Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the new PM, no?

thebigman repped this.
  2. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Part of this has to be that most education systems don't actually teach students about anything. I have had some hilarious interactions in England with privately educated individuals, including not knowing as a matter of fact that the US is descended from a British colony. They could thankfully accept that it made sense once it was brought up so that's something.

So I don't take for granted that most people would know that The Hitler administration's legislation (of the early and mid-30s) factually looks substantively similar to this bill in the language used to describe the subjects. I'm sure most people think Hitler was all Nazi all the time time. Ironically the whole point Lineker is trying to make betrays how out of touch he is with his countrymen.

To an educated population, that the comparison has any factual basis should be sufficient for people to stop and think about exactly what we are complicit too.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italians have been screaming from the top of their lungs how insane and obvious the Juve stuff has been for decades but they only ever get "stop crying, play better" replies, like Arsenal did when United was just kicking Arsenal off the park and getting phantom pens. The infuriating part is the media then playing it up, talking about how amazing and strong Juve's mentality is, how they never quit, how they never stop...LOL....thats like praising OJ Simpson for his ability to stay out of prison.

4. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erling Haaland seems to have a lot of potential. I wonder if he will ever become legitimately good.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Porto/Inter has been great for those with sleeping issues.

6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    And Porto hit the woodwork twice in 20 seconds after a goal line clearance.

Finally its picking up and theres only like 2 mins left in the match.

7. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I assume one of those matches was the infamous Chelsea/Barca screw job where Barca gave away legitimately 4 penalties at minimum and they got completely overlooked.

8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atrocious, except for that one minute in stoppage time

And_ROOS repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    British hostility to immigration is quite ironic.

GunnerJacket and danielh repped this.
  10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Of quite as ironic as that of a nation of immigrants.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But I’m not sure how far the UK is behind the USA on the degree to which immigrants (permanent or temporary) make up the population. Though my observations are quite London-centric so they could be skewed. Just as they might be skewed here in the NYC metro area.

12. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The diversity of the populations of New York and London have nothing to do with my comment, The fundamental irony is that with the exception of Native Americans and African Americans, (whose ancestors were brought here in chains) we are all immigrants or the descendants of immigrants, including every White Nationalist worried about the great replacement conspiracy theory.

AEAAFC96, thebigman and Tonerl repped this.
  13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This is why y'all lose don't get anywhere debating these types cause you don't see the sleight of hand. White Nationalists aren't immigrants. Immigrants go to countries or nations. From their perspective, they are descendants of the Settlers, which is an entirely different class of people than immigrants or migrants. Settlers go to a place that either has no nation or arrive as conquerors. They view settlers as objectively and morally superior to migrants or immigrants, this is also why they don't consider themselves racist.

mebeSajid, DaPrince84, Tonerl and 2 others repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Their slight of hand is exactly that and doesn’t hold up to any kind of scrutiny. Their “settlers” were immigrating to a British Colony and there were also plenty of white Irish, Italian, German, and Polish immigrants, among others, each discriminated against, in turn, after the United States became a Nation. In addition, make no mistake the “settlement” of the United States was far from benign.

AEAAFC96 and Tonerl repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

I thought you were implying that USA was much more a nation of immigrants than the UK is, thus the irony is greater. And I was wondering if the UK is very far behind the USA by this metric.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Osimhen with a double. I remember @DaPrince84 saying we should get him a few years ago before he blew up. Thought he was good but also that suggestion was because he's Nigerian lol. He's a high calibre striker.

Prince, since we can't afford him now how good is Terem Moffi as an option?

DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Of course. But the problem is whether you know it or not you agree with the basic presuppositions of any sort of nationalism, lets's use American White Nationalism.

1) That there is such a thing as "American"
    2) That you either are born one, or can follow a process willingly or unwillingly to become one

Once you agree with those things you are arguing on semantic or subjective definitional games. The traditional liberal argument is that anyone who follows the steps to become American is American and there is no distinction beyond status achieved. The more liberal interpretation is anyone who shows a sufficiently strong desire to be American and is in America is American.

But this is just technocratic word games because the actual moral assumption is that there is a thing that is distinct about Americans morally, and if that is true how can any process cover the distance between an American and something else? This is why lineage becomes such an obsession with these people, and generally, they include some sort of precipitating event as the cut-off. Regardless, once you are at the point of making moral distinctions between groups of people it seems humans always end up doing something monstrous over a shockingly short timeline.

Which is why the language of the legislation is such a big problem.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't the bolded part a bit of question begging, as not everyone is making any sort of moral assumption about the designation "American." For most non-mouth breathers, it's simply shorthand for a citizenship designation, i.e., a citizen of the United States. Or are you saying even the citizenship designation is wrapped up in moral assumptions? If that's the case, isn't that true for any entity/territory/parcel of land one characterizes as a "nation" or "state" ?

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33594 NorthBank, Mar 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Bringing us back to footy?…

Watching the next season of AFC Richmond and there’s good ole Gunnerblog as journo in the presser. Perfect casting.

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's no Trent Crimm from The Independent, but he's pretty good.
    :D

NorthBank and Tonerl repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Coach Beard is a Gooner.

NorthBank repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #33597 The Jitty Slitter, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    Public sentiment actually is not hostile and UK immigration numbers are quite high at the moment post Brexit.

It is factions of this government which are hostile and evil. The public is legitimately very worried about the high numbers of small boat crossings. The government caused the explosion of crossings by closing the safe asylum routes. They could 'fix' the problem today if they actually wanted to.

One of the problems with this issue is there is so much bad faith propaganda put out about Asylum seekers.

But in any event, the idea the UK is anti-immigrant is misleading IMO. There is high support for the idea that the UK should take in the immigrants it needs - especially in critical areas where there are shortages of skilled workers.

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    London is a city state of immigrants. I think it very much depends on where you are talking about.

Personally I find the issue you come across more is the idea that the UK has too many people and needs to control immigration better. UK is only the size of NZ, yet has 15x the population.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The main point is that he doesn't work as a journalist at BBC news.

Much tighter rules apply to the journalists than to the various stars, workers, contractors etc in the non news / content parts of the Beeb

Alan Sugar is a good example. He's a star in a stupid TV show. Obviously no one would mix up his views with the actual reporting of the BBC

NorthBank and Tonerl repped this.
  25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have to watch more but I don’t think he Arsenal caliber.

Osimehn was the one.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.