VfB Stuttgart- 06/07 thread #3 (R)

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Dead Fingers, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that Leverkusen had gone out and made superstar signings like what BM are doing, but relative to how they finished this year, they are obviously looking to strengthen up their squad and their depth and make a push for a higher position next season. Just being that active in the market seems to say they're trying to make a push.

Now, BM is just in it's own league when it comes to how much money they're throwing around, but I just hope that it doesn't pan out for them (although I've enjoyed watching Ribery in the past, it's a shame he chose to go there).

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally agree! But I believe Bayern has bought at least next season's title.....

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Obviously, I'm a Stuttgart supporter, but I'm still glad that Bayern bought those players, because they'll make the Bundesliga more attractive.

I also think that Bayern is the favorite for next years title, but then again, who would have thought that Stuttgart would win this year?

So there is still hope.

Anyways, we'll have to concentrate on ourselves, because we have to fight hard if we want to secure a top 3 spot next year. Bremen still has a team with which it can compete with Bayern in theory, Schalke will be at least as strong as this year, maybe stronger without as many injuries as this year, Hamburg will be back and Leverkusen will also try to improve on last season. And then there's always a surprise team...

We don't have to hide though, we still have a great team, but it won't be easy.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, this will sound bad, but I swear I don't mean it badly.

I believe and many others believe you guys were a weird champion for the weirdest Bundesliga season ever.

Now, we're going back to "business as usual" in the Bundesliga. Two or three seasons of Bayern domination before they either implode (FC Hollywood Syndrome) or someone steps up to challenge them.

You guys were a nice story this past season, but I don't see you guys or anyone else touching them for the next season or two.

I think the only ones who will come close are Bremen and Scheisse and only if Bremen solves the Klose issue.

And their solution to that might be selling him to Bayern!

I agree for the most part. I think you guys have a very good team, not a "great" one.

I think there will some coming back down to earth, but you guys are definitely good enough to finish in the top three.

Most definitely.

5. Fußballgott

Fußballgott Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Gekas and Helmes are needed as after Berbatov also Voronin is leaving,
    Friedrich and Sinkiewicz replace Juan and Roque Junior.
    All good signings but basicly they just swap players and I don't think they got stronger. Maybe after a few years as they have a very young squad.

6. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that getting some of these players at BM can make the bundesliga more attractive to people that don't already follow the BL or give it very much credit. I guess I'm just jealous that we don't have the same kind of cash to spend on upgrades to the club (either team, facilities, staff, whatever). However, who knows, we may have a team of young stars that is only going to get better next season and will be able to hang in there with the improvements BM is making and can be even with WB and S04 w/ regard to quality and fighting BM for the title.

7. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Any word on Omar Bravo wanted by Armin Veh and Stuttgart .

Germany local media highlighting Bravo and Stutgartt

http://sport.ard.de/sp/fussball/news...dt_aus.j html

http://www.manager-magazin.de/sport/...487859,00.html

Reported on Monday

Same old news

Stuttgart Linked With Omar Bravo The Swabians have been linked with the Mexican international striker.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=325531
    Vergara doing most of the talking , knows what that means :rolleyes:

Looks like Stuttgart will be keeping a close eye on scronny Omar, during Gold Cup and Copa America

8. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm back from Greece!

From what i hear there hasn't been too much happening. Huntelaar rumour i never heard again, Alves remained too expensive and now it seems Gomis would also have been too expensive. I keep hearing about Bravo as the most likely candidate at the moment to join our side, so i might tune in to a couple of Gold Cup games to see how he is. Btw, congratulations to Osorio, Pardo and all the other Mexicans on qualifying into the next round of the tournament!

9. Chivasporas

Chivasporas Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Osorio did pretty good for us last night but I dont know whats up with Pardo, ever since he has come back, he has been playing like crap. Well the whole team has, Im mostly blaming it on our coach because the players look unmotivated and disorganized out there but still, Pardo has been nonexistent and his passes have been way off. Hugo our coach better do something quick because us mexico fans are starting to loose our patients.

10. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Well then why do we even play the league then. Just give Bayern the title already.

You believe too much on paper football. Everybody expected FC Barcelona to win their second league title in a row after R.Madrid had a very difficult season and they had won the CL. And now Barcelona might not win the league.

Bayern has made the necessary signings to compete, assure being among the top 3 clubs in Germany. But I don't think signings guarantee a league title. It only increases the chances of winning it.

11. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    No, i agree with footyfan. It'll be an enormous surprise to me if Bayern don't become champions next season.

12. Fußballgott

Fußballgott Member

Jul 28, 2006
    This time Bayern's signings are not only expensive. They are very expensive and even make sense. Maybe if they fail to solve their defense problems...

If that would be true I don't think he would play Copa America.

13. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn

I disagree. He will most likely play Copa America as the Mexico NT lacks many forward attack players. Copa America will be the true test for Omar and see what he can do with opponents compare to the mediocre Gold cup competition. Have to say Omar has been a complete workhorse this Gold cup with very little help from the team.

