News: VIDEO: Landon Donovan's First BPL Goal

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccerFCUnited, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    This is actually true. But it skimmed off the bottom of the defender's foot and veered to the space between the keeper and the post. A little lucky, but if he hadn't been in the right position and if he wasn't confident with hitting hard shots with his left foot, it wouldn't have happened at all.

A goal is a goal.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where's that kid who was saying that LD ought to give the Bundesliga 2 a try since he (LD) apparently wasn't quite up for a bigger league?

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    That was a good goal. The best part was his intelligence to make that horizontal run off of Cahill to the left channel as the right mid. Took good anticipation, vision and pace to be in that spot. Trapped it away from defender and hit it hard with his weak foot.

But I agree that Landon is struggling to make himself available to get enough touches. Many reasons for that, some Landon, some the team. But despite that, he still had the goal, that second chance cleared off the line, that incredible run supporting Saha, some very nice passes, etc.

Eventually Neville will learn that Donovan can chase down a pass over the top and can jump on a pass into space and doesn't always need it at his feet. And Donovan will learn that Neville doesn't have that much skill and he's better off presenting for an easy pass a little more, and making those more dangerous runs a little less.

And from an English fan's perspective, don't underestimate how much Landon's work rate and defensive tracking is going to impress them. Nottingham Forrest fans were convinced Ben Olson had skill simply because he ran like a fool.

4. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Napoleon.

And I do admit I might have been a little harsh in overlooking his great positioning to receive the ball. I didn't mean to come off as belittling this achievement, but I also didn't think that some people were this touchy about a little criticism.

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I seem to remember a whole bevvy of haters saying that LD couldn't cut it in Europe.

I've give it, say, three more weeks of solid performances. THEN I start looking through old threads. Then I start serving open-faced Crow Sandwiches.

In the meantime, I take joy that Landon Donovan hate from non-Mexican fans is at an all-time low. Let the Landon love begin.

6. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Phil Neville is an idiot? Do you actually watch the game?

He is an awesome player and has experience to go with his class.

Heck even LD looks up to him after some of the things he's said about Neville. If you think Neville is an idiot then maybe you need to study the game a bit harder.

7. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I think after his experiences at Everton he's going to enter the world cup being the best player he's ever been.

This is the best opportunity he's ever had to improve his game with world class players/coaches and Moyes.

I for one am glad he's been able to cut it with such expectations on his shoulders and he genuinely seems a decent guy either that or he's wise enough to keep the English fans onside.

I hope he gets signed and stays in the league. It would be good to have at least one American player (other than Howard but he's a keeper so its a bit different) who we can say can compete with the best.

8. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Before his injury,Clint was competing, and then some (but the injury may exactly why you didn't mention him).

9. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Clint is interesting but won't ever be able to really compete and show what he's capable of unless he gets to play for a much better team.

10. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if u actually watched the game, you would see his crossing is poor, and decision making is suspect.

11. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nonsense, complete nonsense.

52 England caps, 78 European caps and Everton captaincy and he can't make decisions?

12. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's also 33 and not as good as he used to be

13. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Seems Donovan disagrees with you and Neville is actually at the height of his career and has never been better. Granted he's not as good as his brother but he is world class, something he's proven time and time again.

He is a great player and puts in good performances week-in-week-out, has the respect of his team and the fans.

I honestly have no idea why you'd think that or want to be rude to someone LD admires and is learning from.

14. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think Neville is a great leader and a good defender, but he's not a very inventive player. Not going to remind anyone of Cole, Toure, Sagna. I personally think that since Donovan isn't really a traditional wide midfielder and l likes to cut inside a lot leaving space out wide, a more adventurous fullback might take better advantage of the partnership with Donovan.

But that's no reason to criticize Phil Neville. He's a gamer and someone everyone wants out there because you know he will be in the right place at the key moment giving full effort.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually with you in battering down some of the mouthpieces on this forum, Cheese... but Neville is world class? That's an awfully inclusive term if it aptly applies to Phil Neville.

The goal wasn't great but it was a goal. It was a deflection by the defender, but it was a very good run and well hit shot, and a goal is a goal so although I'm late to the party I will say congrats to Donovan. I also hope that somehow he stays at Everton for the long haul, despite the fact that it's got to be an incredible longshot at this point.