Vieira / Man. Utd. surfaces again

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jeff L, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am not quite sure why, either by way of timing, or indeed by way of realisation, but PV4 has apparently been quoted as saying that he does not rule out the possibility of a move to Man. U. He states, "Players have moved between Arsenal/Sperzzz; Roma/Lazio, Real Madrid/Barcelona. I'm not saying I will, but I'm not saying I won't".
    I cannot quite get to grips with this at this particular time, particularly after just signing a new contract, being established as captain, and with Arsenal sitting top of the EPL and the "C/L" campaign starting this coming week.
    Anyone else got any thoughts on this logic?

2. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    The last five years, during International breaks and through the close season, these stories appear constantly. Vieira is aked the same questions and giver the same answers "In football you never know", "I will be staying at Arsenal as long as they want me", and "I am happy and comfortable here, why would I want to leave"...check the stories back to 99, these appear almost WORD-FOR-WORD in each of these stories. Yes Vieira probably said it-this is his answer every time he is asked, no doubt embellished a bit by the reporters. After all he has said repeatedly he will not play for another English team. As for any take on this...ManUre are desperate to look like the biggest club in England not just on the pitch but on the stock market and this is aimed not at us right now, but at CHELSEA. That is the MAIN reason I think they would want him now I suspect oddly enough, to re-establish their reputation, not to re-establish their mid-field.Maybe that's why Vieira was asked a question he answered the same way he has the last FIVE years and they knew he'd answer that way. No real story here. Worry in May...after we've won AT LEAST ANOTHER DOUBLE...and maybe THE TREBLE!

3. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    I'm not an expert on the English press or anything (I'm limited to 3 months spent there in '98), but good goddamn do they ever have the ability to make a story out of absolutely nothing.

All PV4 said was that someday in the future, who knows? To me, that's not a story. If Money U offered us 40 million for him tomorrow, then THAT is a story.

4. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put. This is exactly what I had to say. Minus the 3 months in '98.

Rien mais le Treble!

OPArsenal