Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City are going to win the title, probably in a walk.

2. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ve been doing a fantastic job at staying relevant after they sell their best players.

3. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tielemans should be at or near the top of that list. Today wasn't his best match, but he has consistently been a key player for them this season.

Jamooky and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    they've done a great job of cycling money and talent. and, vardy aside, their core is young enough to keep the team going OR sell for a shit ton of money.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For lack of a better place to put this...
    Premier League approves trial of permanent concussion substitutes

There is no official start date (perhaps next season?) but HALLELUJAH! They're actually going to try something that's been badly needed and broadly called for... at last. And this stood out for me:

I find the limit of 2 subs per game to be curious. What the argument for having any limit? Size of bench? Concern about abuse?

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Concern about abuse. They should follow Rugby’s lead and have independent doctors evaluating concussion situations.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  7. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pool and Burnley are 0-0 at HT. Pool just seems to have lost their mojo.

Origi is gifted a breakaway after a poor clearance, and blasts the shot off the crossbar, straight down in front of the goalline, with a high bounce for keepr to easily save.

Then Fabinho shoves and kicks out at Burnley defender right at the HT whistle. VAR reviews, and gives him a yellow. Arsenal would not have received the same treatment, based on objective evidence from past VAR reviews.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley go 1-0 up. I wonder if we'll see Sean Dyche on his knees breaking down in tears on the sideline if this result holds...

9. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Smokes, Burnley takes all 3pts at Anfield.

No tears from Sammy D yet...

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mistake for looking at this thread before I zipped through the game on my DVR. Certainly there would've been a lot of tension after they scored to see if they could hold the lead, but other than that was there anything in this match worthy of me skimming through it?

11. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say to skip it. But I wasn't watching closely and I had the game on while I was working.

The parts I did see, Liverpool, just didn't have that final shot or key pass to break down Burnley, It's a match I've seen far too many times with many Arsenal squads in the past.

NorthBank repped this.
  12. dm3mdgtr

dm3mdgtr Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Mckinney, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not worth watching if you know the score. Burnley's keeper was huge. Dude played really well but that's about it.

NorthBank repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Halftime fight was fun, and Origi's miss a few minutes before that.

Otherwise, not really.

NorthBank repped this.
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dive.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s been a lot of concern over the injuries at center half, but that hasn’t really been the problem.

The midfield is aging out and they and the attack are burning out. It’s a thing that happens to Klopp’s teams without constant renewal.

That’s not a criticism, btw. He’s won them and Champions League and their first league in about 400 years, and produced two of the probably 5 best English top-flight teams ever. His way is totally worth it.

16. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “The state of the game.”

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    just thought i'd . . . . note that fabinho appeared to have kicked out at whoever at the half-time whistle to, i believe, a yellow. they only showed one replay but, for me, it looked more obvious than when perreira was sent off for west brom. and if it was one of our players, i'm pretty sure the hague would have been contacted.

also . . . westwood appears, once again, to have stuck his nose into shit. with no repercussion.

18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't follow klopp particularly closely but didn't that happen to him at dortmund as well? because of the high intensity, without constant refresh, they burn out?

indeed.

Tonerl repped this.
  19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst start to a season in a million years and somehow we're 7 points behind pool.

The Jitty Slitter and NorthBank repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup he “earned” that PK.

And it’s BY FAR the thing I dislike the most about the modern game.

And it would be pretty easy to rid the game of this cheating if they had the balls.

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's strange Klopp has become Kloppiola - ending up with loads of possession and subject to counters

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We are only 2 points behind Tory Frank who spent 200m

Silva 5 repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There has been a lot of nonsense written about what happened at BVB (not having a go at you) and I expect the tropes to be wheeled out. I've written big posts about it before, as the collapse and recovery is one of the remarkable stories in football and a testament to Klopp's ability as a coach - its why i wanted him at Arse.

As Hummels himself said, it was more an emotional burnout than a physical burnout, and it was sparked by some remarkably bad luck. With a string of bad results they lost their mojo and ended up in the relegation spots. I think it is that special Klopp intensity within the squad that can go wrong and maybe similar to what is happening now.

Hummels himself describes how he was comfort eating pizza - which was completely unprofessional but illustrative of how a lot of little details went south all at once.

tldr; there was no one magic reason for what happened at BVB but it is illustrative of how when a high performance culture goes wrong it can be difficult to recover

daedalus repped this.
  24. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do you propose?

Years ago before VAR I had the idea that if a dive led to a goal like a pk then the FA could review it and issue a 3 match ban.

25. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    This season is insane. I wonder how much fans not being there is affecting it, home games don't carry the clout of the crowds so it's not that daunting for a side like Burnley to travel to Anfield.