Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The independent Chelsea Pitch Owners Assoc. means if the club leaves Stamford Bridge for good they'd face an extra, pricey fee for leaving, and once Battersea was removed as an option by the govt. they settled on a complete rebuild at the bridge. A funky, mostly brick design that won good reviews but would be very costly just to reach a possible 60k, and would require 2 seasons at Wembley. The plan involved decking over rail lines and of course getting rid of the hotel and commercial uses there now.

Last word was that Boehly and Co. we're committed to doing something but hinted that the latest design was too costly, and that a possible major renovation of the Bridge would be in the works.

NorthBank repped this.
  2. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: The way Stanford Bridge was originally designed, wouldn't Chelsea have retained the right to those areas when they first renovated? Or, when they redesigned, Chelsea effectively land-locked themselves?

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32853 NorthBank, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Wow, you really have kept tabs on them! ;) So, long story short, it sounds like they're not going to build a new ground but rather try to renovate, to a greater or lesser degree, the existing place? It's always been funky and sounds like it might remain that way.

BUT let me lay on you what the Bridge looked like when I first went there. It was much more wide open and there was this oval track that ran all the way around, which apparently they used as a car park on match days! Felt much more like an athletic stadium than a football ground.

upload_2023-1-20_14-35-59.jpeg

4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    That Pep post game interview in the tunnel is the best evidence that Arteta and the team are right there. It's early but Arsenal are as relentless as any team and that puts a lot of pressure on other teams, including City. IMO City slacked off cause they figured that no one would challenge them, and here is Arsenal. Gotta beat the Champ to be the Champ. Let's get to it.

NorthBank repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean Spurs can't throw cash around because the Stadium is a suck on cashflow

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I understand, I was merely speculating how Chelsea will handle a similar challenge when the time comes to upgrade their stadium.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Their proposed redesign wouldn't require any land purchases, per SE, just the acquisition of easements and the buying out of the commercial properties affixed to the stadium. IIRC, anyway.

Their biggest obstacle is simply money. Without RA able to foot the bill the owners are viewing things through a more pragmatic lens. Would it be worth for them to invest $1B dollars for a net gain of, say, 15k seats if that's all they could realistically get?

I've got my money (a literal $20 bet) on them doing a modification of the Bridge topping out at a little over 50k and then calling it a day.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My primary mod duties are on an architectural message board with extensive pages dedicated to stadiums. I was/ am actually quite popular with most of the S***s fans there from keeping things kosher on the NWHL thread.

9. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So…Spuds need to overhaul and rebuild most of their squad, but their sporting director who followed Conte there is suspended for the next 2.5 years.

The Jitty Slitter and NorthBank repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow had no idea of such a forum. Want to give us a link to check out?

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    For the moment that suspension is only in Italy, but my understanding is that there is a request for FIFA to extend it world wide.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Strange that the honest english lads would hire an obvious crook

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks for the info

I remember Athletic had a backgrounder on this with maps and all - as you say, the development is insanely difficult given how tight central london is. IIRC there is a difficulty with the tube line which is above ground there?

So like you say - crazily difficult with low upsides

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Flipped on the Scousers vs the Chavs and the pitch at Anfield is shit. Has it always been shit? Looks worse than I remember.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch looks OK to me. Then again I remember what stood for pitches in the 70s and 80s. :p

What’s really noticeable to me though is that Jim Beglin has to be the worst, most negative co-com in the Premier league

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...except talking about Mudryk. He seems to rate him. Of course right when I turn it on, he has some nice footwork to get a shot away.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Not impressed with Mudryk in his first 25 minutes

One decent little dribble that came to nothing and a couple of miscontrolled touches - surprisingly

And_ROOS repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woof, a pretty dismal 0-0 at Anfield.

19. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    That first chance he had, where he dribbles through 2 players but then whiffs the shot, I thought that looked really good.

But then he had that ball played into acres of space and instead of a first time volley on his left he controlled it horrendously on the right.

First 0-0 draw there between the two teams since the 70s.

NorthBank repped this.
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he looked decent for his first match in the Prem. He definitely has quick feet and pace.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    £100 million though ?

Shen-O repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    There was a pass down the left into the box from Cucurella and Mudryk’s first touch was dreadful .. just ran out for a goal kick

You wouldn’t expect technicians like Ziyech or Mahrez to mis-control the ball in those positions

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only played 40 minutes, FFS??

DaPrince84 and NorthBank repped this.
  24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Isn't this also his first match in months. Gonna need at least 10 games before I write him off as Wish Theo Walcott.

DaPrince84 and NorthBank repped this.
  25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He was in pre-season training when the deal went through.

Let's be clear, I'm not lighting torches or sharpening pitchforks because Edu (the club) couldn't get the deal over the line. The cost was huge and the terms Chelsea offered were ridiculous. And I think the pivot to Trossard was a savvy low downside high upside move. But I just think it's silly to write off Mudryk after 40 minutes just because we didn't get him.

DaPrince84 repped this.