Omar in my opinion is too light weight, but he can prove most of us wrong.

Any othe rumors or options for a striker for Stuttgart next season ?

14. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Names i've heard:
    - Bravo
    - Gomis
    - Huntelaar
    - Alves

At the moment, no one of these four besides Bravo seems realistic.

15. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Sure, they are the top favorite, but i agree with Memento,
    the season must be played. I remember a simliar situation
    for Bayern in the mid 90s. They finished 6th in 94/95 standings, qualified for UEFA-cup (which they won won in may 1996), bought in the summer break Klinsmann, Sforza and Herzog, were clear favorite for the title, had a very good start, but in the end Dortmund made it.

16. richo

richo Member

Jun 1, 2007
    California
    I agree. Big signings don't always pan out on the field. Last summer when Barça signed Zambrotta and Thuram I thought they had solved their one weakness. While neither played badly, something happened to the team's chemistry (IMO the coach failed them) and in the end they choked. Bayern sure looks good on paper, but I'm not yet convinced. Luca Toni needs someone who can deliver him the ball consistently. Without that he is largely ineffective (World Cup 06). Now if they hired Fabio Capello I would bet the house on them.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Mexico has had as much as it can handle from the "mediocre" competition they have faced in the Gold Cup. Geez, they nearly finished 3rd in their group, and neaded something like 50+ minutes of a man-advantage and extra time in order to beat Costa Rico to advance past the first knock-out game 1:0. Just to be fair, I'm not exactly happy with the way the US has played either, and I'm apprehensive that both teams will be struggling when they play in Copa America.

18. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    A new rumor has appeared:

Heldt has confirmed that Stuttgart is interested in Brazilian striker Ewerthon from Real Saragossa.
    Saragossa supposedly wants 10 million €.

I have to say that I'm against that kind of move. Ewerthon didn't really have a great impact in Spain. Especially the 10 million seem to be way too high. Saragossa payed 2.3 million for him two years ago when he had a better record than he has now (and was two years younger).

I hope that this is just a tactical maneuver by Stuttgart in order to bring down the transfer fee for either Gomis or Alfonso. The glimpse of hope that I have is due to the fact that Heldt confirmed an interest in Ewerthon which he usually rejects as it wouldn't really help in negotiating the transfer fee.

19. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    As an American Stuttgart fan I have to say that when it comes to international matches I hope every Mexican player stinks up the pitch. Including the Vfb boys. Will never root for them unless they are wearing a Stuttgart shirt.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm a BVB guy and I LOVE Ewerthon. He would score goals in the Bundesliga, but in Dortmund he had a problem what wasn't very well publicized.

The guy could miss open nets with the best of them! We had a pair of strikers who were the best at missing open nets in Ewerthon and Koller.

Before we actually sold him, I wanted to sell him when he was still worth about 6M and replace him with Cacau. That was well before Cacau signed with you guys.

Back then, I had a friend with BVB management's ear, but they didn't listen.

Now, my BVB buddies try to conveniently forget that when they see what Cacau is doing for you guys.

Back to Ewerthon. I'm with you dude. I'd pay 3-4M for him just because of how dangerous he is and knowing he'll put up 10-15 goals.

But there's no way in hell he is worth 10M. No f#ckin' way!

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, I stated my opinon. Last time I checked that's what people do here. :rolleyes:

22. Fußballgott

Fußballgott Member

Jul 28, 2006
    welcome

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    According to the official VfB page, Streller will leave us to go back to swiss club FC Basel. With Tomasson (Villareal) and Ljuboja (Napoli) destined to leave as well and Nehrig going to Fürth, I'm sure that we'll get another two strikers.

Manuel Fischer, our nxt big hope, is still too young (17), but I'm sure that he'll follow into Gomez' footsteps before too long (Those of you who haven't heard of him yet, you better memorize the name)

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    And another recent rumor: Ricardo Oliveira from AC Milan.

I don't think this will happen. Milan wants to get rid of him, so his transfer fee won't be too high, but his salary will be. Plus, except for his first season with Real Betis, he didn't really play that well. I'd rather have Ewerthon...

I'm still hoping for either Alfonso or Gomis, but it seems more and more likely that Ewerthon will come...but, with Streller gone maybe I'm allowed to dream a little and we'll get Ewerthon AND Alfonso/Gomis.

25. Fußballgott

Fußballgott Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Ewerthon 5 mio (my prediction) and Afonso/Gomis 10+ mio?
    I think it's more likely Tomasson and Ljuboja will sit on our bench next year.
    Now we need two strikers, oh great...

Edit: I also don't see why Gomis always gets rated so much higher than Ewerthon?
    As a support striker in our 4-4-2 behind Cacau/Gomez or on the wing in a 4-3-3 IMHO Ewerthon would fit in nicely. And with his 10 goals in Ligue 1 Gomis is still only a talent compared to Ewerthon who does that every session (except last because of injuries). Also Ewerthon reportedly has already declared he would like to play for Stuttgart. So why Gomis?