Video Ref???

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Johnny_Blaze, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Johnny_Blaze

Johnny_Blaze New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Canada
    I came across an article this morning...

http://www.football365.com/You_Say_We_say/MailBox/story_81769.shtml

about using video replay for dives, offsides and goals. I do beleive that diving is becoming a serious issue, see Pires Sept, 13th 2003. But I do not want to see the game Americanized, I love the flow of the game as is, and I feel that if video replay is used, it will take away that flow. What is your opinion.
    Peace

2. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think it should be used, but not for every little foul that is called.

Definitely to check if the ball has passed the goal line or not, you don't even have to stop the flow of the game, you can just keep on playing if there's doubt, and then the 4th man on the sidelines (who does absolutely NOTHING at the moment) who's watching the video could let the ref know if he should stop the game because the team scored or not.

Actually the same could be done for offsides, just play on if there's doubt (doesn't disrupt the flow of the game) and the guy on the sidelines will decide after a second or 2 if the game should be stopped because the player was offside or not.

3. Pokeden

Pokeden New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    That is why they have 3 active officials and 1 observant official! Who by the way IS doing something. Have you ever worked as 4th AR?

RE:eek:ffside: will the video be able to tell if the person was offside at the time the ball was played?

RE:replay: this is obsurd. There would be NO flow of game. In some cases, the whistle blows too much already.

RE:diving: yes it is getting out of hand. It is up to the Ref to enforce the rules regarding this.

RE:viewing this video and indicating stoppage or not:by the time it takes to do this and signal stoppage, a goal could be scored. Then what, call it back?

IMO
    NO to video replay.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Should be at the end of list...

If you want to innovate the refs, there's other things that should be tried first. I like the aerosol marking cans that the Brazilian refs use to set up the wall for free kicks. Cuts down on most of the encroachment crap that rampant in many leagues. And I've noticed that some French refs are using wireless communication headsets between the AR's and the CR. Those are examples of innovations which speed up the game rather than slow it down. Once you start using video replay, then it's hard to draw the line what should be reviewed and what shouldn't and pretty soon you'd have every bad foul, every ofside call, and every goal.

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It should be used for offsides and goals only. The amount of mistakes made in this area is tremendous. Why? Amateurish linesmen. Which reminds me... if a ref consults his linesman about a possible red he should check up with video as well. How many unjustified red cards have been handed out thanks to a mongoloid linesman who feels his time to shine is finally there?

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't need to have been the ref sitting on the sidelines, to see that he's just sitting there most of the game doing absolutely nothing.

Oh wait, no he gets up when a player gets substituted, and to let the people know how much extra time the game will get. That would take about what, 5 minutes of every game at most?

Unless you want to count the oh so important task of telling the coaches they aren't allowed to go past the area which is meant for them. You could probably add about 10 more minutes of working time then. :D

Video replays work fast, like we saw at the WC when a replay of whatever foul or offside, got on our screen a second or 2 after it happened. It wouldn't hurt the flow of the game at all, even moreso when you take into account that the linesmen over here have had orders from their superiors to think about a possible offside for a few seconds before deciding to raise the flag or not: it would take the same amount of time for the 4th man to check the video replay, which would give the one and only correct answer and not just a guess.

7. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Hmmm, seems to me it took about 3 days in a WC for Esse B's correct call to be validated. But if that's fast enough for you, so be it.

I can see some form of technology to determine if a ball has completely crossed the goal line. But that's about it. Even offside video replays would be suspect. You'd have to have a camera at the exact sideline position to see the offside "restraining line" (2LD or ball) and probably a second camera to see when the ball was last touched by a teammate.

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The video replays came on so fast after the incident itself, that the referees asked FIFA to stop the big screens in the stadiums from showing the replays of the fouls or offsides, because with the wrong call the players would point at the screen to show the ref he was indeed wrong, and that hurt their 'credibility'. :D

FIFA of course stepped in to do just that.

The camera angles they already use have pretty much always been good enough to determine if a player was offside or not in the replay, don't need 2 extra ones.

9. GiggsNewWzrdOfHgwrts

May 9, 2003
    Chicago
    ha that's interesting

Ha that's interesting that FIFA didn't want them showing replays in the stadium immediately after the play. Yes the Korea-Japan WC replays were up immediately after the play (dang that was a great world cup). Do we want to see a superimposed yellow line on the field like in american football?

10. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    After the non-goal in the Everton match over the weekend, I'd like to see either a video goal judge or perhaps a fourth official on the end line on the left side.

You're either going to have four ARs or two referees.

Personally, I'll take NBA basketball and a three-referee system with two ARs.

It's not as though there is a shortage of referees anywhere in the world.

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There is here.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Oh, sure. Plenty of field hockey umpires, though. All you gotta do is reeducate them about obstruction and some "legal" holding and jockeying, and there'll be enough top-class Eredivisie refs!

13. steve hog

steve hog Red Card

Sep 21, 2003
    miami
    I think that the idea of having a video ref is a poor one. Contentious, close decisions are one of the most exciting aspects of the game, and are often at the heart of many of the greatest matches. If we lose that, then we lose a lot. Keep it as it is!!

14. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Problem is that a lot of amateur level refs are calling quits because of increasing violence. And there's not a lot of new ones coming in.

And on professional level refs are quite safe in Holland, but they get a lot of verbal abuse. And I can imagine that if you get this week in week out you'd rather go and collect postal stamps.