Vieira gone this time?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, Patrick.....have you come down off the ledge for now?

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL.....the window is closed, but I am staring at the ledge from inside the room.

3. Edyboy

Edyboy BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 22, 2005
    London
    me too,Ballack has a greater passing range, scores from free kicks and is strong in the tackle. W/ Gilberto playing in front of the backfour....would be a good swap imho.

Besides...Vieira has pissed me off in the last 2 summers

4. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're wrong on this part. I've begun to seriously have doubts about the club's contract negotiation strategy. It seems to have caused us plenty of problems (Edu, Cole, Bergkamp, Pires, etc.) over the last year. A tougher stance now makes little sense. The club is one year away from a significant increase in profits. Many of the core Arsenal players are approaching their final or at least penultimate contracts at this highest level. Messing them about now seems like a certain way to gut the team of its experienced core and force loyal but not stupid players to leave. Bad idea if I've ever seen one.

The fact that we're moving to the new stadium in a year makes it even more important that this season is at least as successful as the team's "normal" performance under Wenger. That means a 1st or 2nd place in the EPL, a CL run that at least gets past the group stage, and a FA Cup final with the team bringing in at least one trophy from those three. Sure we'd all like it if Arsenal could win all of those but I'm talking about the level of performance that we'd expect for the season to not be considered as "poor" based on the high standard that Wenger has set. Forcing out key members of the team like Vieira or Pires this season certainly increases the odds of the club failing to meet that standard not to mention surpassing it. The only way that selling Vieira now could make sense is if Wenger feels that Paddy is on a fast slide down the performance curve or if we're offered such a sum (in funds or players) that we'd be stupid to not bite at that chance even if it increased the short term risk of a down season. I don't believe either of those conditions will be met.

5. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    First of all, Ballack is as old as Paddy. Kind of ruin the point of getting him.

Second of all I belive he has just signed a new contract.

Third, it would cost us more to buy him then to sell Paddy, and we would not get a substantial upgrade while losing our captain and money.

I expect Diarra (who was more important to Lyon then Essien) as our first choice. Some younger player will surely replace Paddy.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I turned down quite a bit of overtime so that I could spend more time with you guys.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about your lose-lose situations...

:p

8. rifkin

rifkin Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe AW plans to put Toure in Paddy's spot if he sells.

9. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes he's old and out of our price range... he also happens to be argueably one of the top five midfielders in the world. He'd be an asset for any team.

10. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Excellent point and something I thought about a while back! I'd be curious to see how he'd hold down this role, but, I'd be nervous if all eggs were in this basket?

Cannon I think you make good points but I don't agree with them! :) The simple fact is, we've seen enormously talented players leave, during AW's time, and the wheels didn't drop off. AG does make a big difference cos the cash has dried up, but, AW has never been a big spender! After Overmars left he brought in Pires for £6m? There will be life after PV4 or RP7 or even TH14 and now that AG is here probably after AW as well?

Perhaps AW might not go for a like for like replacement; maybe he'll tinker and experiment with 5 3 2 or 5 4 1? I know that it isn't everyones' cup of tea but we've got 3 decent CB's and it would allow Ralph and Ash to get forward more and would allow Hleb, Freddie or Cesc to have a floating role? Then you'd have a front 5 combo from GS19, CF15, AH?, MF16, FL8, RP7(?), RVP11, JAR9, DB10 and TH14?

Alternatively, AW might not buy anyone, although I doubt it. Flamini has the whole 'Rayzer meets Petit' thing going on. If he continues improving like last year, a Flamini - Gilberto combo wouldn't look too bad; and the same thing very definitely goes for Cesc?

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you missed my point actually. I have no problem with Wenger selling Vieira if he doesn't think that Vieira will be a key player for us going forward, AW has decent replacements in mind, and/or gets offered a sum simply too good to be turned down. Those possibilities are quite different than losing players because you are taking a very hard line in contract negotiations. My point is that the club is a year out from a new stadium and almost certain record profits. It is simply unrealistic for the board to plan on not sharing (through higher wages in new contracts) some of these profits with the players. I agree that we'd survive Vieira leaving. I am just questioning whether such a move would be made based on on-the-field issues or part of a desire on the board's part to hold on to a wage structure that doesn't reflect the extra 20m or more in profits that the club will be getting starting next season. Recent events would seem to suggest that the board might be falling into something of a penny-wise, pound-foolish situation.

