video game as kid recruiting tool... where do i sign up?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by afgrijselijkheid, Sep 15, 2006.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    ... to vomit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_hi_te/army_video_game

soooooooooo i guess our government is just going for flat out insidious at his point, huh?

when are the old men of this country going to stop selling war as something to aspire to, simply so they can continue greasing their profit machines with the blood of american youth?

when are we going to stop letting them?

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I saw this one once, it was the "Last Starfighter"
    Or was it "Toys"

I think they got the idea from Hollywood.

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The America's Army game has been out for about 5-6 years now. Nothing new there. Putting the likenesses of actual soldiers in the game is a little creepy but probably won't make it any more effective as a recruiting tool.

And to be honest, it probably isn't any more effective as a recruiting tool anyway than similar games produced by private manufacturers such as Rainbow Six, Counterstrike, etc.

4. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow, someone has been listening to too much punk or something. "Greasing their profit machines with the blood of American youth" that's almost poetic. But this idea isn't exactly new, nor is it an original idea. I know this whole anti-establishment, damn the man thing is fun, but let's find something a little more worthwhile to be outraged about.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the fact that they give it away for free, you mean.

I remember when this first came out it didn't really measure up to Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, IIRC. Has it improved?

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned the delightful irony of this. This is a video game designed to show just how much fun killing people can be supported by the same government that seems to suffer a seisure and demand the banning of every single video game each time a kid who commits a murder is found to have played a video game once in his life time.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Apart from the fact that it has a link on the main screen saying 'Sign Up' and a link to the US Army recruitment page.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    It was Last Starfighter. Which was Robert Preston's last feature film.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Do they still?? I know they used to, but I could've sworn I saw it in a store a few weeks ago. Could be that they give away the PC version and sell the console version (which is what I saw in the store).

I got it when it first came out and it pretty much sucked, couldn't even really get it to run right on my computer...the Clancy games are much better.

10. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I don't really think that means a lot. If playing any of those games actually motivates you to enlist, you're probably able to find the recruitment website on your own.

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Kinda funny. You hear some people say that games like "Vice City" causes kids to become criminals. Some say "No Way, it's just a video game." Then the same crowd that thinks "Vice City" is harmless are squealing about the Army using video games for recruitment. And those that think "Vice City" is evil, pretty much discard the effectiveness of the Army's video game. Classic.

12. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This whole story is so full of irony and hypocracy that it almost isn't even funny.

13. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thread closed.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss Counterstrike. :(

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I seem to recall, although it was not a good Robin Williams movie that they used games to train kids to operate new weapons systems in Toys.

Last Starfighter was a good movie.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't know. I do know the original version sucked major ass. Give me the Medal of Honor or the Call of Duty series any day.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My 2 cents: if you are convinced by a video game to sign up to the military, you clearly need help. I'd like to think that most people who sign up have better incentives than that.

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You tend to see a few of those kind of people show up. Hence the development of aptitude tests.

19. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Except Vice city's objective is sheer entertainment based on movie references, they don't intend to make you sign for a gang.

I've DLed it. What happens if I sign up ? :eek:

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You get a card that lets you buy cheap gum.