video of training sessions

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Mar 23, 2018.

1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is something I want to do—any ideas on how to do it? Tripod and camera?

2. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah--tripod and camera is how I've seen it done. The one I saw had a remote that he could use to start/stop the camera

3. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I recruited kids to record our games last year - camera and tripod. I've since seen a recommendation to get the highest location and widest angle possible so you can see as much of the field at a time as you can. Some of the options get kinda expensive and almost crazy - think 20' tall seats something akin to a lifeguard tower but taller.

For this year I have picked up a GoPro Hero 5 Black which has a superwide view and I'll be using a tripod. I'll be interested to see how it works. The down side of just a tripod is that kids on the far side can get blocked from your view by kids on the near side, but without significant investment that's the best you can do.

4. McGilicudy United

Dec 21, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Had to record both a video session and meeting for my C course. I just used an iphone. Recorded the session from a bleacher, recorder the audio from one in my pocket with a earbud/mic. Patched them together later on. It worked surprisingly well. I would imagine you could do the same with the go pro, then add the audio later on.

5. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Guys, guys.. tripod is way too short to see what is going on.. I did the my pole from fishing rods..8 meters high :) U need 3 rods, one is too thin and u have to take highest part off.. good luck ! U really can see the hole picture ;)

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  6. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
  7. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Fishing rods 30 feet are about 6 euros piece, so that price is way much lower.. :) 18 euros all 3. Some skill to mount go pro top of those.. If wether is bad, that pole what is behind Peters link won't hold on.. Water tanks will do great. Easy to fill and empty.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I liked the Sami's fishing pole idea, but couldn't find a source on line for anything over 12 feet.

9. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    We have those poles in a cheap stuff selling stores (markets), I found my poles from there. If u draw soccerfield 1/10 and that rod 3 meters or 8 meters u see that difference. Problem was when I record those games, that u could not see other side on field, with those few meter poles. U loose that depth sight.. That high pole really works well.. Hmm.. I try to put one video on youtube, where one of our adults game is recorded with go pro and that 8 meter high pole. I put link here after I have done that.
    If u use that high pole only half field, how children are playing, u can get really good view. I have two 20 liter canister filled with water. Some "rope" to and ductape (?) to connect poles together (more stabile) and some "rope" to connect poles to canisters tight. That high kick those few meter poles easily !

10. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    One problem is a wind.. When pole is so high, wind is moving it and the camera. Those 3 poles tight together help a little bit, but still picture is like drunken dude view :). One pole is way too thin and it is sailing even with go pro on top of it :) I am developing that pole, how to "tight" them together. That plastic wrap is quite good when u have to put that pole up and take it down so often. That plastic wrap let those poles move a little, so it is not the best solution when weather is windy. Last summer I made wooden parts, where are holes for every pole and they are different high on that spar. Haven't try those yet, winter came.. Now spring is on and I can go on with my project. I was thinking to do some videos of mental side of the game on youtube.. lets see, so many projects going on and so few hours on a day :D

11. Sami Paakkanen

Mar 4, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Here is that video. Camera position is little wrong, but there was no space behind goal.

-Sami

12. Malabranca

Malabranca Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Been looking into recording options for games and thought I would resurrect this thread with this link:

https://traceup.com/

Might be overkill, but the pricing sort of works.

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019