Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They bought Liverpool for £300 million and are going to sell them for like £2 billion.

They couldn't totally maximize their insane profit via the ESL, so they're out.

daedalus and And_ROOS repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Offers over £3 billion apparently

daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'll get FSG a couple starters and an outfielder who hits for power, for sure.

Serengeti_Boy, AEAAFC96 and daedalus repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I think the decision to sell is a combination of the quick death of the super league - which limits the potential upside value of the club - and the covid shutdown - which introduced a downside that no one had realistically considered before. Throw in Chelsea being sold for more than expected when Abramovich had very little leverage.

Josh being younger and more directly involved in the club than United or Pool's owners (I think? someone can tell me if this is wrong) makes me think Arsenal are less likely to be sold, but you never know.

Serengeti_Boy, daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, more than josh's age . . . the kroenkes simply don't need the money. oil money is about the only thing more whatever-proof than real estate and walmart money. they don't need immediate profit to show investors like FSG and they don't need ROI to fund the next project like the glazers. if they can stabilize the organisation and keep straddling red/black in the books, they can have an asset just . . . sitting there appreciating.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    interesting. apparently, teamviewer wants to get out of the united shirt sponsor deal. there's no get out clause so they might well be stuck until 26 but it's got to be awkward as hell for your primary sponsor to be openly wanting out.

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They don’t want to be lead sponsor of the Decade of Failure?

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Stan is rumoured to have leveraged up his Arsenal asset so it’s a different business : ownership model to FSG

daedalus repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm far from a finance guy but yeah that has been my impression, especially in the last few years... more debt driven spending. At the same time I was under the assumption that we weren't as leveraged as Yanited.

Would you mind sharing your wisdom on this? I.e. how is our ownership/financial situation similar/different, compared to Pool & Yanited?

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It isn’t a leveraged buyout like Utd

rather in a low interest environment, as the value of his asset increased he could borrow money to buy more assets against that equity. The theory is that this is how he has drawn down his gains on arsenal. Now we are in a different interest rate world but presumably he is happy if his loans were locked in at low rates

with cheap finance off the table presumably Liverpool and Utd owners would rather cash in that have to finance the further investment their teams need

NorthBank repped this.
  11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32311 Shen-O, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    lol @ when Glazers sell but United gets even worse

It's the people who run the club, not the Glazers, who are the problem.

They wouldn't even have won those league titles and CLs in the mid-late 2000s without the Glazers stepping in.

Maybe the real problem is there's more competition than just Arsenal and an occasional 3rd team, maybe the real problem is they don't have one of their execs in the referee selection committee anymore, when no other PL team had a seat there, maybe the real problem is they actually give up penalties now?

Silva 5 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be like the Saudis to offer CR7 ludicrously stupid money.

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he has to take it, right?

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if you're being serious. But it's hard for me to imagine him taking a job outside of a UCL (bound) club. We shall see.

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I agree that he almost certainly wants a Champions League team, but which Champions League team is going to sign him? Does a Champions League team really want a player whose ability no longer matches his toxic ego? Does that ego allow him to take the massive pay cut that most Champions League would need him to take in order to be able to sign him? I could be wrong, but Chelsea with their new owner might be the only Champions League team to show any interest at the wages Renaldo will demand and I think Potter is smarter than that.

daedalus repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a casual, generally disinterested observer, of CR7, I'd venture to say that vanity and record books are more important to him than further monetary rewards. Thus I suspect he'll be desperate to find a UCL club, even if it means taking a big pay cut, and even if it means it's in a "lesser" country/league.

17. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ronaldo at Real Madrid. But his time as an elite player is over. He doesn't seem interested in believing that, because what he did to earn his end at United was worse than what RvP did to earn his end at Arsenal. Not sure what that means for Ronaldo's legacy at United (he won a lot more trophies than RvP did, so I doubt they all just write him off as Arsenal fans did Van Persie, but some will, for sure.

He'll do whatever he wants to do, but I feel like his options are extremely limited relative to any sort of Champions League move. I don't think he can offer much, and he'll demand way too much in return.

18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Good article about the price tag for sports franchises increasing and the reasons why. It's limited to only the 4 major US sports and doesn't mention Chelsea, United or Liverpool, but I'm sure many of the reasons are the same.

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2022/11/28/23472636/sports-team-franchise-valuation-sale-prices

With the failure of the super league, I could see the PL trying to implement additional cost controls piecemeal, like a stronger cap on salary, in a way that is incremental and doesn't result in the same fan blowback. In fact, wage controls are probably popular among fans.

But fundamentally, I think a lot of it comes down to this:

For many, the money to be made owning a team is of secondary importance to the sense of visibility that ownership gives you, whether that comes from sitting courtside during nationally televised games, granting interviews after nationally televised games, or waving at fans from a parade float upon the completion of a successful season. As Noll, of Stanford, told me, “Both product licensing and the broadcasting are things that give substantially enhanced visibility to being an owner of a team. And so if you’re sort of a narcissist, which a lot of these guys are, you really get a lot of value out of the fact that people like you want to interview you all the time.” The only thing that might more effectively scratch that itch these days is buying Twitter.

Silva 5, The Jitty Slitter and mebeSajid repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    To a lot of players the wages they command are a salve for their egos. If they are the highest paid player in the world, that’s a sign, to them, that they are the best player in the world. If Renaldo still sees himself as the best player in the world, which I believe he does, he’s going to want to be paid like he’s the best player in the world.

daedalus repped this.
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #32320 DaPrince84, Nov 28, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    we were due another Juventus scandal.

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story checks out.

22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    damn. i remember seeing the thing where they had an agreement to secretly pay c.ronaldo amongst others after they negotiated to reduce their wage during covid shutdown so those losses wouldn't report. this is even more insane.

Shen-O repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's been obvious Juve were crooks since the Pogba sale to Utd

For some reason Football is a business where it is legal to do fraud and corruption on buy/sell of assets

Shen-O, AEAAFC96 and daedalus repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Was Cronaldo there at the time ?

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is they can't do cost control without action Europe wide.

That is the part that is fundamentally broken.

e.g. a team like Arsenal wants to preserve its right to spunk 250m unsupported inflationary football bubble quid into the market to chase the CL rev - otherwise they can never close the gap

daedalus, CarlosKaiser and casoccerdad47 repped this.