Vieira gone this time?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Jul 9, 2005.

1. justanothergooner

justanothergooner New Member

May 25, 2005
    Iowa, USA
    This is amazing. I can't say I'm happy about it but I understand. I'm hoping that we get someone like Essien, someone young and hungry.

2. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Like others have said, I'll wait until I see Vieira putting on a Juve shirt before jumping to any conclusions on this. I don't trust "unnamed sources" in any of the European papers, so I'll hold off on panicking over this until it's done.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    anybody have Paddy's career stats? broken up by year? i'd like to see what they were before he joined Arsenal

4. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    The only problem is a lot of those better performances came early in the year against teams our reserves could have gotten results and even wins against or certainly not been blown away.

The one performance in a "big' match where our midfielders really stepped us was against Chelsea and as well as Cesc and Flamini performed did they really boss the mid-field or simply not get overwhelmed by the occasion or opposition?

I just think a lot of people underestimate Vieira's importance in this team and we will lose ground before we gain any, and veteran players have to be very uncertain our direction or ambition at least right now if these reports are true...

5. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really agree with this in general BUT, if any paper in Italy is credible, it is Gazzetta Dello Sport. I hope it is not true because I think it would be a terrible mistake and really bring into question the desire of the club to compete at the top level.

6. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    Well said. It's almost comical that we are once again left to ponder what Paddy the Great Loyal Arsenal captain will do during summer vacation. Honestly, I'm all for players wanting to try their luck abroad, blah blah. That's not the real issue for me. It is the way he goes about things which says a lot about his character.

I'd also be really disappointed with the Arsenal management if they let this happen, simply because we don't have adequate back-ups for either the position or the captaincy.

Simply put, this would suck. Not end of the world kinda suckiness, but still enough to cause some damage to the club. Bah, off-season sucks.

7. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Okay there seems to be a momentum building behind this rumour which bears out why I started this thread in the 1st place; namely that the club didn't rubbish the whole thing from the start! I'd be V. suprised if PV4 isn't gone before the end of next week?

I hope this is not another Gunners gamble, with GS back to fitness and no one new coming in? Still, it has to be said that Cesc and Flamini partnered Gilberto at the start of last term, when Paddy was out, and it was our most successful early season ever? We talk about who might be coming in but perhaps with the experienced gained in 04/05 our youngsters will cope???????????

I will be sad to see Paddy go, but, also pleased if we only had the prospect of more of last year to look forward to? One thing has to be said though - STOP ALL THE CARPING ABOUT LOSING OUR CAPTAIN! Unless I'm hugely mistaken, most of the regulars to this board have previously agreed that PV4 just hasn't been that great a leader; lets face it TA was a hard act to follow! Lament the loss of a wonderful player and a great servant to the club, but, spare me the death bed eulogies about his leadership qualities; cos I don't buy it!

Wenger has said there could be 2 more signings and I'm betting a keeper and forward; or flogging a dead horse and not letting sleeping dogs lie; DB7 and a keeper? Either way I don't think we'll see a defensive mid signing. AW could stick with what he's got or, as suggested, bring Kolo into the middle?

And Canon, I'm 100% with you, if it's still all about the purse strings we're in big do do! I'm also with you on the CB's but I'm not a Cygan basher. He's not the world's best, but, I think he's a perfectly decent back up, and the best we're gonna get in the non-starter dept? Broadly, I thought he had a decent season and took a lot of the grief for a period when the whole team needed to take a long hard look?

8. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I just like the guy. That is why I do not want him to leave.

None of us can say now if it will be good or bad until we start the season.

How much $ do we have to spend now? 50M?

9. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall stealing your password.

10. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Sadly that is my worry and has been sometime. I am not sure there is not a battle within the club between money men and football men, the former primarily or solely concerned with profits, the latter seeking success on the pitch along with profits.... I hope I'm wrong...

11. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    not a bad post.. I agree with all your points, but to be a pain in the ass I'll point out that PV4 has won more trophies than any arsenal captain since the Henry Chapman days. And isn't that what it's all about? (My sincerest apologies to the Hokie Pokie.)

12. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Slight correction: the Arsenal TEAM has won more trophies with Vieira as captain than any since Chapman. As important as a captain is, it takes all the players working together to achieve success. We've survived losing players in the past and, if Vieira leaves, we'll survive that as well.

13. reasoner

reasoner BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm sure many Arsenal fans won't hear this especially coming from a neutral but, I seriously think Vieira's departure will certainly improve the team even base on no more addtional player/s hereon.

Finally, I think Wenger has corrected his one and only glaring mistake in my opinion. Now, he can appoint a new captain once Vieira's gone.

