I told them. Yeah there are 2 tvs but it is all HD (even FSC shows up really clear) and you can see it from any place in the bar. If you find another place that has more tvs that would be good. Sorry if I couldn't help!

13. deandykema

deandykema New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As somebody who enjoys pub viewing, it is encouraging to see the interest in local pub viewing in this thread. I'd be open to ideas on where to go in the Columbia area on Wednesday - hearing none, I would suggest James Joyce Pub, 616 S. President St. in Baltimore, (410) 727-5107, www.thejamesjoycepub.com

James Joyce Pub is like a pub in Dublin that has been airlifted to the U.S. Even the people who work there come directly from Ireland, giving it authentic appeal. Very soccer friendly!

14. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so anything finalized for wednesday?

15. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know James Joyce is a go, they've confirmed for Wed

K

16. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to stop at the Green Turtle in Columbia tonight and check with those guys, the place has a ton of big screens and half the tables have TVs in booths with sports only channels. They are located not far off 175 between 29 and 95.

I'll send out another message tonight to confirm they are showing the Wednesday night game, vs. NE at 7:30, at the Columbia, MD Green Turtle.

17. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Greene Turtle in Columbia will show the game (Comcast Sports Net) Wednesday night at 7:30. I'll probably get there around 7. If anyone is interested in meeting up and having a few beers let me know and I'll be there.

8872 Mcgaw Rd
    Columbia, MD 21045
    (410) 312-5255
    It's by the California Tortilla and right next to the Cheeburger Cheeburger.

There is also a Soccer American around the corner which is worth a visit as well.

http://www.socceramerican.com/

They have everything everything need to play and train, plus a ton of international club and national teams jerseys, plus a pretty large selection of DC United merch.

18. deandykema

deandykema New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent idea, count me in.

19. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i might be in for this

20. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's three so far:

ongreystreet
    pkhooligan
    deandykema

Wednesday night, 7 pm at Green Turtle in Columbia.

anyone else interested?

21. QS Rez

QS Rez Member

Jul 28, 2007
    TFW
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am game. I will try to recruit others who aren't on BS.

22. 20oth

20oth Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Severn, Md
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I may do this.

23. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhhh MAYBE. Along with the DC game tomorrow i'm also going to watch the Honduras vs Mexico match. Have to support my country and fellow United player Guerrero.

24. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 question

1) what kind/size of tv do we get to watch it on?
    2) any specific seating guidelines?
    3) will the USMNT game be on afterwards?

25. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to the Green Turtle for dinner before, but never to just drink and watch, but the other night I took a better look around and talked to the hostess to get a better idea of what we can expect.

1) The place has three sections: booth's with TV's at the booth, the bar with flat screens(40+ inch), and bar tables on the perimeter with flat screens(40+ inch).

2) As far as seating, there is a bar table section when you first walk in on the right, it is enclosed with a half wall and is a bit elevated. I am hoping to get there around 7 and try to get at least 2 tables in this section.

3) I don't see why they wouldn't switch the TVs over to ESPN for the USMNT game.

I think this place will work out well. It's a new place, new construction (not a retro fit) all TV's are large flat screens with good sigh lines, the food is good, so is the service.

I think the plan of action needs to be get there early, take over the corner of the place, eat and drink a lot, half time drink and smoke a lot, second half drink and yell a lot, leave a nice tip and then I'll start bugging them about getting direct kick.