Victoria Street

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dl, Mar 29, 2003.

1. dl

dl New Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Ok, maybe this was settled a long time ago. I know how much debate there has been over what the fans will call the stadium. But is it really on Victoria Street? I went to visit the stadium site last week(yes, I'm a dork, just like the rest of you) to see it in person, and it struck me that the stadium seems as much on Avalon Blvd as it is on Victoria Street. What's the street address going to be? Will it be either Avalon or Victoria? Or will it be one of the campus streets? Or even 182nd or 184th (one of which looked like it was being extended into the parking lot for the stadium. My intent in this is not to change what you call your stadium, honestly it doesn't matter to me. I'm just curious what street it is properly situated on.

Also, I didn't really see any changes being made to the traffic patterns in the area. It will be interesting to see how bad the traffic gets in the area on game days.

-dl

ps-I'm not a big fan of Carson, but the stadium looks pretty nice so far. However, they still do have a good ways to go before opening day.

2. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    The main entrance is on Avalon, but I believe the stadium is closer to Victoria than Avalon. The university uses Victoria on its address.

3. LittleEM12

LittleEM12 New Member

May 9, 2001
    Los Angeles CA
    Actually when I went to vist the stadium I saw an entrance to the stadium on victoria street which heads towars Lalas Hill maybe that will be a players and staff entrance. The official Entrance will be on Avalon.

4. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium is on Avalon, I think the front gate is on Victoria.

But the stadium is and should be called the Home Depot Center, that is unless you want to scare away potential corporations from BUYING the naming rights to other stadiums.

MLS and the Galaxy need the 7 million a year Home Depot is paying for the naming rights.

Say it with me:

"HOME DEPOT CENTER"

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Amen!

Home Depot Center. Yeah, that feels right. :D

-Digital

6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this again. :rolleyes:

7. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Yeah, but it still needs a nickname. Like "the lumber yard" or "the woodshed" or how 'bout "the big box." That's it, "the big box." Now that's a nickname.

8. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to Seattle for the Venezuela game & ran into a TON of fans who were VERY gracious in their comments about OUR new stadium!!!

Seems like the ENTIRE fan base of MLS is looking forward to June 7, almost as much as we are. IMHO there is a tinge of jealousy & envy throughout MLS and, who can blame them??!! Hell, even the D.C. (dog crap) United fans were very complimentary (though, I think some of them ACTUALLY believe that they have a shot at making it to MLS Cup '03. HOW FUNNY, is that!!!)

The interesting thing is that there seems to be more anticipation for Victoria St. than there was for Crew Stadium in 1999.

CAN'T WAIT 'til June 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine a worthy nickname will evolve after the first game has been played.

Coming up with a worthy nickname before even the first game may be a little premature.

It will just happen.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "worthy nickname" is already in place. Its "Victoria Street."

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's wrong with "Avalon Park" or "NTC" or "HDC" or other suggestions?

12. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Homer's House!

Homer being the Home Depot mascot.

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing WRONG with any of them - except that the boat has already sailed. No one suggested those names before Victoria Street was already entrenched.

But remember, there is nothing "official" about a nickname. Nobody should be a militant about this - I keep saying, call it what you want as long as you show up and scream your lungs out for the GaLAxy.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    how incredibly stupid is it to suppose that a nickname will prevent companies from purchasing stadium rights?

and why the hell continue on with this?

it's victoria street... take a look at the title of this thread, take a look at how the media writes about it as victoria street

it's victoria street plan and simple

the home depot center doesn't just include the soccer stadium, so it's nice that the soccer stadium has a name of it's own

how incredibly annoying would it to be calling every single stadium at this complex the home depot center?

15. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Victoria Street doesn't bother me (I'm gonna call it the Home Depot Center or "the new Galaxy stadium" when talking to people in person about it), but I think some G's fans are not too happy with the nickname being decided by a minority of the people that go to the games, and that was way before the groundbreaking. And I'm sure whoever thought of the nickname on these boards just kinda threw it out there.

I like "The Woodshed" the best as suggested by Grant Wahl.

16. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sentiments exactly, but there still are people who don't like "Victoria Street" and want to keep the pot stirring. To all those who don't like: it's just a nickname. If you don't like it, call it something something else; we'll have an idea what you're talking about, but realize that you know that "Victoria Street" pertains to the stadium.

17. Galaxy64

Galaxy64 Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can remember I have read and talked to a lot of people and the nickname that keeps popping up and what I use is VICTORIA ST. It's just that after all this time it has stuck.

18. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Snoop Dog and Big Bird's favorite team

Sunny day, everythings a-ok
    On my way to watch the Quakes get beat
    Can you tell me how to get,
    How to get to Victoria Street?

19. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    On the other hand...

Latest Boot Room: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=263106&cc=5901

Jeff Bradley at the very end of the piece refers to our new home as "The Depot". Has a nice ring to it.

No reason that there can't be many nicknames for "The Cathedral of Soccer®". I personally think "The Woodshed" sounds dorky, and would come to bite us in the ass if the Galaxy has a turn for the worse. But "The HDC", "The Depot", "The NTC" "The House that Fish built", we all know what you mean.

20. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: On the other hand...

I agree with your overall sentiment but let's give credit where credit is due. "The House that Fish built" does not work. As great as he was LAST year, the stadium plans were well underway before "El Pescadito" came on board. More appropriate:

"The house that Cobi/Cien/Uncle Phil built"

Take your pick. Any of the three has been there from the beginning.

21. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I agree. The stadium seems to hit boh Victoria Street and Avalon. But, Home Depot Center is the name. Now, how much money did Home Depot put for this??????

22. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Re: Re: Victoria Street

$70 million for 10 years