Great news for Arsenal!

see link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4678387.stm for added opinion

14. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Stirring things up during the football off-season has got to be the easiest writing gig in the world. How do I get into that? Maybe I should start making tea at the BBC...

15. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    You know what my thoughts on Vieira are at this point? I think he will do so well at Juve, but only because his hunger would be back.

I know he had injuries last season, but ever since, especially, the Real Madrid saga of last season, - and since Gilberto came back things were nice in the team again, I know- but he seemed to lose his fire/heart for the team and I don't see it coming back, I just don't, I see him continuing to "lag" through the team until he left.

Enter, Juve.

What can you do.

Fortunantly for me, Juve is my other favorite team! (Don't be jealous, Marseille's the French team I follow, a painful balance, I know... :( )

16. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Another "slight" correction...
    With Viera as captain, we've won 5 trophies: 2 Charity/Community Shields, 2 FA Cups, and 1 League title.

When Adams was captain we won 11 trophies including: 4 League titles, 2 Community/Charity Shields, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup, and 1 European Cup Winners Cup.

17. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Son of a...!

Whereas I, unfortunately, got PV4 on my jersey, which just came today. Collector's item or a billboard that screams "this guy's an idiot!"? :mad:

18. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Re: Son of a...!

...maybe you could get a "?" put on it then it's ironic ain't it ?

You're just showing you're above all that...

19. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now Juve are saying it's a done deal and going down, perhaps, even as I type this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4670829.stm

Maybe up to 18 million GBP per the BBC, or 15 per Soccernet. I can understand it, but I think we will need to make some moves if we really are an ambitious club.

Oh, well... Nothing on Arsenal.com yet.

Edit: Forget that. We are an ambitious club, and I have faith in Arsene.

20. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is the French Clique at Arsenal crumbling?

PV to be sold? Your captain at his peak (only 29) that is a big loss for your club no matter how you try to spin it.

Could you imagine Man U selling Roy Keane 5 years ago eh?

21. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Re: Is the French Clique at Arsenal crumbling?

Bridge, i always respect your opinion mate.. but why copy and paste clanblue's post? thats tired.

psst.. manyoo prolly shud ov.

22. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And The Guardian has it at 9.6 mil GBP. :eek:

23. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is true than you have to believe that Wenger thinks Vieira is falling off a cliff in terms of performance and is about to suffer seasons full of injuries. Cut-rate prices for a strong high quality midfield captain less than 30yr old? :confused:

We'll just have to see what the really happens.

24. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    As I said before, I don't mind the fact that he is gone, provided that a) we get a proper amount of payoff from him and b) someone can take over his role. 10 million pound is disappointing, but it's better than nothing for a player that HAS BEEN PAST HIS PRIME FOR THE PAST FEW YEARS LIKE ROY KEANE. As for his replacement, his leaving paves the way for Hleb to play in the central midfield. Our defense in the central midfield will be weaker, but we will have more speed and creativity in that position, which isn't a bad thing. His lack of power might be a problem though against the likes of Makalene and Gerrard, hopefully it wouldn't be too big a problem. Cese is another option, but his time is still far away. If necessary, we can play Flamini too, he and Gliberto is not a good combination in terms of creativity, but it is not a bad one too. I actually want us to get a experienced central midfielder right now, someone like Ray Parlour as we might be short of cover for defensive midfielders if Gliberto gets injuried again. Too bad Scott Parker decided to flush his career down the toliet bowl :rolleyes: .

If Vieria left last season I would have been absolutely gutted, but with him leaving this season I actually do not mind too much. It is true that he has been a great player for us and him leaving is somewhat a lost. However, as I have said before and as many, many of you guys here disagree with he has lost his heart to play with us. I do not believe that he is irreplaceable, and now all we can do is to look forward to the future.

One thing though, could someone please tell me where he is going to play in Juve? They already have Nedved and Emerson, and they always play two strikers (Ibra and either Del Piero or Trez). Unless they decide to play a 3-5-2 formation (which doesn't sound like a good idea) or they decide to bench Emerson (a lot more likely) I do not see where he can play. I do believe that he, along with Edu, are going to fail like all the Arsenal players that left to play overseas (think Overmars, Petti and Mr Sulk..............)

25. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: Is the French Clique at Arsenal crumbling?

I wasn't aware that I did. :confused:

Its not really a unique point of view.

Fools seldom differ I guess. . .

Losing Viera may not be such a big deal for you. In the past you have lost Overmars, Petit, Anelka, Wiltord ;) without much detrimental effect.

However, I feel that the timing is not quite right for you to part with PV and that your present squad/team is not quite as settled as it should be.