Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    People in Australia love Jacinda. If we could trade Prime Ministers and not constantly be embarrassed or ashamed that would be super.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oz needs to make eggboy pm.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jacinda owning Scotty from marketing is a constant highlight

mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm jealous, you can choose between Jacinda and Angela, two strong women leaders, and I'm left with a con man who thinks he's smarter than the epidemiologists.

danielh, yossarian, NorthBank and 2 others repped this.
  5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23380 Jamooky, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Haven't played any football manager games since EA stopped making them - but I'm thinking about downloading FM20. Good idea? or slippery slope?

6. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Can't speak to FM20 specifically, I'm still playing an older version. I have a dual monitor set up, so I multitask. Run FM on one screen while doing other stuff on the second screen.

But yes, it is a very slippery slope. I never use national teams as they are too boring. It really helps you understand the homegrown and work permit rules in each nation. Right now I'm managing Athletic Bilbao which is a very different experience.

Super Llama and Jamooky repped this.
  7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played a demo and found it to be exhaustingly complicated and realistic. I needed a more mindless experience. I play New Star Manager right now and it's pretty good. Not as addictive as FM but still has a lot of the same stuff like team building and management.

Jamooky repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never forget Richard Heath on my FM2006. Arsenal academy wonderkid who scored 50+ league goals every season.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't do that stuff at all, but did I hear that FM is free on Steam at the moment? I might've gotten that wrong.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of turning this thread into a debate on politics or our current "leader", which honestly I don't want to do right here. But when I read your post I instantly thought of this quote from Mike Bloomberg not so long ago:

"We had a pleasant conversation," Bloomberg said. "He asked what he should do. I said, 'hire people smarter than you,' and he said, 'there aren't any.'"

Just that one trait alone will likely doom Americans, America and perhaps even the World, for years to come. It's sobering.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What's most interesting to me (given I spent years in Merkel land) is the difference between the 2

The Jacinda government has an amazing degree of empathy and emotional intelligence.

Lots of key leaders in NZ are women and they don't speak the corporate language of old white guy

Key comms are often very emotional and it resonates a lot better because people are scared and they don't want to hear BLAH

NorthBank repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23387 NorthBank, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    I'm still listening to my regular footy podcasts and sadly, in the absence of football and real news, they've become largely dribble.

However, I'm now listening to a fantastic interview of Cesc Fabregas. I'm only half way through and he's already spent a long time talking about Wenger. And now he's talking about how Xabi Alonso was "made for Arsenal" and really really wanted to come to us, and how we failed to convert that. Anyway, it's well worth an hour of your time during home quarantine. ;)
    https://arseblog.com/2020/03/episode-570-cesc-fabregas/

maskito repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks for the reco

AM remains the worst interviewer ever

He is so busy talking or kissing arse he never draws out any interesting answers

14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Its a highlight of mine too until I realise that;
    1. I am Australian and
    2. I live in Australia.

Surprised he didn't ******** off to Hawaii again.

mebeSajid and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True. But still. Getting Fabregas for a podcast is pretty crazy.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. But the interview was still good, because of what Cesc was willing to share, regardless of Andrew's relatively poor interviewing skills.

One of the things that he does a lot on his regular pods is to ask what his colleagues think of a certain issue, but then before they get a chance to answer he immediately says what HE thinks, which of course generally skews the response the other person ends up giving.

Andrew has some strengths indeed but this is not one of them.

The Jitty Slitter and Tonerl repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and you could tell he was a little nervous/starstruck because of it.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the arseblog podcast is one of the weaker Arsenal podcasts - it was great when it started out because it was pretty unique. Now, I think there are better ones: Arsenal Vision in particular is fantastic. No shame there: arseblog just didn't push the envelope.

19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I think everyone has their own preferences. Arsenal Vision is better on tactics and breakdowns while Arseblog is more casual. But Arseblog is a professional voice over actor in Andrew and a stand-up comic/actor in James. Personally, I find them waaaaayyyyyy easier to listen to than Elliot and Clive. Plus, Andrew will regularly have really good guests like David Ornstein or Philippe Auclair.

Shen-O and yossarian repped this.
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't think even Andrew would tout his interview skills, but I think he and James have done a great job of being the longstanding "Greek chorus" as it were for the average fan. And it certainly helps that I find both of them really funny. C'mon how can anyone not like Magpie facts?

Definitely Arsenalvision is better for the match tactics and player analysis. And while I love Elliot, he can be whiny at times. Clive is usually insightful but can fall prey too often to attributing everything to mentality. Paul? Seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with, but I don't really love him on the pod.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still listen to both Arsecast & ArsenalVision and appreciate their differences.

Magpie facts was kinda funny at first but lately I'm now tired of it, and the recent episode where it was featured for like half of the pod, I thought was pretty weak. But then again what the hell else are they supposed to do to fill a pod these days?!

As for that, I think a better approach might be to cut back on the # of episodes, or just make half-hour shows, because they're gonna lose listeners (probably already have) if they continue to try to make-up stuff for an hour or more.

As for funny, I still love the puns that pervade the Totally Football Show. Something about James Richardson's quickness & delivery I just like (I suppose there are plenty who hate him). Why did he leave the Guardian anyway?? I also like the show's economy... things don't drag on too long like they do with most of the other footy pods. Plus they has good/smart contributors, by and large.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Billie Eilish parody was brilliant. Plus, anyone who grew up watching Heckle & Jeckle has to love Magpie facts.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree there was some great stuff but it was frustrating because Cesc got into some interesting detail but AM never drills down.

So e.g. he was talking about the senior players helping him - so why not ask him what it was like to play with Pires or Vieira? in midfield?

Yes - e.g. he spends ages raving on about Wengers management style - when he has an expert on the topic right there.

Kind of annoying because it was a chance to go beyond the typical fan view, to get an unvarnished account.

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have an awesome FM going from FM2012. Can’t remember what year I’m in but dominating the world with Fleetwood Town. One key component of my rise up the ranks? Jamie Vardy. One of the generated players is ridiculously good and I got him for cheap!

Magno Vieira was a stud for me and he was on the team when I started.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Just one example - i had to listen for 5mins just to get to the actual content

why?