Video Game Draft 2013: Voting and Comment

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by spejic, Oct 21, 2013.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ismitje:
    1. Mattel Electronics Football (1977)
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
    3. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
    4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)
    5. Minecraft (2011)
    6. Saints Row: The Third (2011)
    7. Asteroids (1979)
    8. LittleBigPlanet (2008)
    9. Kingdom Hearts (2002)
    0. Donkey Kong Country (1994)

Dante:
    1. Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (1987)
    2. Super Mario Bros. (1987)
    3. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
    4. Grand Theft Auto III (2001)
    5. Gears of War (2006)
    6. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)
    7. Dragon's Lair (1983)
    8. Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
    9. Ikaruga (2001)
    0. Root Beer Tapper (1983)

Norsk Troll:
    1. Championship Manager: Season 99/00 (1998)
    2. Civilization (1991)
    3. Rock Band (2007)
    4. Baldur's Gate (1998)
    5. Myst (1993)
    6. Assassin's Creed (2007)
    7. The Oregon Trail (1985)
    8. Minesweeper (1992)
    9. Silent Hunter III (2005)
    0. World of Tanks (2011)

Uppa 90:
    1. Pac-Man (1980)
    2. Bioshock (2008)
    3. Tetris (1985)
    4. SimCity (1989)
    5. Pong (1972)
    6. Goldeneye 007 (1997)
    7. Tecmo Super Bowl (1991)
    8. Wii Sports (2006)
    9. Braid (2008)
    0. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

General Disarray:
    1. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (1987)
    2. Tomb Raider (1996)
    3. WWF No Mercy-N64 (2000)
    4. Mortal Kombat (1992)
    5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
    6. Wolfenstein 3-D (1992)
    7. The Sims (2000)
    8. Contra (1988)
    9. Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
    0. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade Game (1990)

Ombak:
    1. World of Warcraft (2004)
    2. Space Invaders (1978)
    3. Prince of Persia (1989)
    4. Portal (2007)
    5. Mega Man 2 (1988)
    6. Ultima VII: The Black Gate (1992)
    7. Plants vs. Zombies (2009)
    8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)
    9. League of Legends (2009)
    0. Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness (1993)

Dills:
    1. Pitfall! (1982)
    2. Paperboy (1984)
    3. Marathon (1994)
    4. Star Wars: X-Wing (1993)
    5. Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
    6. Angry Birds (2009)
    7. Mirror's Edge (2008)
    8. Zero Wing (1989)
    9. Splinter Cell (2002)
    0. Battlefield 3 (2011)

Belgian guy:
    1. The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
    2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
    3. Mass Effect II (2010)
    4. Age of Empires (1997)
    5. The Operative: No One Lives Forever (2000)
    6. Dead Space (2008)
    7. Rome: Total War (2004)
    8. Duke Nukem 3D (1996)
    9. Bioshock Infinite (2013)
    0. Commandos: Behind enemy lines (1998)

frasermc:
    1. Elite (1985)
    2. Gauntlet (1985)
    3. Command and Conquer: Red Alert (1997)
    4. Sensible Soccer (1992)
    5. The Lords of Midnight (1984)
    6. Syndicate (1993)
    7. Sega Rally Championship (1994)
    8. Bubble Bobble (1987)
    9. X-COM: Terror From the Deep (1995)
    0. Metal Gear Solid (1998)

profiled:
    1. Final Fantasy IV/II (1991)
    2. Metroid (1986)
    3. Street Fighter II (1991)
    4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997)
    5. Diablo II (2000)
    6. God of War (2005)
    7. Metal Slug 3 (2000)
    8. Gran Turismo 2 (1999)
    9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (1999)
    0. Baseball Stars (1989)

spejic:
    1. StarCraft (1998)
    2. Half-Life 2 (2004)
    3. Fallout 3 (2008)
    4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
    5. Portal 2 (2011)
    6. Star Wars (1983)
    7. Homeworld (1999)
    8. Call of Duty (2003)
    9. Realm of Impossibility (1984)
    0. Dishonored (2012)

ASU55RR:
    1. Final Fantasy VI/III (1994)
    2. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002)
    3. Super Mario Kart (1992)
    4. Wing Commander (1990)
    5. Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons (1994)
    Mengão86
    6. Chrono Trigger (1995)
    7. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)
    8. Pokémon Red and Blue (1998)
    9. Frogger (1981)
    0. Banjo Kazooie (1998)

Felixx219:
    1. The Legend of Zelda (1996)
    2. Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987)
    3. FIFA International Soccer (1993)
    4. Galaga (1981)
    5. Madden NFL 98 (1998)
    6. Resident Evil 2 (1998)
    7. Moon Patrol (1982)
    8. NHL '94 (1993)
    9. Grand Theft Auto (1997)

If voting, I recommend picking a top three in no order.

Anyone can vote or comment.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #2 Auriaprottu, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    You should do a poll-type thing where voters can choose three and then discuss or not, instead of having them list the three in their posts. JMO.

EDIT: doesn't look like a poll is going to happen, so my three votes in no order are:

Ismitje- for Red Dead Redemption, Mattel Football and Asteriods
    Felixx219- for Madden, Galaga and NHL
    Uppa 90- for Pac-Man, Goldeneye, Pong, Tecmo SB and Wii Sports

I was kinda disappointed not to see more arcade games here. I would have been crushed in this draft because my vidgame experience began with pinball and arcade games, and the modern technology doesn't assume the same high priority with me that it might with other posters.

Of those that I don't see here, I would have chosen Tecmo Bowl's arcade version, Galaxian, Sea Wolf, and Nintendo Tennis (Arcade version). There's nothing like playing that tennis game doubles mode in an arcade with one of your pals against two guys you never met. I have a soft spot in my heart for Major Havoc, too. Going forward in time, I would have taken Perfect Dark N64 over Goldeneye because the multiplayer allows you to play alone with or against against up to eight sims and give directives to your sim teammates- AFAIK, that was a new wrinkle in gaming. Goldeneye multiplayer required at least one other human, and the flaw there was that you could look at the screen and have an idea where people were.* Madden 64 over Madden 98 for the historic influence. I'm surprised to see so few non-GT driving games.

*If Nintendo 64 had had four discrete monitor outputs, that could have been solved, but it didn't.

3. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    My draft (no order of preference):

1. Resident Evil 4
    [​IMG]

While there is a feeling that this game veers slightly more towards action and less away from horror than the rest of the series, it is on such a high level that even the most hardcore RE fans never really complained – winning multiple game of the year awards in 2005, ranked as the GameCube's greatest ever title. GamePro and IGN both listed near the end of the last decade as the greatest video game of all time, and Nintendo Power listed it as the second best game of the 2000's. It took what was a game all about atmosphere and frequently found to be lacking in gameplay, and made it one of the most playable games ever.

Oh, but the horror isn't lacking either. On a remote island where the local inhabitants and cultists have been infected by a virus turning them into murderous monsters. Sometimes, like in most RE installations, shooting them in the head is helpful. But sometimes... well sometimes it just causes a giant, bulbous and explosive mutation to grow out of there. Which is better than when it's a bladed, veined tentacle. Anyone who had played the game will remember the grey-hair inducing guy with a sack over his head chasing you down in a crowd of enemies, ready to rip your head off as you run for your life. All this is made better by their 'over the shoulder' innovation the game brought about – allowing for a better feel of involvement, and really growing that sense of paranoia as you never know what is behind you. This, and the aiming system the game also created have become staples of pretty much any first person shooter. Furthermore, an early version of the game which was later scrapped went onto become Devil May Cry – so you can thank this game for that too, if you are a fan.

