Vieira on his way back?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mixmastermatt, Jan 1, 2006.

1. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gunners Want Vieira Back - Report
    Sun 01 Jan, 10:09 AM

Arsenal are being linked with a shock bid to bring Patrick Vieira back to Highbury, according to The Sunday People.

Advertisement
    The French midfield star left London last summer, joining Italian giants Juventus in a £13million deal.

Since then he's helped the reigning Serie A champions dominate again in the first half of the season - the Bianconeri are currently eight points clear at the top.

Arsenal meanwhile have struggled badly without their midfield enforcer, and currently lie sixth in the Premiership table a massive 22 points behind Chelsea.

They've been particularly vulnerable away from home, where Vieira's physical presence was so vital in the past.

Now according to The People Arsene Wenger is set to move, with Vieira reportedly having told friends he misses Highbury.

The go-between in the deal to set up a return ticket is ex-Gunner Gilles Grimandi, who was a part of the 1998 Double-winning squad that Vieira anchored.

When he left Highbury Vieira said: "I saw myself finishing my career at Arsenal... and I was looking forward to leading the team out at Ashburton Grove.

"One moment I was discussing with Arsene Wenger our expectations for the new season, the next I was told by David Dein there was an offer from Juventus and that the club was neutral about my decision to accept it or not... I did not understand it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

From a tabloid, granted, but way to radical not to discuss!

I for one won't say no!

2. SF Gooner

SF Gooner New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    tri state stunna
    He wont bring him back. not after all the stuff he's said about not wanting to stunt the young players progress.

3. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Can I take this opportunity to say that I never said a bad word against the man!! ;)

..and the Great One is the go-between! Sweet!!!

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    That has to be one of the most ludicrous stories I've ever seen. Not only do you reference a tabloid, you don't say which one, or provide a link. And they don't quote a single person on the actual possibility of him returning, which would happen if the story had some truth.

And secondly, why on earth would Vieira come back?

5. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Vieira comes back to England, it'll be to play for Leeds.

6. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Well I would ask how you know he is quoting a tabloid if he hasn't said which one. Are you clarevoiant, or did you just forget you had read to following line right at the start of the post?

ANYWAY. Hardly a reputable source, and im sure ive heard something similar before. This has all come from his recent visit to watch us play Portsmouth which everyone seems to have read too much into.

Personally I wouldnt want him back. I think it would be a step backward for the club, and if we continued to suck in Away games after his return, who do we pin the blame on then eh?

Edu.... :D

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want the link (not that there's anything to it) check out the transfer thread.

8. carw2005

carw2005 New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Herts, UK
    I would love for Vieira to come back - I never wanted him to leave! Cant see Wenger admitting he made a mistake though and isnt Vieira playing well at Juve? What would be the point of Juve selling him?

Sounds like tabloid rubbish to me!

9. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Im sure everyone at Arsenal would love him back but I dont think theres anyway Juventus are going to be selling him. I can see him retiring at Juventus.

10. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Are they still playing? I thought they went bust!

11. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    In other news, we'll be getting Liam Brady back any minute now.

12. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you guys hear? Herbert Chapman was cryogenically frozen and is coming back to take over from Wenger... :rolleyes:

13. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
  14. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    He's still there.

15. BennyNL redded

BennyNL redded Red Card

Dec 21, 2005
    Rotterdam
    yeah right. like Vieira would leave the Serie A nr1 to come back to the premiership number 6.

arsenal fanboys, get a FVCKIN grip m8s :eek:

16. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Thanks for your supurb input. Really wanted........ :rolleyes:

17. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Methinks you missed the joke!

(Hint: Read Fever Pitch and Hornby's tribute to Brady..it was true!)

18. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Idiot. Go play somewhere else kid, we're busy.

19. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Again! Pure ignorance of the situation and the club!

20. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    I can't buy Viera wants to return to Highbury becos he 'misses it' - rejecting Real he declared his love for Arsenal who declared their love for Baptiste! Jilted.

Viera's mentions to someone that After 9 yrs somewhere yer gonna miss it. Somehow... :cool:

21. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Home is where the heart is...there's some pretty deep cultural differences between England (or, L'Highbury) and Italy and it's not inconceivable that Vieira is not happy at Juventus. That being said, I doubt his life is hell either..

22. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a player, it would be nice to have him back, we should have held on to him for this year. That said, there is no way the board would take him back, not with the contract that Juve signed him to.

23. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    It would be worth having him back if only to hear the following conversation:

Thierry: Patrick! You're back! What happened?
    Vieira: Thierry - you just don't know what you've got until you lose it. Take my word for it, Arsenal may now be the best team in the world but they are the best club to play for.
    Thierry: But Juve are a great club!
    Vieira: Yes - but in Italy you have to play at grounds where they make monkey noises, and people like Di Canio make fascist salutes to the fans.
    Thierry: Yes, I've heard it's like that - the same things happen in Spain - Aragones called be a "black ********"!
    Vieira:Click your heels and say "There's no place like home! There's no place like home"
    Thierry: "There's no place like home! There's no place like home"

24. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Some years since I read fever pitch,enlighten me.

25. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Brady left Arsenal for Juve, and then bounced around to four different clubs in eight years. Every time he was on the verge of moving, the tabloids were full of stories claiming Arsenal were going to resign Brady.