View From The Mezzanine: MLS Playoff Preview

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
  2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Death to the rational one!!!!

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Well at least you got the rivalry one right.

I am afraid you got the other wrong.

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be fair to Chris if I responded to his picks without making my own.

EAST
    Crew v. Revolution - Crew will advance 3-1 on aggregate.
    United v. MetroStars - Tougher series than it would look. The whole Gaven thing really worries me. United hasn't shown that they can shut him down. But Metros haven't shut down many United attackers this year either. A high-scoring, brawl of a series goes United's way, 5-4 on aggregate. I think both sides will be talking about this series for years to come.

WEST
    Galaxy v. Rapids - Sorry, Chris, I don't see how the Rapids are going to score 3 goals in 2 games. But I do think they advance. Rapids, 1-0 on aggregate.
    Wizards v. Quakes - Quakes advance, 3-2 on aggregate.

WESTERN FINAL
    San Jose edges Colorado, 2-1.

EASTERN FINAL
    Sorry, y'all, I think Chris got this one right, only because it's in Columbus. Crew win, 2-1.

MLS CUP FINAL
    Somehow, for reasons I haven't exactly pinned down yet, there will be an upset. Quakes 3-2 in a final that will mirror last year's affair.

Hope I'm right on a few - hope I'm wrong on a couple. My final pick surely now means that San Jose is out in the first round. :D

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    United took it to CLB last time in CLB, even a man down..we come in as a very hot team, and I think they may be 'due' a loss..anything can happen..just food for thought..

I hope San Jose doesnt win a third cup just because

a. I want United to win a 4th
    b. I want United to be the only club with 3 of those puppies :)

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I generally agree with you on certain things Cweed, but this time I can't. I have kept this cape (a.k.a Straightjacket of blind ignorance) on since JUne and we are second in the division and on the way to the playoffs healthy.

I still think the final will be DC 2 : 1 LA....call me crazy...everyone else has.

7. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I don't really understand how home field advantage is all that great of an advantage in the two-leg format. Also, I don't really see how Cow stadium is all that great of a home field advantage for the Crew, as the crowd pretty much wears the kid gloves even on their best of days.

Sure, it is nice to have the potential overtime period at home, but otherwise, it seems a pretty even split. I can actually think of a way that it cuts against the high seed, as the team who hosts first can in some ways choose the course of the series. If, for example, the first game post a shut out or low score 1-0 win or 0-0 tie, you've got the perfect road scenario...score one away goal and you can overcome a lot of other team short comings.

By that token, the DC-Metro series would be quite troublesome if not for the great psychological advantage that we have over them now. Bradley's a good coach, and he'll right his ship. However, DC's momentum will carry them through to play against the Cows. I see the DC-Crew match up being really tight and I feel that because of the 2-game split that the true RFK home advantage will outweigh the minimal boost for the Crew at Cow stadium. When RFK gets behind DC, I see the bananas rotting away.

Cheers,
    Tim

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one problem Tim, there is no return trip to RFK to play Cumblowus, the conference final is a one-game winner-take-it-to-the-Cup game - hopefully we'll be in LA that week .......

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't see Columbus riding their wave of success all the way through the playoffs. They have relied on luck and and individual performances to tie (and sometimes win) games. That kind of streak can't go on forever, and I think one loss in the playoffs within the first series is enough to derail them completely.

Besides, DC has done well against Columbus all season, even when we didn't have our best players. If we field a full force team against them, I know we can beat them.

10. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes me nervous to look past the Metros. But, we own them and I expect that to continue.
    I would love for the Rev's to knock off the Crew.
    That home game would be sweet.
    We can beat Columbus in Ohio.
    If we do that, there's no stopping us if LA's a neutral field that day.
    It could be a Galaxy home field.
    Nevertheless, if we knock off Columbus in their house, it would go a long way to exorsizing our road demons.

11. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Tim I think home field for the home and home series is huge. Think of watching any game with two halfs and think of the first half on the road and the second half at home, because basically that's what this is. How many times have we needed to kill time to preserve a win, or get that extra goal just to tie or even win but in the second half? It happens almost every game. Someone here will do the math I'm sure, but how many games do you think we put the game away in the first half? Not many at all.
    So being at home second half is far better than being on the road second half. And I say that knowing that I'm out of town on 10/30 and will miss the game. But it's much better for United to have it this way!

12. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Remember, the CLB streak is unbeaten, not all wins. Sure its still pretty impressive, but I bet there are a ton of ties in there. They have been playing for the tie for weeks.

United has won 5/6 going into the playoffs, I like our chances