It's got a rich storyline, great voice acting, graphics and cut scenes (a rare combination, especially back in 2005). It is extremely cinematic in it's style, but drags you into it fully and keeps you twitchy with paranoia from start to finish. Even the inventory system is fun, trying to fit what you can into your bag! After Goldeneye is it perhaps the most replayable first person shooter I have ever come across with. Here' a great little reminder of some of the characters for those who played it:

Only, they left this guy out on purpose I reckon. The single most terrifying thing I have ever come across in a computer game ever, bar none. Skip to exactly 5 minutes in and relive the fear of 'that' breathing sound...

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    2. Super Mario 64
    [​IMG]

I remember getting a SNES for Christmas in 1992 at the age of six, and Super Mario being the first computer game I owned, as it came with the console if I recall. But it was five years later when I did my own enactment of “NINTENDO SIXTY FOUR!!!” with Goldeneye and Mario 64. The immersive nature and vibrancy of the whole game just jumps right out at you from the outset and doesn't let go. All the little things like the pitter-patter of Mario's footsteps, the incredibly different atmospheres in different worlds, and even just being able to play with Marios face on the loading screen after hearing that timeless “Itsa me! Mario!”.

The idea of there being six hidden stars in each level, with some of them incredibly well hidden or difficult to get to, of trying to get 100 coins, and of being able to so freely explore the entire castle and courtyard as you saw fit just changed the Mario world entirely and platformers in general – things were no longer linear, you could now just sit back and wander around if you wanted. And the game was so intensely playable that you could spend hours doing just that – swimming around under the bridge into the castle and firing yourself out of random cannons in a search for more hidden gems. Doing dozens of runs down that hidden slide in the mountain, trying to figure out what the hell that big freaky eye was about, dying time and time again in an effort to kill that invincible, evil piano, and chasing that bloody rabbit all over the place

The game was not only fun, but also insanely influential on pretty much everything even close to it that has come since. It has a place in the Smithsonian museum, was commented on by Rockstar Games' head writer as "Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda [on the Nintendo 64] is lying."(and if you look at it, GTA has indeed borrowed a lot from the game), and amazingly is to this day nearly every bit as playable as it was the 16 years ago when it was originally released. To look back on this game and consider that it came out that far back is stunning, and while other greats of their time have aged quite considerably, you could still give this to a about anyone with even a mild interest in video games today and they would have a great time with it.

Somewhere, sometime, in 1997 or 1998 you were staring at this slack-jawed for the first time. If not, you missed out.

General Disarray repped this.
  5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #5 Teso Dos Bichos, Oct 21, 2013
    Difficult to vote given the different drafting styles but here goes:

Uppa 90: Tetris, Goldeneye 007 and Wii Sports - I don't want to know how many months of my life have been sank into that trio!

Dills: Good combination of classic and original (in terms of series) games.

spejic: As above.

Some undrafted games I would have expected to have been drafted:

• Doom
    • Pilotwings
    • Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (better than Starcraft for me)
    • System Shock 2
    • Deux Ex
    • Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (the amazing weapons)
    • TimeSplitters 2
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    • Test Drive Unlimited (The Millionaire's Challenge, amongst others)
    • Solitare/Snake (well if Minesweeper went... ;) )

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    3. Worms Armageddon
    [​IMG]

Just an off-the-walls strategy game with n eccentricity that is hard to come by these days. I was tempted to go with the original, but the additions to this game really put it over the top. How much endless fun could be have crafting ways to get at your friends, trying to grapple hook them 'into the drink', lobbing a banana bomb into a crowd from half the map away, or just baseball batting someone off a cliff. Hilariously eccentric statements like “A donkey, a donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!” when picking up bonus crates, “for the NFL!” when kamikaze-ing your way into a crowd of opponents, or “I'm gonna bust your skull” in a wise-guy accent after getting hit.

This game is everything Lemmings (another one I am surprised went undrafted) could have ever hoped for, and a million times more. The game doesn't seem to have really evolved at all in the 14 years since this instalment, but to be honest that same limitation is also it's biggest strength – it's just fun, silly and very basic. It's so accessible in it's simplicity that you can teach someone to be halfway decent at it in 15 minutes, yet has enough intricacies to it that you never stop getting better. I haven't played it in years, but with the rise of online gaming and this being so multiplayer-centric, I think it's time to go and buy it again...

