Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Klopp but that's neither here nor there. Obviously he has cycles of fallowness and success. And this season they're the "victims" of an aging squad, lost/diminished strikers, key injuries, etc.

BUT, as much as Pool fans are bummed right now, sitting in a tie for 9th place, don't you think that they'd do it all over with Klopp? "Winning a few things here and there" included:

1. First league title in 30 years!
    2. Second UCL title, and first in 14 years
    3. More minor trophies like: Club WC, Super Cup, FA Cup, League Cup

2. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    See here is the thing, good managers do it one time, great managers do it multiple times them are the rules. I think Klopp is good, but they make it out like he's some all timer. I mean Chelsea won the CL and CWC is Tuchel an all timer? I mean what are we doing here?

So continuing on, great managers refresh/rebuild teams as well. Again the guy is decent/good but not what the media and LFC fans make him out to be. That's all

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    It's really crazy, but I've come to the conclusion long ago that all this high level football is just tax evasion/money laundering, a half a dozen of one, six of the other

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One might assume that, but might vanity also apply to PE investors? I'm sure you know this way better than I, but there are other prominent hedge funds that own big teams, or at least big chunks of big teams. ACM/Redbird/Elliott comes to mind. Are many/most of those other investors seeing or expecting ROI from their footy investments? It's an honest question.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No. Money is their vanity.

6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    They are but IMO, and from talking to guys in that space its about selling at the high, which is why a lot of them take larger positions in lower valuation clubs. There's a guy who does this for a UK based firm they are currently going crazy buying Italian Serie B clubs

7. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully they don't have a consistent striker or otherwise they'd be in with Arsenal, et. al. in a dog fight for top 4.

8. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically Klopp is suffering from the same thing Shankly did: overreliance on his aging stars without replenishing with new talent in key spots.

BTW: anybody catch Osimhen's outrageous goal v. Roma? Surprised that Chelsea didn't put in a bid for him yet. Little doubt he's going to be the apple of everyone's eye come the summer transfer window.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Napoli negotiations = blood from a stone

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So were all the posts and articles of Chelsea not spending like under Abramovich just wishful thinking?

11. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it appears so

12. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Chelsea have brought in Madueke, Mudryk, Badiashile, Felix, Santos, Fofana and about to secure Enzo. But can't they only add 3 new players to their CL squad? Thats, well, awkward for someone.

13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    yossarian and Tonerl repped this.
  14. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They are going to run into FFP limits eventually, hence why they didn't just pay Benfica the release clause 2 weeks ago. No CL revenue next season will further tighten how much they can spend.

A lot of this spending was a condition on sale of the club, where Boehly agreed to invest 500m in the squad and 1bn into the stadium and infrastructure.

Chelsea will probably have a net spend of ~125-150m a year going forward. The problem is going to be Liverpool with their likely new Qatari owners and United with their new owner. I could see each of them doing 250m+ net spends this summer.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bellerin has joined Sporting CP.

Meanwhile Everton had a bid for Giroud rejected.
    They say you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Sadly for Everton, they also miss 100% of the shots they do take, may take, and will ever take going forward.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Felix, Mudryk, and Enzo have to be the three.

And_ROOS repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sadly?

They are a corrupt russian oligarch side - hope they get relegated

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is why football is completely broken

In order to justify these spends, Private Equity FC will need to juice the asset value which will inevitably mean returning to ideas for new competitions. They need more televised games

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really, really hope Chelsea miss out on CL and even EL, now.

AEAAFC96, danielh, NorthBank and 2 others repped this.
  20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My borderline realistic ideal scenario would be for Arsenal, City & Newcastle to finish 1-2-3 like they currently are in the table. Then ManU & spuds have a 2nd half collapse that opens the door for Brighton, Fulham & Brentford (no particular order) to round out the top 6. That would leave ManU, spuds, Pool & PE FC all ranked anywhere from 7 to 12. My borderline erotic 2 year fantasy is for ManU, spuds & PE FC to have a huge collapse next season and be relegated.

GunnerJacket and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Can't wait till they launch a new sub franchise in Miami

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it's only a matter of time before they climb back up the table. With that kind of investment it seems inevitable. Unless they are complete buffoons. :whistling:

23. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What goes up must come down

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sadly was used very facetiously by me, bet their contracts are ********ed because even after the last few near misses they probably see themselves like Leeds did around 2000, too big to go down.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NUFC-MUFC in the League Cup Final on Feb 26… sorta tasty that.

Two historic clubs. Who’ve had to endure fallow periods and desperately wanna prove themselves. OK, Newcastle owns that category with 54 years without a trophy! Plus there’s that little memory of an intense feud nearly 30 years ago.

Was gonna cancel my ESPN+ subscription since we’re out of both cups but maybe I’ll keep it just for this match?