Vieira gone this time?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Then why doesn't he come out in the press to rubbish the rumours?

2. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Our chairman has said in a direct quote in the papers( and the only direct quotes suggest that Vieira ins't leaving btw) that he is happy at Arsenal.FFS.

Now if the chairman of the club doesn't know when the club captain is about to leave, there is something wrong. If Arsenal players have to issue a denial every time the papers say they're leaving, they'd have no time for practise. Look at the number of times Henry has said he's staying, the papers still say he's a target for this or that club.

The papers will never let the facts get in the way of a tired, boring, rehashed copied story...

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So does that mean Vieira shouldn't even bother? Henry came out and said it. While the hacks and rumours might continue, at least it sends a signal to the Arsenal fans around the world.

4. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Well, he stated at the beginning of the season and at the end that he was staying , and that's good enough for me, an Arsenal fan, talking to a Manu fan...

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is that why this is now the top Arsenal story that is being debated?

6. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

I think it's got something to do with you wittering on about it, like some senile old git and the blitz...

...give it a rest

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is that why this thread was created by an Arsenal fan?

I'll leave you with what I posted in the transfer thread, then I'm heading out to work:

The fact that you appear to be getting so upset over a "rumour" really highlights my point. They only thing that needs to happen is for Vieira to act like a captain and try to put an end to all of this. Like I said in the other thread, his apathetic approach is the thing that has allowed the rumours to continue, Arsenal fans to debate and the situation to be "stirred".

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Exactly... one round of abuse would be enough for me.

I dont think PV has helped his asking price with his lacklustre play of the last two years, and the continuing transfer sagas that link him to most big clubs.

btw I agree with Yossarian jatm... Paris sucks? What are you smoking? And wait... you like in Arkansas? Oh the irony...

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please.....did you actually read the first post? Marty is debating whether now would be a good time to sell Vieira based on his age, etc. His post had little to nothing to do with Vieira not quelling tabloid rumours.

10. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Feel free to put in lots of overtime...

11. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Yeah! Wot he said!!! And, in my most puffed up superior deep voice, what is more young man, it would appear that any action, if there be such, other press shennanigans, has been initiated by the club not the player? So, that being said, wot, I repeat, wot difference would a denial by Paddy make? The press are saying that it's AFC who've have had talks with Juve not Paddy! Jes!!! :D

If there is anything behind this it's down to his age, contract length and diminishing value? And yes Teso, Paddy's poor early season could well be why the club feel the need to consider these factors.

Personally, I'd be happy for Paddy to stay if he can consistantly perform how he did at the end of the campaign? For me being club captain increases my desire to off load him! You don't want a captain who is not 100% committed to the cause, or even that people doubt his committment. You also don't want a captain who continually undermines preseason with all the transfer uncertainty and, finally, you want a captain who is able to inspire and lead the line and that hasn't really been Paddy?

12. making tea atthe BBC

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    I love Vierra but I really think that ACole's comments are right on re. team spirit and now I feel thar PV4 is now just an ordinary player. PV4 will play til he is 33 in Italy (maybe spain) since no one really challanges for the ball in Italy!

the only thing is do we sign Ballack or Diarra or someone else thAt AW likes and again I trust Arsene so therefore I agree to sign ANYONE AW wants

13. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    What comments by AC3 ? Are these the ones that were actually from our friend Peter Kenyon ??

Given that Hill-Woods comments talk about a board meeting next week to discuss the interest from Juventus, it's obvious that the board have not discussed the sale of Vieira, or that it's a rush job...

14. Grand_Rapids_Gunner

Apr 26, 2005
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    So Miles, are these the comments that you originally refered to? Funny how you didn't state then that your friend Peter admits the interest and says he doesn't have a clue about what they are going to do and what Vieira wants? ;)

16. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Well, as I was saying above, read what our chairman is saying. They haven't discussed selling PV4. It's not a priority, and they have informed PV4 of Juventus' interest, which is the right and proper. In no way does it mean that Wenger wants to sell PV4, or that PV4 wants to leave.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....in fact, he added that he was fairly certain they would NOT want to sell Vieira.

18. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    It actually makes it less likely that Vieira will be sold. If AW was considering it, then they need a replacement. This means that there would a large sum of money (10mill+) going out of the club, and possibly an equally large sum coming in. Surely if this was going to happen it would have already been discussed at boardroom level, and Hill Wood would know a bit more. :p

19. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're nuts if they sell PV4. His leadership and command of the midfield is necessary.

20. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    This would be a big mistake if true, but you can't blame arsenal for at least listening.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Amen. I swear this is torture. My high school students don't play this many head games.

22. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    AW is a student of statistics. He will have gone through PV4's OPTA with a fine tooth comb to weigh up his performance last term. If the stats don't add up he will consider a replacement, even if he's not 100% ready to see him leave.

Hill-Wood would only go public like this if they've already gotten someone like Ballack lined up. This is not a typical AFC response to an approach. My best guess is that the AC3 fiasco has made the club play a bit more hard ball over contract negs. It could be that they're basically telling Paddy to accept a contract extension now, on reasonable terms, or shag off back to Italy! This is an important year for the club. Not only do they want a tide of success to carry them into AG, I'm sure they also want to leave Highbury on a high? We'll be a different club next year, and I don't just mean whose on the playing staff, now is the time for major players not committed to the cause to move on. If Paddy stays this year it's probably for life; so he'd better know exactly where his heart is?

The more I think about it, the smarter this move seems to be. If Paddy stays, then it might just be the kick up the a-hole he needs to get back to his best. If he wants to go, then we're better off without him! 'Guns of Navarone' time init? :D

23. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    work called...they want you there right now for the rest of the month.

24. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    That's kind of my take. In the past, it has always seemed like the "offers" came, but management always denied that PV4 was for sale or going anywhere.

This is the first time over the last couple of years that I remember a statement, that while clearly says Arsenal would like to keep Vieira, they will take him the offer.

Last year, with the whole Real Madrid thing, the Spanish papers were reporting it as a done deal, while Arsenal consistently said he wasn't for sale. (At least that's how I want to remember it.

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Excellent points. AW is a very smart manager and trust his judgement. I have a feeling that he is going to shock everyone and make Gooners happy too.
    I would take Ballack in a heartbeat.