UPDATE: I wrote this a few days back and have since downloaded it. The lifespan won't be amazing, but this game really has barely aged at all.

All hail, the Holy Hand Grenade:

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    4. F-Zero
    [​IMG]

That same Christmas that I got Super Mario and the SNES, I also got Axelay... and F-Zero. My friend/next door neighbour also got a SNES with Super Mario, Mario Kart and Street Fighter II. We still can't figure out who won there, we really did hit the jackpot! But what really stood out for me about F-Zero were the graphics and mood. While Mario Kart was fun, cutesy, and probably better to play in groups, F-Zero was dark, atmospheric, and kicked ass in solo mode with a much bigger challenge presented.

The early 3D feel, the background super-futuristic cityscapes, post-apocalyptic wastelands, ice-capped mountains with purple skies, the scenery to the side ranging from green fields, to red lava, bleak desert, or general 'what the f***y” purple stuff. The sides trying to pull you in, deal you damage and slow you down, having to fly across the course to get a power up, performing jumps over ramps to get a shortcut, praying you had enough speed as falling short would mean certain death, and the endless frustration of trying to finish the game which was possibly one of the hardest ever released on the SNES – I think it was about a year and a half before any of us beat it on the hardest setting, and when you are 6/7 years old, that is a LONG, LONG, LONG time. What I found interesting is that the GameCube follow up was deemed to be outrageously difficult, but in what must be my I actually found it extremely easy, particularly in comparison to this version. I finished it in a few days, without much effort... always find that weird, especially since I've always been so-so at best with racing games.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Nearly everyone drafted several very good games, so this isn't an easy choice.
    However, these are my three:
    Dante
    Frasermc
    Spejic

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    5. Conkers Bad Fur Day
    [​IMG]

When I went to look this up, I was amazed to find out that it initially only sold around 50,000 units. It does make sense given that it came out right at the end of the N64's cycle, looked cutesy and childish on the outside, but had a lot of justified warnings for adult content therein. But it simply is one of the best games that was ever released on the console – the sound, graphics, gameplay and overall storyline which was rife with great parodies and bizarre humour – from the singing 'Great Mighty Poo' to helping a bee 'pollinate' a large breasted sunflower he's been lusting over and left his wife for, the Grim Reaper who hates cats and squirrels because they are “such a pain in the ass, one of those special cases”, and also this take on the Matrix:

Interestingly, I don't recall seeing bullet time before this game. Oh, and if you pay attention to the pillars in that Matrix scene, that's the same destruction of scenery stuff that Gears of War was lauded for doing... over half a decade later. The multiplayer feature was also amazing for it's time, allowing you to pick either squirrels or satanic teddy-bears and incorporating some elements that are now the standard in multiplayer shoot-em-ups such as Call of Duty.

If you have not played this and have an old N64 lying around or emulator on your computer, I highly recommend doing so – it's just an awful lot of fun, really... imagine a Mario game written by the creators of South Park. It was also apparently the last game RARE made before being bought out by Microsoft (a damn shame, that) which is why the highly anticipated sequel was eventually discarded. To me, it's The Big Lebowski of video games.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Love this game. I don't like the multiplayer as much as I do Perfect Dark, but it's still fun.

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    6. Left 4 Dead
    [​IMG]

I couldn't decide between this and it's sequel which has a good few upgrades, but in the end, while in many respects neither have any place in a draft like this, I went with the original as it the general concept that I love. The story mode on single player is meh, but once you add a second controller and a friend, dim the lights and turn the volume up... holy God you both lose your minds!! To explain the game in a nutshell, four you are abandoned in zombie holocaust and trying to get out of the city, a bit like in 28 Days Later. You walk down a hallway, all is fine. You look in a room. There's a corpse, but otherwise all good. You turn a corner, and still find. You look back to check your teammates are sti---HOLY F*** THERE'S 50 ZOMBIES THERE! WHERE ARE M TEAM WHERE ARE MY GUYS!! IT'S A GREEN MIST FROM ZOMBIE BLOOD AND I CAN HEAR THEM SOMEHWERE, KEEP SHOOTING KEEP SHOOTING AAAAGGGGHHHHH KEEEP SHOOTING!!! SOMETHING GRABBED ME AND PULLED ME AWAY WITH IT'S TONGUE, NOW IT'S HANGING ME HELP HLPE, SOMEONE F***ING HELP!!!!”

