Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather have Zinchenko than Tielemans.

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

Zinchenko is wasted at left back at City

3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Let's not get too carried away, Xhaka also bosses the midfield when he has more time and space on the ball playing for his national team. Zinchenko is very left-footed and would be easier to press in the PL as a CM. If Xhaka leaves and City replace him with Cucurella, he'd be good depth at LCM and LB, just maybe not a regular starter.

Serengeti_Boy, daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I see no strikers have been bought. I doubt Mikel and Edu can attract any players of good quality.

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I got shouted down on reddit and FB for this, but not getting CL football despite it "not being planned for" absolutely ********ing kills getting players. Its easier to get a guy like Jesus when you can say "heres out project, come be a starting striker for a Champions League team".
    Because right now, all we have is a project with 2 inexperienced people running it that has yielded an FA cup, some 7/8 placed finishes and a 5th placed finish.

Not really inspiring stuff.

AEAAFC96 and thebigman repped this.
  6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Jesus will come just for the money. Doubt he cares for UCL.

It's just that we would have to pay through the nose to get him, Gnabry etc

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Of course this is true. Why would any CL level player sign?

It only makes sense for young players on the way up, because Arsenal can pay a lot. It's why Arse might get Tielemanns, because none of the top 4 want him and Utd are probably too stupid to sign him

daedalus repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is one reason why Utd struggle to sign elite players compared to the Ser Fergus era

There are other EPL teams that pay the big money, and are more successful.

Sancho may have already ruined his career by going there :laugh:

daedalus repped this.
  9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Still four days before the window opens. Haaland hasn’t even been officially announced.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, even when we had CL football or if we had CL football, we were never the primary destination. first options went to real madrid and barcelona because of name + history, bayern if you're german, the main italian clubs if you're italian, PSG, chelsea, manchester city, and manchester united because of the money they could put up.

we either snuck young players on the way up, especially out of less money heavy league (like france or holland with nasri or van persie) or real young (with fabregas or bellerin), we take on stars that wanted out/were no longer wanted by their club (with sanchez and ozil), or, hell, we pay a tier over what they were worth for flawed players (with mustafi and xhaka).

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - Nasri and Ramsey were probably the last top talents to sign back in 08 IMO

You could make an argument for Martin O but he had a significant career derailment

I don't think a player like Auba would move to the club at the moment

daedalus repped this.
  12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    good call on ramsey, yeah. i remember him picking us over manchester united. but i think those were his top picks. i remember nasri being rated but i don't recall there being a whole lot of competition for him that window.

i think there were more competitions when he signed for real madrid at 16. i think his various loans were considered successful but there didn't seem to have much competition for permanent signings? i don't know if teams just didn't think they could tempt him away from real madrid or something.

i don't think so either. but, at the same time, if i understand correctly, his choice was . . . us or nothing else after neither real madrid nor barcelona moved for him.

13. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    France down 1-0 to Austria, deservedly so. Deschamps is such an awful coach.

Saliba is playing RCB. Stepped up to try to play an offside trap while his teammates did not, got beat to the cross right in front of the net for Austria's goal.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guendouzi gets minutes for France? seriously?

15. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    France were much better after he came on. Of course, they brought on a young forward from PSG at the same time, so the improvement may not have been entirely due to Guendouzi :)

Nkunku was really good of the bench, too. Much better than Griezmann.

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the Peru/Aus match. The broadcast quality is REALLLLLY poor on FS1. Hoping this isn't an indication of what the WC will look like.

17. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Amazing that Australia took Redmayne into these qualifiers, only made the cut because Arnold was his manager at Sydney.
    He would be like, 7th or 8th best keeper in Australia, is 31, and gets thrown on end of ET to save penalties to get Australia to a WC in his 3rd appearance.

Imagine if England threw Ruddy into the Euro Finals penalty shoot outs? Its almost like that.

Then begins some WORLD CLASS shithousery by
    1. Throwing the Peru GKs water bottle away. It had instructions on all the Aussies likely to take penalties. It explains why he was so weird with his positioning when Mabil was taking his pen.
    2. Dances like a ********ing maniac while the Peru players are teeing up penalties.
    3. When the Peru player is lining up for a pen, Redmayne just wanders off away from the goal to ******** about a little.
    4. Makes a save, then pulls the dumbest ********ing face immediately after.

Would love Australia to play England in the pre WC warm ups just to see some Redmayne/Ramsdale shenanigans.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's not even good at saving penalties either! He was 4 for 31 in his career, so about 13%. That's like 9 points below average! Incredible.

19. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should have an all-out GK 1 competition before we sell Leno

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah I didn’t watch but apparently Ramsdale was atrocious for England today. And he’s been pretty middling for the past six months in all aspects.

Cop Shoot Cop repped this.
  21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Bollox

He’s been fabulous for Arsenal all season hence him snatching the number two keeper slot

Tonight he had no chance with any of the goals - simply horrendous defending . Two were apparently slight deflections as well but I can’t confirm that at this moment

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was good in the first half of the season. He was one of the worst goalkeepers in the league in the second half.

Super Llama repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he was much stronger in 1st half of the season, yeah. once the defense was less fixed, he was more vulnerable.

24. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA