Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read there will be no appeals. The EPL hearing is an arbitration vs a trial. The arbitration is final and binding. No appeals.

Also saw somewhere that the current count is over 100 violations over 9 years. If they just get a slap on the wrist then the EPL will be opening Pandora's box.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One?

3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I was giving them credit for the 2 that City will have to forfeit.

casoccerdad47, GunnerJacket and Tonerl repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Their whole system works because VVD is superman, and he's stopped being superman.

5. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANy chance Chelsea also have done some of this shady stuff int he roman era or do you think since they got sold they get a clean slate?

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know people don't really follow other league's here, but this may be as bad as what Juve did and they got a 15 point reduction.

If the Serie A takes this more seriously than the Premier League, then the PL looks more corrupt than them.

casoccerdad47, GunnerJacket and Bluto11 repped this.
  7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They've stopped doing the silly money for Benteke type stuff. Sometimes moves don't work, but that happens to everyone.

8. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the PL really wants to show some strength and put some fear into other clubs, they should deduct enough points to relegate them. That would ultimately result in Pep leaving and most of their 25-man roster looking to move on. With the young guys they have out on loan, currently in the 1st team or in the academy, there is a decent chance they could still win the Championship next season and be back but the precedent of essentially forcing a "restart" and atleast 2-3 years of loss EL/CL revenue would definitely deter future occurrences from other clubs.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The PL is more corrupt than them.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I feel like the whole of Italian football is corrupt and when a team gets punished it’s more of a “hey, clean it up and stop making it obvious” versus a “never do this again”

yossarian and GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another difference is that the EPL relegating Citeh is not the same as Serie A relegating Juve. Proportionally, they aren't equal . . . still awesome to me that they actually did it.

Super Llama, GunnerJacket and Bluto11 repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm... huh???

13. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I guess it wasn't a good joke if I have to explain it twice.

casoccerdad47, Tonerl and NorthBank repped this.
  14. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think the Premier League has more money than CITY??? :ROFLMAO:

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Nice try ;)

If they have to foreit titles it sounds like it may be more than two. That is certainly putting the cart before the horse of course.

But I have to say that one of analogies that popped into my head was Lance Armstrong. 7 TdF titles he ended up foreiting for drugs doping. So Man City for financial doping???

The other analogy that popped into my head was Juve, who just got a BIG points deduction this season for financial shenanigans, and I'm thinking that their league may have acted reasonably quickly in reaching that punishment.

Will be interesting that's for sure! And I for one DID NOT seeing this coming today!!

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A key point here is that if grey and black markets exist in football, then they will be exploited in each league - why would you not? There is no reason to think a manager or chairman in the EPL is more honest than in Serie A. Look at Chelsea. A totally corrupt money laundering operation for dirty money in plain sight.

I would also add in England, there is a conceit that because you don't have to bribe local cops for basic things, there is no corruption like in countries such as Italy or Greece. Yet as we've seen, England is plenty corrupt at the top. So while a company might not do blatant fraud on its books that could lead to jail - the idea that you wouldn't cheat league rules seems laughable to me.

DutchCane and DaPrince84 repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this morning I got a breaking news alert on my phone about Man City, and from the NY Times no less. I knew it must be big and serious if that's the first source I heard it from. But I didn't have time to check into it.

So now I just read today's article from Tariq Panja, who's a good "business of sport" writer:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/...er-city-premier-league-financial-charges.html

He ended the piece with a little potential foreshadowing:

AEAAFC96 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Leeds fired Marsch

19. ThreeUpTop

ThreeUpTop Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Valley Forge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That quote from Pep is making the rounds on Reddit today too. Would be interesting if he held himself accountable to it.

Or, you know, when he doesn’t, or when this becomes just a slap on the wrist for City, Arsenal just needs to beat them on the pitch that much more.

NorthBank repped this.
  20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they missed out on Dyche.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) It would be apt that Citeh gets punished this season, purely so that Arsenal's detractors could point to a Gunners' title run and hang an asterisk on it. "Yeah, but you didn't really earn it!"

B) I'd be shocked if they find violations at Citeh that Chelsea hasn't done before, who literally cleared the path for modern day financial doping.

C) I'll be particularly curious to see if Citeh's satellite-franchise model factors into this. Such a system isn't viable for everyone, and the potential advantages invite abuse.

- - - -

Whatever happens, if it moves the games toward more financial clarity and tighter measures to protect financial parity then I'm on board.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win the title, I assure you I won't give a good g*ddamn f* ck what people say about the "validity" of that title.

AEAAFC96, And_ROOS, Tonerl and 3 others repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I guess the writing was on the wall. But I was hoping (along with some others I listen to) he'd have a few more games to try to turn things around. But I completely understand why clubs do this, especially given the unparalleled financial stakes of this league.

p.s. Chris Armas must be feeling a little like a reverse-rabbits-foot in the EPL.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I hope City form a rebel super league

DutchCane repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33100 NorthBank, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Yeah, I just had a thought that maybe this could just be the psychological motivation our boys need to win this thing the old fashioned way, without any points deduction or whatever. Make ourselves asterisk proof! (win the league outright, i.e. even without any potential points-deduction factored in)