Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Try some "american" schools in europe, might need teachers

daedalus and Jamooky repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is USA that fcuked u want to come here?

3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps not the UK, but yes. We're a deeply f*cked up country

Quentin, thebigman, daedalus and 2 others repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    France has pretty liberal laws regarding work visas for people who work from home IIRC.

Poland does too, but that doesn't really address the issue of the day.

5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm heading to Madrid in late July. Perhaps I'll just stay. I'm ace at ordering food in Spanish - so that's a start.

daedalus repped this.
  6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd move to Seville in a heartbeat

daedalus repped this.
  7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strasbourg - I'll go to Strasbourg. Place is dope.

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, I've been telling my wife for a few years now that we need to get out of Dodge. She's finally on board (sorta). I'll keep you posted. ;)

Don't really need to stick around for the Handmaid's Tale simulation that's impending.

Quentin, thebigman, daedalus and 4 others repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I scratched my head slightly then put 2 and 2 together to know where this was comin from. I was away from the news sources today while I watched my son's college team launch a rocket at Spaceport America. (ending in what I believe is called "rapid disassembly"). So didn't see the Supremes ruling until recently.

I'm with you 100%. About 30 years ago I gave some serious thought to working in France, but at that time it didn't look very likely. But that was only to broaden myself by living abroad again, getting fluent in another language, etc. But now as my wife and I start to have somewhat serious discussions about leaving USA, it's obviously motivated by completely different reasons... manifesting an escape.

Completely agree with the latter. But for me I give UK more credit than USA (maybe I'm being generous) *and* in my case there's always the deep and emotional attachment to a certain team in red & white, and to a place I lived and loved in my teens.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rootin for ya. Keep us posted. Maybe you'll have some company.

daedalus and Jamooky repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Makes you a little bit more sympathetic to people that are fleeing civil wars and mass murder, no?

thebigman repped this.
  12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been unsympathetic. The reason why I'm an American is because by grandparents' parents fled Austria-Hungary on the eve of WW1. I get it. Maybe it's time for me to return?

13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    To add to your (our) concerns, Thomas is inviting states to bring cases on access to birth control and same sex marriage to SCOTUS. I almost left in the 70s, but I’m to old to uproot now.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    both the long and the short answers are yes.

thebigman repped this.
  15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, retirement age isn't far off and spending much of it back in thailand is ever increasing in appeal.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England women beat Netherlands 5-1 in a friendly.

I only just saw the highlights, but I thought it was notable that there were at least 6 Gunner gals in this match, 4 of which are our current players. And one of whom, Beth Mead, kept up her hot form by scoring a brace… the 2nd one with utimate confidence and aplomb.

Oh, and perhaps also notable that they played in each other‘s colors: England in all orange, and Holland in white shirts with blue shorts. Go figure.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England women are dope with a good coach

I think they can win the euros

also USA is a nutty fundamentalist country (why don’t they invade themselves?)

England is also a shit show, we have a comedy right wing leader that lies all the time, helps the rich and bleeds middle/lower class people dry

we are coming up to a massive crisis that is seeing thousands strike (good for them) and the reality of brexit is crippling the country

I also want to leave, Spain and France and Italy are beautiful places with great food etc but economic issues

Germany seems a good option or maybe a Nordic country? Ireland is a country that likes Americans too, I am not sure if the visa thing works both ways?

the world has gone mad, I was saying to my wife last night it feels close to a catastrophic event either a world war or climate disaster that is required to change the capitalist mentality of people that’s killing the planet

daedalus and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Sadly we have invaded ourselves, we kill each other at an alarming rate. In the words of Pogo, “We have met the enemy and he is us.”

daedalus, thebigman and GunnerJacket repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    +1

20. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As more Millenials start hitting the 40 mark I think we are going to start seeing just how conservative we are as a group.

Lately my social circle has started expanding again, and I'm hearing a lot of the same sort of talk. The "excesses" we used to shrug our shoulders at, the people we used to just appease or ignore personally are starting to impact how people are raising their families.
    RvW isn't going to be the last reversal seeming from no where reversal. I think it's probably going to be either new legislation about parental rights of the father, something about behaviour during pride (so restrictions of what constitutes reasonable expression), or changes to family law.

I don't really think any western culture is going to be free of it. London has become more socially conservative since I showed up a couple years ago.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Historically speaking, evolution of civil rights only goes backwards when democracy is ceded to authoritarianism. For America to revert back to a more broadly socially conservative society would require legislating away the rights of certain groups and practices based on either random or theocratic principles, either of which would erode the constitution. This isn't impossible in the US, but it would signal the possible end of the US as a democracy.

If, as they say, pop culture is 10 years ahead and politics 10 years behind, then there's hope in that the generations who grew up on John Wayne-era American mythology will fade and be replaced by those who grew up knowing a lot more about the world and other cultures.

That's my hope as a father, anyway.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using BigSoccer mobile app

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a whole treatise I could write about all this shit, but no one wants to read that. All I can say is that I can't abide by this country anymore. I'm tired of being subjected to theocratic nonsense and self-serving hypocrisy. The "American Dream" is a lie and I'm over it. This place is trash.

I will miss baseball though.

danielh, thebigman, Tonerl and 5 others repped this.
    GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i know numbers aren't everything but those are crazy filled in chart for tarkowski. i hadn't expected numbers so high for him.

[​IMG]

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s because Burnley are shit

bad teams can make players look better, especially keeper and defenders

daedalus repped this.