It's billed as a survivalist horror, but it's really a black comedy of a game, and a whole lot of fun as a simply frantic. The joy of getting to higher ground and throwing a pipe bomb while hundreds of zombies surround it (because zombies loooove pipe bombs?) until... BOOM! Blood everywhere! The paranoia that hundreds of zombies could pop out of absolutely anywhere at anytime, the REAL fear of hearing the ground shake when a 'big bad' zombie is about, and the panic that spreads when they start flooding you from all over the place, and good God when that 'Smoker' thing catch you with it's tongue. The game itself and the lifespan isn't great, but while it lasts this is guaranteed to be the most fun and terror you will have ever come across.

One bit of advise: Do NOT disturb the witch! God that whole crying/music bit is a haunting. Skip to about 2:20

---

The other four, which I don't have a write-up on (yet):
    7. Doom
    8. Metal Gear Solid 2
    9. Super Metroid (just pipping Metroid Prime)
    10. A toss up between California Games (NES), DigDug (NES), NBA Jam (SNES), Starfox (SNES). Leaning toward the game that gave us the phrase "He's on fire!"

12. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My list of 10 games not picked. I was pretty bummed that I missed the sign-up for this by going AWOL from my computer for a long weekend. Oh well, here’s some of what I would have picked less the great choices you all have made.

1. Team Fortress 2 (2007)

[​IMG]
    The greatest war-themed hat simulator ever. While multiplayer FPSs flood the gaming market, TF2 does it as good as any but with a humor that drains all the testosterone-fueled rage prevalent in some of the other franchises. Not to say people don’t freak out, but it’s hard to stay mad at a cartoon wearing a modest pile of hats doing a silly taunt.

I owned this game on the PS3 as part of the Orange Box. The community there wasn’t strong, but the game was so fun that my wife and I played it all the time. Noticing that the PC version was getting great updates and new maps (and that I had friends playing it there) convinced me to finally buy a gaming PC (which I had abandoned a decade earlier). The constant updates, fun Halloween specials, and user-created content all have kept me coming back to this game. I can’t believe it came out 6 years ago.

2. Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri (1999)

[​IMG]
    The best game in the Civilization series isn’t “Civilization” at all. Alpha Centauri takes Civ into space as the ship that was launched to colonize Alpha Centauri splits into seven factions who crash land and have to rebuild civilization on an alien planet (and eventually go to war with one another). Rather than directing human history in Civ, this game let you direct humanity’s future. I loved researching cool techs that had a real science basis rather than “The Wheel”. I also enjoyed the factions having distinct personalities and play styles. In Civ, those were muted, but in SMAC they seemed to have real consequences on how you played the game. The special project (wonder) videos were top notch as well.

3. Sim City 2000 (1994)

[​IMG]
    As I mentioned earlier in the draft, I wasn’t allowed to own a console as a kid, but we did eventually get a PC. SimCity 2000 was the first game I bought for myself that I obsessed over. It was a huge step up in terms of content from the original. It was also really hard to get a city going when you were a teenager and didn’t know what you were doing (and couldn’t look up strategies online). I think I only ever had one really successful city “Gomorrah”, but I loved playing it. Arcologies were awesome!

4. Bastion (2011)

[​IMG]
    Bastion is the game I finished after BioShock Infinite. Where as BSI’s ending left me angry and frustrated, Bastion’s ending was surprisingly emotional and heartfelt. The narration of your journey by another character, Rucks, is pulled off amazingly, and the game has one of the best soundtracks ever in the medium. This game deserves every ounce of praise as one of the best indies to come out so far.

5. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (1997)

[​IMG]
    It was hard for me to pick which of the series to go with as I think the series improved after this game, but this still remains my favorite Star Wars game. It created a compelling story within the SW universe, was fun FPS combat, and had live-action cutscenes. The cutscenes were cheesy, but I’ll admit to missing them in later iterations.

The rest:

6. Doom 2 (1994) - Really pushed the FPS genre forward. I was terrible at it.

7. Winning Eleven 6/PES 2 (2003) - Personal favorite that helped get me into pro soccer.

8. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (1985) - Successor to Oregon Trail as the game you wanted to play at school.

9. Futurama (2003) - Fun platformer based on the TV show. Really a nice story within the show’s universe.

10. Torchlight (2009) - A loot-based ARPG from the creators of Diablo. Just a lot of fun. I sunk a ton of hours into the bottomless dungeon.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #13 Ombak, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    I really don't know who to pick as my top 3, almost everyone has games I want to recognize by voting for them and ones I think miss he mark. Some have good themes... I'm trying to figure out my criteria and will vote before Wednesday (after which I'm in Brazil for 8 days and won't be able to check in though I really look forward to all the post-draft talk).

Before voting though I guess I can go over some of the picks I was looking at that I did not select:

Donkey Kong. Seriously? This wasn't picked? I took Space Invaders as my arcade game for several reasons, including that it fit a theme of "achievement in sound" that I was considering at the time and hesitated to add another in the 10 picks alloted but I never expected this to go undrafted.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. When I picked my tenth selection this was lined up for pick number 11 had we gone there. Curiously, after talking about Sierra's downfall I was ready to pick another late standout of theirs. Gabrile Knight was an amazing adventure game that showed this company still had it in them. It was also part of the early voice-acting generation of computer games. The fact that only two Sierra adventure games were picked says a lot.

Lemmings. Though looking back this puzzle game is just a blip on the radar (rather than the franchise and spin-off generator it tried to become) it was an amazing game worth remembering as one of the best puzzle games ever. (Also had an amazing soundtrack.)

Wing Commander 2. Had the original not been picked I definitely would've picked this one. Hearing the voices in the opening cinematic blew me a way the first time I ran this game. earing it today is kind of funny but it was just as good as the original and it was on the right track as far as gaming's cinematic ambitions (unlike Wing Commander 3 and the motion capture fad).

I considered taking DotA instead of LoL but LoL is a giant. I also considered taking Civ 2 (some consider it the best Civ - unless you include Alpha Centauri) just as I took Super Mario Bros. 3, or Civ 4 for the achievement in sound theme (it's the only Video Game to have won a Grammy).

Unpicked games on my board... I may need to update this when I'm home tonight but did anyone consider Duck Hunt? It was on my baord as something I expected to be picked but I started to consider it myself for an extended draft.

Other stuff I had on my board included: Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment and Ninja Gaiden.

14. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    #14 Quango, Oct 21, 2013
    Vote:
    1. Uppa90 - Great classics (Tetris, Pacman), genre definers (Sim City, Goldeneye), and a Zelda.
    2. spejic - Great recent games (HL2, Portal 2, Skyrim).
    3. General Disarray - Best Zelda, Wolfenstein(!), and Tomb Raider.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Would love to have seen someone pick one of the N64 Army Men games. Forgot about that one.

Is it just me, or did the classic sports and martial arts and FPS games take a backseat to RPGs? I don't know when the change took place, but it seems the spirit of competition died just a bit somehwhere along the way.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In a way I preferred the MP in this to both Perfect Dark and Goldeneye simply due to the range of modes. I loved Gladiator and the general chaos of both Virus and Flame Tag.

17. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My big surprise is that no flight simulators were picked. I played one called Su-27 a lot, but I couldn't pick it because I based my draft based on perceived quality now instead of nostalgia or historical value and Su-27 had some serious flaws. The modern derivatives of Su-27 are far superior, but I haven't played them.

18. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think sports, fighting, and FPSs have moved to online multiplayer, and that great individual experiences are harder to come by. It seems more disposable in terms of time and memory. RPGs seem to be one of the only areas focusing on developing decent single-player campaigns.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    To play one properly you need additional kit and time. It is a specialist section of gaming for a reason. It says it all that the arcade and flashy Ace Combat is more popular than Over G, which shunned dogfighting for BVR realism (to use a 360 example). People these days simply don't have the attention span or patience for the realism that flight simulations provide (like X-Plane). Alas the combat flight simulation category seems to have died off recently.

The money in FPS and therefore the developer focus shifted to online play (with subscriptions and DLC). It will eventually get to the point where a COD or BF or another will simply just release a MP only game instead of one with a token campaign tagged on for tradition and nothing else. It also works in reverse. Some developers do not have the time or resources for MP (or simply don't want to compete with the two mentioned previously) which means they focus on single player. Hopefully the next Wolfenstein is good for this very reason.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Duck Hunt on 8-bit? I liked it, but it was a bit too repetitive and simple to make a list like this, IMO. The 8-bit soccer was fun as hell, too, but I had to go to a restaurant/bar to play it when it first came out. It seemed to grow in popularity just as arcades were dying out.

That makes sense.

It's probably me. There was a time when I decided that games had begun to require more time and effort than I was willing to put in. It happened with PES and Madden and NCAA Football and with FIFA, where I ultimately got stuck between two levels on all of them- one level I could pretty much dominate with little trouble and the next one up where I had no shot of winning (it was most obvious with World Cup '98- that game was frustrating to no end). Neither was fun, so I started playing PES 2009 or so in "Manager" mode, where I controlled the strategy and lineup but the CPU handled the player's motions. You'd think it was cheesy, but if you set the difficulty to the highest setting, it looks pretty damn good.

One more observation: IMO, the consoles killed off the community spirit associated with arcades and bowling alley gamerooms. It saved me a lot of money in the long run, but I still miss arcades. It was so cool to be in one arcade, have people standing behind you watching you play a game and someone would see you later on in another arcade in another part of town and call you by your initials. I don't play online, never did, so I don't know how much of a community thing goes on there.

Ismitje repped this.
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what's in store with Titanfall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanfall#Gameplay

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Awesome. I haven't really looked into the One in too much detail so did not know the above. Neither did I realise the game was from Respawn. That's doubly awesome.

Dills repped this.
  23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 chad, Oct 21, 2013

parappa!

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really can't believe this wasn't picked. according to steam, i've logged over 650 hours into this game. i haven't played it in awhile, but i may actually get into it for a few rounds if they're doing the halloween stuff again in the next week or whenever.

this is somewhere on my wishlist. i may pick it up during the holiday sales.

people who've only played fifa just don't know. winning eleven, and now pes, was the game for the soccer player. fifa was the game for everyone else. i can't speak for anything after winning eleven 9, but before that, they were the best. fifa just looked great and you could score boatloads of goals. winning eleven rewarded you for taking the time to learn it. i still remember some of the best goals i scored on those games.

another surprising snub from those in the draft.

i'd probably rank the top 3 drafts like this:

1. uppa 90: far and away the winner. so many classics judged by any measure. the only one i'd have issue with is his 10th round with that zelda.

2. belgian guy: age of empires (even though aoe2 probably would've been the better pick, imo) and rome total war are the highlights of this draft.

3. this is a tough one. i can't really separate general disarray, norsk troll, dante, and profiled. all have some good picks, some i'm not very familiar with, and some poor choices.

dq'd. this one goes to felixx. this is due to your complete ignorance of goldeneye. for shame.

Uppa 90 repped this.
  25. Quango

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bastion was 80% off or something on Steam during the summer sale. At that price (or at any price), I definitely recommend getting the version with the soundtrack.