Video of a female rec player...

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by Prowler, May 5, 2008.

1. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Hello, first post...

What do you guys think?

She is 16 and this is in the Oklahoma Rec State Cup Tourney.

Robbie

2. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Why is she playing rec? She looks like she is pretty good but the opponents are very low level a simple cut and they are done. She needs to play competitive if she wants to really get looked at.

3. ringer?

We don't have tournaments(or tournaments with divisions) for rec teams older than U8 or U9. Are rec teams allowed guests? what are the qualifications for a rec team? no carded players?

4. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    Travelmom,

Many State Associations have tournaments for recreational players. Quite a large group of these State Associations have a tiered State Cup. The top level is for teams going on in the USYS National Championship Series. There are lower levels for lower level competitive (think town teams) and still lower levels for recreational play.

Oklahoma, where the original poster is from, has this system. The highest level that advances to Regionals is State Cup. The next level is called the President's Cup and the third level for recreational teams is called the Governor's Cup. See, http://www.oksoccer.com/tournaments/PresidentsCup2005/index_E.html

The is a wide difference across the country between the rules and customs of various States that have grown up as a result of differences in demand, population density, competing organizations (such as AYSO) and culture. For example, most of the Northeast has a strong town soccer program that is largely absent across the rest of the country except for a few States like Minnesota. Some States have almost no rules on recruiting, while others are very restrictive. Some States allow "Rec Plus" and Academies, others do not allow either.

Prowler has been told on other forums the need to get his daughter in a more challenging environment. His problem is distance. He is in a town that is a long drive from the closest strong clubs. He and his daughter have to decide if the drive is worth the cost, which will in turn be based in large measure on the future, i.e., college, that his daughter desires.

5. PERFDBDAN,

now there is a bunch of info to better explain the video.

their rec are no different than our lowest flights.

must be frustrating, i can take my daughter to at least 20 different clubs w/in 1/2 hour drive. 1/2 of the state and part of PA w/in an hour.

of course i'd bet traffic for prowler is two cars passing his house.;)

6. Berean Todd

Berean Todd New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, she definately needs to be in a select team from the look of it. Texas has a similar set up, and we stopped playing select after one season at U11. But I coached a rec team where half of my squad was former select players, and several others were good enough to play select.

However, after 2 years of that, going into U14s this past year we went back to select, because he needed the better competition and stronger/longer coaching. We haven't been disapointed, because as he prepares himself to hopefully go to college (well, definately go, but hopefully on scholarship) it is what he needs.

7. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I knew that some folks on here would already know my situation. We are having a hard time figuring out a way to make it work for her to play club soccer. Some of these rec teams at U16 are loaded with former club players. This usually happens when the player is burned out or the money runs out, etc. But for whatever reason, it is happening. I am sure this in turn opens up some spots on club teams too. On the link that was provided, if you check the results, she plays for Union Orange Crush. The saturday games were losses, losing the first match 3-1 in a much closer game than the scoreline shows. Then we got pounded 3-0 by a very good Edmond team. Much of the issue was lack of communication by our team. I thot we matched up good with them, just didnt play to our abilities. Soccer math never adds up as we beat a team that tied them, go figure. We started off sunday the same way (vs red team in video), goin down by 2 goals then mounting a comeback to get the tie and had several chances to win. I feel the competition was pretty even, if you see how many of the games were ties in that division, it was a close group of teams. Just 1 off game and you are behind.

8. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Prowler, you've probably mentioned before just how far she'd have to travel to a good club, but could you mention it again? An hour or more commute is not considered outrageous here in Mass for those who really want the opportunity to improve. The biggest issue would be making sure that after that hour commute you have a club and coach committed to helping your daughter improve. If you are concerned about the cost of club soccer, the travel part can make it expensive. In that case, perhaps you can just get her involved as a practice player who would be available to guest on occasion.

9. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Im sure you know, but Edmond has a good select team/club. Not sure how far from Edmund you live??

Good Luck

10. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Bird - An hour is about what it would be to play club. We have started to explore the options. We are in no way able to afford what it takes to play club. She is going to go to a few tryouts this summer and she where she stands. She may just have to be a good rec/hs player...

RegionII - We are about 3 hours from Edmond. We played the top rec team from Edmond last weekend. I think we could have hung with them better than the scoreline shows, but the girls just couldnt get "connected" that game. We had our chances tho. I am about an hour from Tulsa. She actually plays for a rec team out of Tulsa now. ( I replied to your PM also, thanks)

Robbie

11. Berean Todd

Berean Todd New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prowler - I can't speak to your financial/time situation as to being able to afford it, but as someone who was in the same situation I can't recomend enough finding a way to do it, if this is truly your daughter's dream.

My son was the standout, select level player in a rec team, which did well and went to tournaments. My wife and I are living check to check we are not wealthy by any means. But we found a way to get my son into a good, top select team, and his game has grown SO much in the last year. I really regret not having done this sooner. I truly believe if we had done this sooner he would probably be ODP now; oh he still has 4 years of high school and may yet earn himself a scholarship, but the level of training and competition that he is getting now is what is needed to really progress.

I recomend that you try to find a way. Now if this is just something for fun for your daughter maybe it's not worth the sacrifice. But if, like my oldest, she eats breathes and sleeps soccer, if college play is her dream, if she really truly loves the game, then you really need to try to find a way. Some clubs do offer scholarships to those who really need them, too.

12. 5x300games

5x300games New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    SE Wisconsin
    Forget it. Your kid will never amount to anything. If your kid isn't affiliated with a select team as a U3, she won't have a chance.
    Of course, I am joking. Due to politics with our local select club, I was forced to put my daughter in rec soccer. A few years ago on this very forum, I was inquiring about developmental opportunities for my daughter through ODP. I was ridiculed by one of the very posters who has curiously responded positively to you. It is good to see this person encourage you to find developmental opportunities for your kid, and not ridicule you as he did me.

One bit of advice: Do NOT consider co-ed rec play as a way for your daughter to play better competition. One of my daughter's rec teammates was also a great rec player who got screwed over trying out for the local select team. To keep playing at a competitive level, she played co-ed rec soccer. She ended up tearing knee ligaments from a vicious slide tackle administered by a male defender she beat badly for a goal earlier in the game. She doesn't play soccer anymore...

Best of luck to you and your daughter. Find her developmental opportunities if she wants to pursue them.

13. BOrr

BOrr New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Did I miss the link?

14. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    After watching the links posted above, I have to ask, where is the competition at?? Sure, she is a good player, but lets see her play with and against players with the same caliber or above. There is a different type of game out there that is being played besides what you have filmed. This isnt a knock on your dd, its just that these players she is playing with and against are making her look real good.

15. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Yea, thats what Ive been told and what we have found to be true. She has been to a few training sessions with an amatuer womens team and seen the game in a whole new way. The speed of play, the tight spaces, etc. She looked "decent" against them. She did make some good runs and wasnt horrible. She was well below the mark of the best players there. She came away with some good advice and critique on her game. She spent some time with Brandi Chastain and her brother Chad at a training session/scrimmage and Chad really helped her with her understanding of certain aspects of the game.

As far as getting her into a better situation with better competition, it just wont happen any time soon. Gas prices have all but stopped any extra travel and with our financial situation, it just isnt possible. I have decided to coach a team again locally, just so these girls have a place to play. All I can do is take the advice I get and try to relate that to the girls and see how they do...

Here are some pics of her with Brandi and Chad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Prowler

Prowler New Member

Feb 26, 2008