I like the idea of Wenger trying to introduce a little formation flexibility (hopefully better than what we saw in the FA Cup final though) but if we did move to a 3CB formation than we'd quickly be facing a depth problem at that position. Having Cygan as your first backup is a bad idea. See last season.

12. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
  13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When will this agony end? I'm pullin my hair out over here in the Windy City....er, no wait...I'm bald. Strike that....well you know what I mean.

14. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say that it looks like you're too late, but you beat me to the punch!!! :D

This saga is sounding more and more like the RM story last year. It was a done deal and all wrapped up according to the media. However, I think there is more of a chance of it coming true this year. Just have to wait and send Patrick some Rogaine! ;) :D

15. mobjack

mobjack Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope he stays. Right now there's a good chemistry, to have him leave may cause a serious imbalance on and off the field. To have the captain leave is not good for any team. The way our side is now, with him as captain, I think the double is a realistic expectation.

16. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
  17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
  18. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    It's even being reported on Italian TV from what I read.

19. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the article, as translated by BabelFish:

The Arsenal has said yes to the cession of the French centrocampista. It is spoken about a transaction give approximately 15 million euro. To hours the ufficializzazione of the negotiation is attended

MILAN, 13 July 2005 - Patrick Vieira is of the Juventus. The company lacks only, but there is the agreement for the passage in bianconero of the centrocampista ventinovenne of the Arsenal, than you concern managing bianconeri to us to the suit have gone to dealing today in the evening to London. According to sources near the two societies, the Juventus would disburse for the player approximately 15 million euro, pleasing therefore the Arsenal that asked the payment cash, sum that the Juventus counts to damp with the sale of Tudor, Maresca, Miccoli and probably Tacchinardi. Vieira will have a quinquennial contract and will half perceive one equal sum to two million and of euro to season. Tomorrow the ufficializzazione of the negotiation would have to happen.
    Vieira was the main objective of market of the Juventus. More than Cassano. 29enne the powerful director joins quality and amount, has physical force to sell, insomma would be the ideal partner, to centrocampo, for Emerson.
    After nine seasons of successes (but only in England, the Champions is remained a chimera) with the Arsenal Vieira wanted fuggevolmente to return in series To, stage trod in season 1995-96 with the mesh of the Milan (two presences). The rossoneri had it uncovered, but, considering it then sour and potendogli not to guarantee employment continuity, they will sell it Oltremanica. And in City in Premier League (and with the national French), Vieira had been devoted like one of the stronger centrocampisti of the world. For power, technical thoroughness and personality. Therefore the Moor of Dakar (is been born in Senegal the 23 june of 1976) returns in the Belpaese, and he has explained it to clear letters to the Gunners. Beautiful London, splendid the experience to Highbury, but the future is Turin: lì it wants to try to conquer the Champions League after many disappointments suffered in mesh biancorossa.
    Vieira in bianconero would find again (continues to use conditions them) Trezeguet, with which with the Bleus it has conquered European and a World-wide one. Trezegol yesterday has public invocato the national, probable arrival of the campagno of has made it, to greater reason, in private.

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    huh... wonder what that means for hleb's future?? is this move for diarra legit?
    will be weird w/out paddy in the midfield..

21. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. GoonerMan

GoonerMan New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Essex,England
    what is all this talk of diarra, he is going nowhere he has just signed a new contract, hype down please

23. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm holding off until Arsenal.com reports the move.

24. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    Diarra has just signed a new contract with Lyon. I doubt we could get him now.

If he has gone. I'll be relieved.

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope this is some sort of cruel joke. I'm lowering my head in sorrow.
    Gonna open up an Italian bottle of Merlot and make some pasta with Vodka Marinara....in honor of Patrick Vieira.

Forgive me, if I go and sob for a wee bit.